Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vuelta - Utrecht to Madrid 2022

In the aftermath on GCN earlier the consensus was he did not have a puncture. And from what he said afterwards it also sounded like it. He said he couldn't keep up, he was in last 3k so what was the point.

If the two leaders are suffering, at least they start with 20 k downhill tomorrow which will be encouraging for them and give them an easy start to see how they feel.

In the aftermath on GCN earlier the consensus was he did not have a puncture. And from what he said afterwards it also sounded like it. He said he couldn't keep up, he was in last 3k so what was the point.

Ignore that clown Blythe; he hates Remco because he touched his beloved Ben Turner once.
You can't carry on at that pace with a slow puncture so the 3km rule seems appropriate in this case. Of course my wallet is a bit biased on this matter.

He didn’t appear to have a flat though, he could still pedal. Roglic seems a bit crash-prone. I’m not sure it was the best idea to attack there with big days coming up.

Last edited:
The attack was great - he saw a chance to take a chunk of time and took it. Was just unlucky with the crash.

I always thought the 3km rule was for a crash, not a mechanical, and only for a bunch sprint. Apparently not…

Bad crash this morning; Jay Vine is out so loses KoM jersey. Carlos Rodrigues (currently 4th) is bloodied and green jersey Mads Pedersen was also involved.
Stay safe Remco!

Just caught the finish...good fight for the line 😄

It was a good stage with interesting tactics from UAE. Worth a watch if you have the time. These mid mountain stages are so much better than the high mountains where n one wants to show their strength til near the end - felt like a classics race as did the day before with the break hammering shit out of each other.

Wow, just wow Roglic. The arrogance of Team Jumbo never fails to amaze me. This is so unfair on Fred Wright.

Excuse the translation from a Dutch site.

"Roglic tells on the Jumbo-Visma team site that he has questions about the crash. "How is this possible? I conclude that it is not acceptable. Not everyone got that right. The fall was not caused by a bad road or a lack of safety, but by the behavior of a rider," said the three-time winner of the Vuelta a España.

“I don't have eyes in my back, otherwise I would have widened. Wright came from behind and got the wheel out of my hands before I knew it," Roglic continues. “This was not okay. It is quickly stepped over again and we move on to the order of the day. That doesn't apply to me. This is not the way I want the sport to continue and I want to send that message.”

Richard Plugge: “Brake and use your brain”
Sports director Richard Plugge is happy that his riders share his opinion. “I am happy that Primoz is speaking out, looking in the mirror and also mentioning the behavior of riders. Research shows that in about half of the cases the racing behavior of the riders is to blame for a crash. Do not brake, but push for example. It doesn't surprise me, because every rider has the will to win. I would like to say: brake and use your brain”, says Plugge."

Jumbo really are a classless bunch.

Fred shows some class here -

As does the Bahrain team statement (my italics by the way).

"Just before the stage finished, and while the riders were all still on the road, Team Jumbo Visma released a statement on their website regarding the crash in the finishing straight on stage 16 which led to Primoz Roglic’s withdrawal from the race.

In it, the triple Vuelta winner and the team’s managing director insinuate heavily that our rider, Fred Wright, was to blame for the incident, and for the Slovenian’s injuries.
Team Bahrain Victorious stand by Fred.

It is our belief that this was a racing incident. Unfortunately crashes are a part of our sport and this isn’t the first, nor will it be the last, even though riders do their best to avoid them. The race footage supports this: our rider does not deviate from his racing line before the incident.

We also believe that if a team has certain feelings about an incident on the road, the place to take those up is with the commissaires after the stage rather than a statement online some days later.

It is predictable that releasing a statement such as this leads to vitriol and hate being expressed towards a fellow member of the peloton, which we find most disappointing. We sincerely hope that actions encouraging such behaviour online will cease to happen.
Fred is kind, generous, and incredibly talented. He does not deserve the comments or sentiments that have been directed towards him in recent days."

Ridiculous statement from Roglic.
It's the shit from Jumbo about rider safety that really takes the biscuit.

"Ten years ago, the older riders were sounding the alarm because the younger ones showed less respect, took irresponsible risks, and pushed their way through everything. The younger ones of yesteryear are the older riders of today. But you still hear the same discussion, even though we are a generation ahead. So that has to change. I'm glad that Primoz is speaking out, looking in the mirror and naming the behaviour of riders as well."

Fred has probably been riding as long as the ex-skijumper and certainly has better bike handling skills as I couldn't imagine Roglic staying upright for long in the cobbled classics.
Would just love it if Wright won one of the final two stages.

Ridiculous statement from Roglic.
Hard to see exactly what happened in the footage but Fred Wright doesn't appear to deviate his line so it's just bad luck to Roglic.
Meanwhile Fred will surely have multiple wins in the future if he carries on at this level.

Having survived the Sierra Nevada it's hard to see Remco losing it now.

Several days after the crash and with time to think about it he hasn't exactly endeared himself to people. On the other hand, Fred Wright was very diplomatic at the start today.

Several days after the crash and with time to think about it he hasn't exactly endeared himself to people. On the other hand, Fred Wright was very diplomatic at the start today.
Given how things turned out the best he could've hoped for was 2nd. Would he have wanted that anyway?

I'm sure Les Belges are going mental today what with their first GC win since Merchx.

Back
Top Bottom