Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Autumn Rugby Internationals 2021

3 wins in a row over the Aussies now. Not as spectacular as the last one but a wins a win. Should have nothing to fear from SA on saturday.

The third weekend is here.

Saturday

Italy v Argentina 1pm, Amazon

This would be a great game for Italy to win, fresh from a creditable performance against New Zealand. I suspect they’ve targeted this one. They have a decent fly half in Garbisi, and Ioane on the wing isn’t bad either.

Argentina will want to bounce back after losing to France. I am predicting Argentina to win by 12.

Scotland v South Africa 1pm, Amazon

Scotland put up a very good show against the Aussies last week. They play with genuine desire to attack, and want to move the ball. They’re up against South Africa who are the exact opposites and play rugby which is effective but visually terrible.

Scotland have mixed up their team with Matt Scott replacing Scott Johnson in the centre. Finn Russell (and coach Gregor Townsend) will want to prove he can beat South Africa by playing rugby, as opposed to whatever the Lions were trying to play this summer.

South Africa have Willie or Roux back at full back, and the flakey Elton Jantjies at fly half. I think if the weather is good, which it’s forecast to be, Scotland can outplay South Africa as let’s face it you can’t outpunch them.

I’m cautiously saying Scotland by 5 points.

Ireland v New Zealand, 3:15, Channel 4

The big one. Over the past few years this has served up some crackers. Ireland losing in the last minute in 2013, the maiden Irish victory in Chicago in 2016 and the ugly battle 2 weeks later. The tense and clinal Irish performance in 2018 when they dismantled New Zealand, at the top of their game the year before the World Cup. Best forget the traditional Irish World Cup quarter final capitulation in 2019.

The All Blacks team is exceptionally strong and is picked to attack with Rieko Ioane at outside centre. Beauden Barrett starts at 10. One to watch is Ethan Blackadder, a superb young flanker. The bench is loaded too.

Ireland have named one change, Iain Henderson comes in at lock. There are rumours of a covid outbreak in camp. This game will be fascinating, Ireland have started to develop their game and will look to play. Sexton will want another win over New Zealand and the All Blacks will want to reassert their dominance over Ireland. New Zealand by 10 points.

England v Australia 5:15pm, Amazon

This is a fixture which England now dominate, they’ve won the last 7 outings; the World Cup quarter final was a clinical performance by the red rose. Eddie Jones has pleased everyone by picking Marcus Smith at 10.

Typically he’s made the obscure selection of Manu Tuilagi on the wing. I’m not sure how good he’ll be at defending, or under high balls, but I certainly look forward to him getting the ball in space. It must be said that the autumn internationals are the time to experiment, and this is certainly an experiment.

Ellis Genge has dropped out with Covid as has Joe Marler) so we have the uncapped Bevan Rodd starting at loosie. Should Will Stuart come on at tighthead, England will have Rodd and Stuart as props :D

Eddie also has a 6-2 split on the bench, with 2 No 8s on the bench, and a no 7 in Tom Curry starting at No 8. No one but him knows why.

Australia also have issues in the front row, due to injuries though not covid. They have drafted in some replacements and have Slipper, normally a tighthead playing at loosehead, which I’m sure Kyle Sinckler will look to target.

James OConnor at 10 and Kurtley Beale at 15 will both be targeted, neither are first choice and both are yesterday’s men. It’s a shame it’s not a full strength Australia team given injuries and players making themselves unavailable. I’d fancied them to make a decent game of it previously however now I feel it’s England to win easily by 12 points.

Sunday

France v Georgia, 1pm Amazon

Don’t know much about this one. A lot of the Georgians play in the French top 14. Georgians love to scrum, but they’re still developing a fuller game. France by 35.

Wales v Fiji 3:15, Amazon

These teams seem to play each all the time. They’re always in the same World Cup group. The Fiji match up has often been a bit of a banana skin for Wales in the past. Wayne Pivac the Welsh coach was previously in charge at Fiji and lost by a single point in Cardiff.

Nevertheless Wales have resisted temptation to pick their first choice team (such as it is given their injury list) and have moved Josh Adams into outside centre (mirroring what they’ve done with George North). There’s a welcome return for Alex Cuthbert on the wing. Ellis Jenkins who made a superb return last week captains and Thomas Young gets a rare start.

Fiji don’t have their superstar Semi Radrada available, or indeed their coaches, who have elected not to travel due to the covid quarantine rules. Viliame Mata at no 8 is one to watch. I’m saying Wales by 14, but not before Fiji excite us, ultimately a lack of art piece will be their undoing.

England Women v Canada, 2pm BBC2

After two dominant Red Roses performances against New Zealand, Canada are the next opponents. Canada are one of the stronger women’s teams, but I don’t know much about them. England have changed their team up a bit, and have a 6-2 split on the bench so I expect this will be a physical contest. England by 15 points.

Oh and to make everyone feel old, Bevan Rodd will make his debut tomorrow, the first England player born this century to do so. If Raffi Quirke comes on at scrum half he will be the second.

the covid alarm in the Irish camp is reportedly over all clear given after PCR tests.

I expect a close game with an NZ win but given that I think our props are better, our back row is better unit although as individuals the kiwis are superior players. While their halves and back three are excellent, both Aki and Ringrose are better than their centres.

I’d like to see us just having a crack and a cut at them. I’d rather see us lose with heart than sterile play, I think our defence will have to be aggressive especially when they call ‘bully’ and play four quick rucks and we’ll have to take all the points available when offered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ax^
You don’t beat New Zealand by being timid. You’ve got to get early points, keep the pressure on the scoreboard and basically have your boot pressed down on their throat the entire game. See England in 2012 and 2019. Line speed is what killed them in 2019 against England.

I think a victory is a doable for Ireland but they’re going to need a few players to have the game of their life.

Scotland are putting up a good battle. You have to score tries against the Boks and they’ve done this in the first half with a marvellous try by Hogg. Breakdown is proving a real battle.

Left 6 points out there from missed kicks which may be critical.

You don’t beat New Zealand by being timid. You’ve got to get early points, keep the pressure on the scoreboard and basically have your boot pressed down on their throat the entire game. See England in 2012 and 2019. Line speed is what killed them in 2019 against England.

I think a victory is a doable for Ireland but they’re going to need a few players to have the game of their life.

doable :hmm:

got a feeling this could be quite a painful 80 minutes
but go on lads have at em

Aye. Decent enough in the first half then blown away in the second. Missing those 3 lineouts didnt help though.

Scotland had the right idea against South Africa, they tried to play and move the ball wide. They just didn’t do it well enough, too many mistakes. Hogg got 2 tries but as ever an error prone performance.

Back
Top Bottom