Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Autumn Rugby Internationals 2022

Repeat of World Cup final so far, but with 20 mins to go and a red card could be interesting despite England being three tries down

Reactions: Ax^
LOL Wales
I was LOLling just as hard. If ever you could epitomise Pivac's regime there it was, framed beautifully and hung above the fireplace. Albeit against Aus thirds we did show intent, cohesion and flair for the first 55 minutes. Then Anscombe went off to be replaced by the 74-year-old Rhys Priestland, who immediately began to stink up our backline. Then our two most experienced players got subbed for a pair of players who are not and never will be international class and the rest is history.

I actually quite enjoyed it as I was fully invested in a defeat in order to see an end to Pivac. Wales actually delivered some decent rugby and then fell to the ignominious mauling I was hoping for, so all good, really

A few observations that the more enlightened on here may assist with based on a casual watch of a few of the games this autumn:

The sport seems to be disappearing up its own arse ‘if’ the referees are interpreting the rules properly. I say this as the whistle is constantly piping up for a number of infringements. It’s tedious and there’s seemingly no flow…

TMO is going the way of VAR. if there’s a reason NOT to award a try they’ll find it. Added to this is the fact that watching on TV you can either hear the TMO via the commentators say in the ref’s ear ‘possible infringement’ or the commentator says ‘we could be coming back for something’ in the build up to a possible try - almost invalidating everything you are currently watching…

That said:

Ireland - seem to have strength in most positions. Can win ugly. Just hope that they can maintain form for the next 10 months.
Scotland - seem to blow hot & cold. If you catch them in form, they are an entertaining watch
England - overhyped and boring. People keep mentioning the players they have at their disposal but I’m not sure many of them are world class if at all. Jones is a fraud
Wales - a complete basket case. Unsure what has happened to them bar the catastrophic appointment of Pivac (& domestic competition being eviscerated). In fact, I may have answered my own question there

Spot on with regard to the home nations. England have no tactics. Not got the forwards to play 10 man rugby or the attacking strategy to play more of an all court game.

Is there time to rejig the laws (not rules ;) ) before the World Cup? Some games are definitely

I’m not feeling positive about my trip to Marseille in September for England’s first World Cup v Argentina. England have lost their first game of the last 3 six nations, also lost the first game this autumn - against Argentina- as well as the first game this summer against Australia.

A few observations that the more enlightened on here may assist with based on a casual watch of a few of the games this autumn:

The sport seems to be disappearing up its own arse ‘if’ the referees are interpreting the rules properly. I say this as the whistle is constantly piping up for a number of infringements. It’s tedious and there’s seemingly no flow…

TMO is going the way of VAR. if there’s a reason NOT to award a try they’ll find it. Added to this is the fact that watching on TV you can either hear the TMO via the commentators say in the ref’s ear ‘possible infringement’ or the commentator says ‘we could be coming back for something’ in the build up to a possible try - almost invalidating everything you are currently watching…

That said:

Ireland - seem to have strength in most positions. Can win ugly. Just hope that they can maintain form for the next 10 months.
Scotland - seem to blow hot & cold. If you catch them in form, they are an entertaining watch
England - overhyped and boring. People keep mentioning the players they have at their disposal but I’m not sure many of them are world class if at all. Jones is a fraud
Wales - a complete basket case. Unsure what has happened to them bar the catastrophic appointment of Pivac (& domestic competition being eviscerated). In fact, I may have answered my own question there
There does seem to be an inevitability about it.The packs get bigger and more aggressive and the refs spend ever more time micro-managing them to minimise the risk of injury.Alas for Rugby Union disappearing up its own arse😟

Spot on with regard to the home nations. England have no tactics. Not got the forwards to play 10 man rugby or the attacking strategy to play more of an all court game.

Is there time to rejig the laws (not rules ;) ) before the World Cup? Some games are definitely

I’m not feeling positive about my trip to Marseille in September for England’s first World Cup v Argentina. England have lost their first game of the last 3 six nations, also lost the first game this autumn - against Argentina- as well as the first game this summer against Australia.
Can England play any better?. Have they got the talent?. What world class players do they have?.

Can England play any better?. Have they got the talent?. What world class players do they have?.
Farrell, Itoje, and a few others. There problem is Jones’ mad idea that after two phases you can have an attack that just makes it up. I haven’t seen much of England this autumn but what I have seen they seem to be playing Schmidtball from 2019.

Of course a change of Coach could improve things.

As for Ireland I would hope that Farrell has approached ROJ to come in as an advisor for next Autumn. I like the idea of an outside voice coming in and looking afresh at the squad.

One of the things that has bugged me this autumn is the way the SH refs are lax on things like side entry or the way that certain refs make every minor infringement a whistleable offence or like Barnes make up shit like non working comms to make the game about him.

