Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ban leaf blowers!

Not "the workers," comrade. Just the one specific person. You do accept that some people may not be that good at their jobs or have an off day, yes? Even leaf blowers.
:confused:
Does having an off day make them louder, or more two-strokey?

And I think the reason they don't use electric ones is because they'd need to be powered... by a noisy generator.

And I think the reason they don't use electric ones is because they'd need to be powered... by a noisy generator.
Suddenly I don't care about talking to you about noisy, polluting leaf blowers.

Suddenly I don't care about talking to you about noisy, polluting leaf blowers.
andysays explained why they need them. You replied with

"You do accept that some people may not be that good at their jobs or have an off day, yes? Even leaf blowers."

What on earth does having an off day have to do with noisy leaf blowers or why they're necessary?

Perhaps you should write to the council, editor, and ask for the estate grounds people on your estate to do their work later on in the day

Councils and indeed private gardening companies are now moving towards battery operated machinery which are better for a number of reasons, including being less noisy.

These are a relatively recent innovation, as the battery technology has improved in the past few years. But councils are understandably not in a position to simply junk all their existing machinery and replace it with battery powered overnight, so those residents who are still in bed when much of the working world is already going about their daily business will, unfortunately, have to suffer their sleep being disturbed occasionally by blower, mowers and hedge cutters a while longer :(

Not "the workers," comrade. Just the one specific person. You do accept that some people may not be that good at their jobs or have an off day, yes? Even leaf blowers.
You're the one calling for all leaf blowers to be banned.

You're really excelling yourself on this thread, apparently because your sleep has been disturbed a few times by people simply carrying out their jobs. Maybe you need to get a little perspective.

Councils and indeed private gardening companies are now moving towards battery operated machinery which are better for a number of reasons, including being less noisy.

These are a relatively recent innovation, as the battery technology has improved in the past few years. But councils are understandably not in a position to simply junk all their existing machinery and replace it with battery powered overnight, so those residents who are still in bed when much of the working world is already going about their daily business will, unfortunately, have to suffer their sleep being disturbed occasionally by blower, mowers and hedge cutters a while longer :(
A friend of mine has a battery powered DeWalt leaf blower. It's all but useless. It's OK for dry leaves but it's crap on wet stuff... and who has dry leaves in Autumn? I have a Stihl BR700 backpack jobbie that makes his battery powered thing look like a hair dryer. Maybe there are bigger and better battery powered ones but I wouldn't like to be trying to earn money with the thing he has, and it's supposed to be a pretty decent one.

A friend of mine has a battery powered DeWalt leaf blower. It's all but useless. It's OK for dry leaves but it's crap on wet stuff... and who has dry leaves in Autumn? I have a Stihl BR700 backpack jobbie that makes his battery powered thing look like a hair dryer. Maybe there are bigger and better battery powered ones but I wouldn't like to be trying to earn money with the thing he has, and it's supposed to be a pretty decent one.
It's OK, we'll just go back to raking the leaves up by hand, and using old school push mowers to cut the grass and hand shears to cut the hedges.

We'll need to triple the workforce, but I'm sure ensuring those in the crucial night time economy who can then sleep undisturbed while the rest of the world works in silence around them will be willing to pay for it :thumbs:

You're the one calling for all leaf blowers to be banned.

You're really excelling yourself on this thread, apparently because your sleep has been disturbed a few times by people simply carrying out their jobs. Maybe you need to get a little perspective.
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise

We had some electric leaf blowers where I worked and they were terrible. Underpowered, generally feeble.

It's OK, we'll just go back to raking the leaves up by hand, and using old school push mowers to cut the grass and hand shears to cut the hedges.

We'll need to triple the workforce, but I'm sure ensuring those in the crucial night time economy who can then sleep undisturbed while the rest of the world works in silence around them will be willing to pay for it :thumbs:
Or we could just suggest earplugs.

There's no way a leaf blower is better than a rake or broom that is being used by someone who knows what they're doing (i.e. me). And leaf blowers make you look a right tit.

Why cant the leaves be left on the grass to rot away..and feed the worms and bugs.

The only leaves that need clearing are the ones on roads. They can be hazardous. But wet leaves in the garden could be left tot into the soil.

They can be heard resonating all around my block at ungodly hours multiple times every year and the blowers - or maybe the operators - sure don't seem to be very efficient judging by the time take to clear small patches.
Maybe they are not paid enough to sufficiently incentivise them. Are they still employed by the Council or are they now employed by Veolia or similar?

People only ever want to ban things if said ban won't negatively affect them. I say keep leaf blowers, but to balance it out, ban children from supermarkets.

Living abroad has taught me what a weird attitude to kids we have in Britain. We're not nice to them in public.

I use a inflatable kayak a lot. I'm thinking of using a blower as a method of propulsion. This could work and be great fun!
If you're basing that on Newton's third, you might want to do a little experiment, prior to heading off up the Amazon, and see how much force it takes to hold the nozzle. I fear you may be slightly disappointed. Although if you place the inlet below water level, and use the outlet in a similar fashion to that of a jetski, you might get somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom