Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Commonwealth Games 2022 - Birmingham

Watched it live tonight, had seats right by the start line. The roar from the whole stadium when Eilish turned down the finishing straight :eek:

Proper hair standing on the back of the neck moment. Incredible run. I have loads of pics but none of the last lap! Too busy yelling along with 25 000 other people :D

Also hell yeah Darryll Neita! Bronze medal. Really pleased for her, she deserved that.

Jake Jarman, oh what a fucking star (I've said that already of Joe Fraser, but this time I mean it). I look forward to the Paris 2024 men's gymnastics knowing who'll be in the team.
I just want to give Joe Fraser a big mummy hug, especially when he feel off the high bar, he's just so great!!

I've really enjoyed watching the diving, especially the synchronised dives, so much strength and artistry.

What led to netball being a solely female sport? It's a good watch, although that sudden stopping must fuck your knees up in the long term.

What led to netball being a solely female sport? It's a good watch, although that sudden stopping must fuck your knees up in the long term.

:)

In answer to your actual question, netball was invented as a women's sport. Was called "women's basketball" at one point. I think they were both invented at the same time. Differences reflected gender expectations of the time.

Last edited:
I’ve often wondered this and your post prompted me to look it up:

Is netball a feminist triumph? Let's discuss

“Netball was invented as a women’s version of basketball, with adjustments to the rules to accommodate the restrictions of late-19th century femininity. Understood as a “non-contact” sport, it reinforced social conventions about gender-appropriate physical activities.”

Girls weren’t allowed to play football at my school, but I was SO glad we could play basketball and move around with the ball. Never hated playing netball, and played for my school, but god was it boring…

I briefly flicked onto my first exposure of lawn bowls this afternoon, and found myself wondering why there weren't two people frantically brushing the grass in front of the ball, like in curling.
Not sure visually impaired bowls with guide dogs around is a good idea. :hmm:

The women's road race looked at bit monotonous until the final few kms, but the men's was a pretty good watch. Both could've been improved with some proper hills.

I think it was Simon Brotherton commentating who came out with this head-scratcher:

"They're between a rock and a hard place, aren't they, but slightly closer to the rock."

For a country who deported Djokovic and almost lynched him for being unvaccinated, this is pretty rich.

Australia's decision to field a cricketer with Covid 19 at the Commonwealth Games has sparked controversy and claims of hypocrisy given the country's hard line on lockdowns during the pandemic - and their decision to deport Novak Djokovic over his vaccination status.

Tahlia McGrath was permitted to play at Edgbaston yesterday despite testing positive. She bowled and batted in the match and also took the catch that dismissed India's star opener Shafali Verma as the Southern Stars took gold.

She batted at No4 without a mask before she was dismissed after scoring just two runs off four balls. McGrath then bowled two overs for 24 runs and also took a catch, when she held up her hands to warn her fellow players not to come and celebrate with her.

But when they won the game, McGrath jumped into the huddle and hugged her teammates. Australian bowler Megan Schutt said afterwards: 'If we get Covid, so be it'.

Gutted for the women's 4*400m team, because that would've been a great way to close the programme. I've always liked the 4*400, ever since Kris Akabusi overtook the American on the home straight in 1991.

The Selecter!

Plus a load of artists I don't know but were better than Duran Duran.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom