Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Snooker Championship 2022

been a ronnie fan for years

odd watching him play this as you can see he want the hell out of it

aside from the odd bad shot he is not show boating
or even messing around changing hands that much

He is, but it's far from flawless. Trump's making it easy for him.

Hendry is my favourite commentator, I think. Cos of who he is, he can criticise everything and he's usually right. I think he's dead right that Trump needs to go for his shots. If he keeps missing, he loses quickly, but if he doesn't even try, he just loses a bit more slowly.
Trump does go for risky shots. Sometimes they pay off and are quite astonishing but other times he simply fucks up which O'Sullivan will immediately punish. I missed the second part today but I take it Trump is taking a pasting? I doubt he'll win from the performances I saw.

Trump does go for risky shots. Sometimes they pay off and are quite astonishing but other times he simply fucks up which O'Sullivan will immediately punish. I missed the second part today but I take it Trump is taking a pasting? I doubt he'll win from the performances I saw.
That's the point Hendry was making. Trump turned down a couple of long pots that he'd normally go for because his long game was clearly off. Hendry was saying he'll just lose if he does that. Then he did start going for them in the last couple of frames and got a really good long pot but unluckily went in off and O'Sullivan cleared up.

I think Trump's toast. But you never know. It's not unprecedented to win from here.

That's the point Hendry was making. Trump turned down a couple of long pots that he'd normally go for because his long game was clearly off. Hendry was saying he'll just lose if he does that. Then he did start going for them in the last couple of frames and got a really good long pot but unluckily went in off and O'Sullivan cleared up.

I think Trump's toast. But you never know. It's not unprecedented to win from here.
It's a shame I don't have the time to sit and watch it in its entirety; it's a bit of a long haul time wise. I find snooker a joy to watch though and I generally don't watch much sport at all.
So I only really saw the final part of Trump vs Williams, where Williams made a formidable comeback only to lose, and the first five or six frames today which put O'Sullivan in the lead. O'Sullivan was on fire really and took advantage of Trump's mistakes. If it continued on that course then it's O'Sullivans for the taking.

Is it more impressive to win 7 titles over an utterly dominant 9-year span or 7 titles over a 21 year period in which you were always in the mix? There’s a case for either, I feel.

I'd really gone off O'sullivan over the past few years. I just thought he was a bit of a bellend constantly boring on about retiring and moaning about the game. I got to the point where I thought 'well just fuck off if you don't like it.' Then I saw this interview with him recorded recently and he came across really well. I guess when he's only giving snippets of comments he can come across like a twat but he's much better when he talks for longer. I can understand a bit more where he's coming from now.

That's really interesting, Doctor Carrot ta. Particularly from 20:40 - suffered from Imposter Syndrome even though winning as much as he did, thinking that he'd played rubbish and people had let him win, had to go and watch some of his games on Youtube to see how well he'd actually played. At 20:25 he says "<something> really helped me" - what is it he said?

I like that he treats tournaments that he's on holiday - he's done all the work beforehand so just goes and plays. He runs, goes to gym, has a chef sorting his food and good friends as great company.

His biography made me laugh as during his early tournaments (including his uk championships win aged 17) he'd spend all the time between matches in his room playing playstation and smoking spliffs instead of on the prcatice table like all the other players. Most other players are boring and the sport would be nothing without him.

There was one final where he had uncontrollable sniffs all through the match and i bet he was doing coke at that point

also didnt know (or forgot) that jimmy white had a crack problem!

anyhow, Ronnie utterly dishing out punishment in this final

i wont link but Express report Virgo and and Dennis Taylor are retiring from commentating (or rather BASTARD BBC AXE OUR HEROES etc)
Personally Ive come to love John Virgo....Dennis Taylor is fine too - i like his energy - but ive noticed he gets his analysis wrong a bit these days

"I wouldn't have been like this 30 years ago, I would have been fighting my corner," Virgo said.

"But I've realised – and it's taken me a long time to realise it – not to get caught up in something you have no control of. I can't have any bad feelings.

"Maybe it's a working-class attitude I've been brought up with but there's b***** all I can do about it, so why get bothered? I'm not going to go round on my hands and knees begging for a job.

"I'm past that. So I'll just get on with what I'm doing, enjoy it and treasure every moment. I understand that you get over a certain age and they want to try something different."

Meanwhile, a BBC Spokesperson said: “The BBC are delighted to have John and Dennis as part of our snooker team and no decisions have been made past 2023 on what the wider team will look like.”

He got the Irish masters taken off him one year when he tested positive for cannabis.
After which he did make the fair point that it's not exactly performance enhancing. He was very rude about Doherty who ended up with the title instead of him.

i wont link but Express report Virgo and and Dennis Taylor are retiring from commentating (or rather BASTARD BBC AXE OUR HEROES etc)
Personally Ive come to love John Virgo....Dennis Taylor is fine too - i like his energy - but ive noticed he gets his analysis wrong a bit these days

"I wouldn't have been like this 30 years ago, I would have been fighting my corner," Virgo said.

"But I've realised – and it's taken me a long time to realise it – not to get caught up in something you have no control of. I can't have any bad feelings.

"Maybe it's a working-class attitude I've been brought up with but there's b***** all I can do about it, so why get bothered? I'm not going to go round on my hands and knees begging for a job.

"I'm past that. So I'll just get on with what I'm doing, enjoy it and treasure every moment. I understand that you get over a certain age and they want to try something different."

Meanwhile, a BBC Spokesperson said: “The BBC are delighted to have John and Dennis as part of our snooker team and no decisions have been made past 2023 on what the wider team will look like.”
Taylor is really good as long as you don't get him on to the lovely xxx sat in the crowd. I also like Virgo despite his various catchphrases. It's like he feels he has to say them nowadays.

Of the new ones, Murphy is good despite me wanting him not to be. Joe Perry is good too. Alan McManus was really good but not doing it any more it seems. Jack Lisowski has got the gig because he's young and good looking, which is a bit shit really. He's not great.

But all of them are better than Rob Walker. Snooker is a game that should only be commentated on by ex (or current) players. Non player commentators add nothing.

ETA: and out of the anchors, Hazel Irvine is brilliant but all the others are shit. Jason Mohammed in particular is insufferable.

Last edited:
Fucking hell if there'd been drug testing in snooker :eek:
After which he did make the fair point that it's not exactly performance enhancing. He was very rude about Doherty who ended up with the title instead of him.
Weirdly enough, I was wondering yesterday about what drugs might be performance-enhancing for snooker. I think I remember something about something like beta blockers, as they can be good for a sport where being still and relaxed are useful?

Weirdly enough, I was wondering yesterday about what drugs might be performance-enhancing for snooker. I think I remember something about something like beta blockers, as they can be good for a sport where being still and relaxed are useful?
Yep. Even vallium could help.

Iirc Bill Werbenuik was on beta blockers. He also used to drink beer all the way through the match.

Gone are the days when players sparked up a fag when their opponents were on a break.

Taylor is really good as long as you don't get him on to the lovely xxx sat in the crowd. I also like Virgo despite his various catchphrases. It's like he feels he has to say them nowadays.

Of the new ones, Murphy is good despite me wanting him not to be. Joe Perry is good too. Alan McManus was really good but not doing it any more it seems. Jack Lisowski has got the gig because he's young and good looking, which is a bit shit really. He's not great.

But all of them are better than Rob Walker. Snooker is a game that should only be commentated on by ex (or current) players. Non player commentators add nothing.

ETA: and out of the anchors, Hazel Irvine is brilliant but all the others are shit. Jason Mohammed in particular is insufferable.
Hah yeah the lovely wife stuff is so cringey

so, have we ever collectively decided whether Murphy is a tory or not?
I've mentioned it before.
In the 80s it seems coke was around at snooker tournaments a lot. Bit ironic that the Grinder took it though.

They had an open tab at the bar as well.

My experience of cocaine isn't that it steadied anything tbh. Maybe I was doing it wrong.
You're right- it doesn't steady anything

Back
Top Bottom