Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Autumn Rugby Internationals 2022

I do actually feel a bit sorry for Perenara. Stuck in the queue behind Smith who is probably the best half back in the world, still. And I know Dupont is good but I rate Smith above him.

Anyway. Onwards. Next week's gonna be fun.

I think he’s a far better person and role model than Smith who has had some toilet based controversy, Tj spoke out against Israel Folau etc but ultimately not as gifted a player

I can separate the art from the artist. I still like the other Smiths. Despite their lead singer being a racist fuckwit. Not that the kiwi Smith is in that league for a little dalliance in the loos of course.

Cracking batch of games this weekend

Italy, fresh off beating Samoa and Australia begin the day against winless South Africa against 1pm. If Italy pull off a result here it will be a real statement of intent. I’ll probably be out for the Italy game but I’d opt for watching it over Wales v Georgia which kicks off at the same time. I expect this will be a fairly dull game, with Wales’ outside backs making the difference in a team which has a few changes.

Scotland face Argentina at 3:15pm, both teams will fancy bouncing back from a disappointing loss last week. I think it may be a game too far for Argentina who struggle to back up their very best results.

England have New Zealand at 5:30pm, I have a bad feeling about this as I think New Zealand might marry their tenacity from last week against their clinical finishing within the 22 from the Wales game. The ABs will want revenge for the World Cup semi final humbling. England’s team looks interesting with the pacy Simmonds at 6 and JVP at 9, whose quick ball will hopefully allow Marcus Smith a bit more space to unleash a backline including Tuilagi and Jonny May. I don’t rate the bench options for England who are conservative and pedestrian, whereas the New Zealand pine-riders will up the tempo. The All Black team looks decent, though it’s not their first choice wingers, anyway I expect Dalton Papalii and Ardie Savea to be the difference in the back row unfortunately and win by 2 scores. It’s Farrell’s and NZ lock Brodie Retallick’s 100th cap too.

In the evening Ireland face an Australia team who could do with a decent performance after losing against Italy. Ireland to win by a score is my hunch.

Then on Sunday at 1pm France take on Japan. Not seen the teams for this yet but France should win this easily.

Reactions: Ax^
Yeah, agree. We won the slam in 2019 and now this. The speed of regression has been both astonishing and entirely measurable.
It’s simple really for me, a golden age of players ageing and retiring and the replacements not up to it particularly in the tight 5

Conscious my view is as an outsider who doesn’t follow the domestic / URC formats

It’s simple really for me, a golden age of players ageing and retiring and the replacements not up to it particularly in the tight 5

Conscious my view is as an outsider who doesn’t follow the domestic / URC formats
Yeah, that's the simplified version. Add to that the evisceration of the sub-International elite game by an inept and antediluvuan governing body leading to denuded regions and shit academies producing a reduced player pathway, and the appointment of a budget coaching team with zero pedigree and there you have it.

England game started well not

This will be a 20 point + defeat I think

Jones hasn’t a clue, useless lumps like Vunipola, only attacking strategy is Manu Tuilagi running into people. Still giving up penalties too easily, still have Farrell at 12 and Smith is not good enough at international level.

It’s noticeable how few of england’s key players were brought through by Jones which after nearly 7 years in the job is not good enough

Twice England have given away penalties when attacking on the NZ 5m line. You can’t run when you cut your own legs off

Back
Top Bottom