Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Filth by name; thick by nature. A thread for banal police stupidity

Do sidecars have lights? If not, I agree that it would be insanely dangerous to fit them on the starboard.

If a driver does not know near side and off side they should not be driving
TBF, I don't drive and I know what nearside and offside are.
Because I grew up rural and used to ride horses. (Nearside is the side you mount from, in a right-handed world where you keep your right hand free for your sword when mounting - it's cavalry terminology).
It's kind of archaic/class-based language in a way.
(I mean not everyone who rides is posh, I certainly am not, but it smacks a bit of the hunting set)

Last edited:
I suppose a couple of black kids in Southampton weren't hassled with racist stop and searches that day, so there is an upside to the story.
Is the upside at the front of the car or the back, though?

Offside and nearside being in the highway code assumes the person being questioned is a qualified driver. Doesn't apply to a lot of passengers and probably a fair few drivers. Imagine a totally innocent driver who'd been hit by another car on the way back from the football being asked if he was offside.

The cop in the OP - maybe that could be used for harsher treatment for cops who actually do terrible things. "Chief Constable, I understand that you don't want to take any action after this regrettable incident where your officer spat on a homeless person and burned all their belongings, and sent a video to their mates of it, even though it has been found that he also beat up another suspect and planted evidence, but I present you a precedent where someone in the same role got demoted for selling one pair of unlabelled police pants."

hence the reason in regards to boats, ships and aircraft we refer to port and starboard and in the performing arts world reference is made to stage left and stage right ( or Prompt and Opposite Prompt , which is great until you get a house with Bastard Prompt)

while clinically we refer to left and right sides , dorsal / palmar or ventral and medial / lateral anchor the description of the sides of a structure regardless of the orietnation, movement and articulation of the rest of the body
Seems useful to me to have defined terms that don't depend an which way you are facing. Stage left is easier than left if you are facing the audience.

TBF, I don't drive and I know what nearside and offside are.
Because I grew up rural and used to ride horses. (Nearside is the side you mount from, in a right-handed world where you keep your right hand free for your sword when mounting - it's cavalry terminology).
It's kind of archaic/class-based language in a way.
(I mean not everyone who rides is posh, I certainly am not, but it smacks a bit of the hunting set)
I’m trying to imagine how you get on a horse while keeping your right hand free for sword fighting, and it’s making me think you’d approach the horse’s right hand side. (Which may be wrong, I’m not at all equestrian). But that would be what someone confidently stated was the “offside” earlier in the thread, and now I’m even more confused.

Reactions: tim
Oh, like when you learned to drive?
Yep, in 1980. We knew our nearsides from our offsides back then. The piano player in a band I was in gave me my first few "driving lessons" in his car before I started paying a proper driving instructor. Funnily enough, a few years later the bandmate joined the filth :eek: so I told him he no longer existed in my life. It was a bit sad really as he was always a nice lad (before joining dibble and turning up in our pit village to help break the strike). He was shit hot on the ivories as well.

Yep, in 1980. We knew our nearsides from our offsides back then. The piano player in a band I was in gave me my first few "driving lessons" in his car before I started paying a proper driving instructor. Funnily enough, a few years later the bandmate joined the filth :eek: so I told him he no longer existed in my life. It was a bit sad really as he was always a nice lad (before joining dibble and turning up in our pit village to help break the strike). He was shit hot on the ivories as well.
Well I learned not much later. I think I passed my test in 1983. Nobody told me about nearsides and offsides. It sounds American.

I think it's motor trade lingo. I suspect I picked it up from a car mechanic mate who was always helping me patch up my car.
Oh, well they make that up in order to fleece people.

I remember many years ago (30! 😳), when I first started visiting Staffordshire, I had a Metro that kept breaking down. A friend of my step father in law’s was a mechanic and had a look at it in the drive as a homer. He was chatting away to me and told me if he was me he’d do something or else (I forget what now) to “save the myther”. Thinking this was a term like “torque” or something, and not wanting to show ignorance, which might cost me money, I nipped inside to see if Bill or my partner’s grandad (a retired lorry driver) knew what it meant. They both laughed out loud. It means “the hassle”. Which I now know. But I never lived it down while they were both alive.

Back
Top Bottom