Just had a thought bendeus if you do get rid of Pivac, what chance he ends up at Leinster? Wouldn’t be the worst move for Leinster.
I very much doubt Leinster would touch him. He's a mid level club coach at best. The Pro 14 title was won with a core of excellent/world class players, (Barclay, Parkes, Beirne, Liam, JD2, Owens, 1/2p) plus a smattering of less able players who hit their straps at exactly the right time (Cubby, Gareth Davies, Steff Evans, Patchell, Shingler). The open, counterattacking style they played surprised teams at first but the moment key players were injured or left, or had dips in form, the wheels fell off the wagon, they got worked out and reverted to type: AN Other mediocre Welsh region. Pivac would stink Leinster up badly and I'm sure they know this.

Last edited:
Farrell, Itoje, and a few others. There problem is Jones’ mad idea that after two phases you can have an attack that just makes it up. I haven’t seen much of England this autumn but what I have seen they seem to be playing Schmidtball from 2019.

Of course a change of Coach could improve things.

As for Ireland I would hope that Farrell has approached ROJ to come in as an advisor for next Autumn. I like the idea of an outside voice coming in and looking afresh at the squad.
I’ve watched them a few times, I would have difficulty saying what their plan is, they have a young talent in Smith, but he needs to be used properly.

ROG needs to go to Munster, Ireland are doing just fine with the coaching setup as it is.

ROG is now contracted to La Rochelle until 2027, he’s well poised to take on a more high profile role after the next but one World Cup

England’s main issue is that they have two playmakers who work in different ways, the ball goes through both of them so every backs move they’re too far behind game line and defences are set. Start one and bench one. I would probably go Farrell Tuilagi Slade in midfield and have Smith on from approx 60 mins. But if I’m honest England's coaches need to move on from Tuilagi or at least have a tangible plan B.

Gatland and Robertson are both available and England or Wales may be tempted to try and get one of them if they can.

ROG is now contracted to La Rochelle until 2027, he’s well poised to take on a more high profile role after the next but one World Cup

England’s main issue is that they have two playmakers who work in different ways, the ball goes through both of them so every backs move they’re too far behind game line and defences are set. Start one and bench one. I would probably go Farrell Tuilagi Slade in midfield and have Smith on from approx 60 mins. But if I’m honest England's coaches need to move on from Tuilagi or at least have a tangible plan B.

Gatland and Robertson are both available and England or Wales may be tempted to try and get one of them if they can.
Agree with this, however much I think two
playmakers at 10 and 12 or 15 or one of the wings is better for the game, England always seem to thrive with a dominant ten (bar the last WC)

I very much doubt Leinster would touch him. He's a mid level club coach at best. The Pro 14 title was won with a core of excellent/world class players, (Barclay, Parkes, Beirne, Liam, JD2, Owens, 1/2p) plus a smattering of less able players who hit their straps at exactly the right time (Cubby, Gareth Davies, Steff Evans, Patchell, Shingler). The open, counterattacking style they played surprised teams at first but the moment key players were injured or left, or had dips in form, the wheels fell off the wagon, they got worked out and reverted to type: AN Other mediocre Welsh region. Pivac would stink Leinster up badly and I'm sure they know this.
Dunno really Leinster took a punt on Lancaster when his reputation was dirt, didn’t turn out too badly. Pivac was once NZ coach of the year, and given the quality of players at Leinster if he went there he could Matt O Connor the place up or he could be a success. I guess it’s worth a fiver down at Paddy Powers.

Dunno really Leinster took a punt on Lancaster when his reputation was dirt, didn’t turn out too badly. Pivac was once NZ coach of the year, and given the quality of players at Leinster if he went there he could Matt O Connor the place up or he could be a success. I guess it’s worth a fiver down at Paddy Powers.
Mmm. He really hasn't covered himself in glory at the top level. His lucky Pro 14 and the flukiest 6N championship in history aside. Got sacked by Fiji, for example, who within months were turned into a very competitive outfit by another coach (forget who) before the WC. After the Turks' flash in the pan they were quickly reverting to type when he got the Wales call. My instinct is that they would have continued or even accelerated their downward trajectory with more exposure to him, as with Wales. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him coach leinster but possibly not for the reasons you would 😉

Not quite the internationals but can I just check with people that it's not just my display(s) and the pictures are really washed out all the way through this? :hmm:

Bye, Wayne. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

However, Gatland is a sticking plaster. Welsh rugby still going to shit. Predicted droves of Welsh international players to fuck off abroad due to there being no guarantee of contract renewal after six months. Regions to tank further, production line to dry up even more, etc., etc.

Looks like Wales got nervous that England would get in there first. He'll make them more organised etc. They have potential to be better than they are.

On ROG, he is a Munster man and it is a high profile job and an obvious stepping stone to the Irish one. It's a bit of a mystery why he isn't there already.

Thank god Wales have got Gatland. Means we can’t end up with him :p

Sotto Voce - He's a top coach mind.

Back
Top Bottom