Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Commonwealth Games 2022 - Birmingham

It's all a bit silly. Should've just had the Queen declare it open, a brief cheer, and then the athletes move straight to the starting blocks.

For - every tech I know has huge amounts of work from it, a welcome change after the shit show of the last few years

Against - as my workplace is a venue for two sports, and is also the main athletes village, it’s a bloody nightmare getting around and I’ve lost access to my loading bay for a month :mad: :D
This is also my workplace. I was there yesterday to meet students and getting past the sports centre was a right pain in the arse.

We're going to see some women's cricket tomorrow evening (Eng v Sri Lanka, I think) and then have tickets for the Rugby 7s finals day on Sunday. Very much looking forward to the rugby.

I’n enjoying the womens rugby 7s today. Looking like England may not go through automatically as Canada beat them yesterday and they play New Zealand next game up

My friends cousin was a Womens All Blacks 7s team squad member last time round but I think she’s retired now due to a heart issue

England out of the womens 7s.

Now Mens - Uganda v Jamaica. Don’t know what either are like as teams but the Kenya team are v exciting to watch so maybe Uganda are too

Got up early and managed to catch both the men's and women's wheelchair marathon and the men's race before we headed to Edgbaston for a day of cricket.

NZ have set a pretty decent score for SA to beat. Staying for the England match later. Feels much colder than the forecast. Wish I'd brought a jumper 🤣

If anyone is thinking of using the park and ride service for the commonwealth games, I strongly advise you not to. I left the house at 6.30 am, the park and ride buses from Solihull were late which meant we were an hour late for gymnastics. Arrived at the gymnastics and saw less than an hour of action before there was a 90 minute break with absolutely nothing to do. Then they changed the pickup place from the arena to a 30min walk away (not great for my daughter who has a broken foot) so we got a shuttle bus to New Street and then had a 20 min walk to the pick up point where we were told there are no buses. Finally three buses came, one went to great Barr instead of Solihull and one broke down so our bus had to stop and pick up half the people who then had to stand for the half an hour journey. Absolute shambles.

Sorry to hear that moomoo

We have to get from the jewellery quarter to the NEC and then on to Coventry so will allow some more time. I only have 90 minutes from end of my event at Coventry arena to get to Digbeth coach station which feels tight

Sorry to hear that moomoo

We have to get from the jewellery quarter to the NEC and then on to Coventry so will allow some more time. I only have 90 minutes from end of my event at Coventry arena to get to Digbeth coach station which feels tight
I’ll keep everything crossed for you! You should be alright if you’re not using their transport. We didn’t have much choice today because of the train strike but never again!

I’ll keep everything crossed for you! You should be alright if you’re not using their transport. We didn’t have much choice today because of the train strike but never again!
They mentioned shuttle buses to and from the arena to the station. I can see that being a choke point, if all else fails I’m sleeping on my friends sofa in Kings Heath!

That Canadian seriously fucked up the Keirin semi final, but then Chris Boardman confessed he had to look up the rules, so rarely has someone been disqualified under the ten metre rule.

Spent about seven hours on Friday watching the men's gymnastics team final. Tremendous showing from team England, especially from Joe Fraser who is an absolute star. Bit of a mess on the organisational front though, as the team final also served as qualification for the individual all-round AND apparatus finals. No need to condense it down so much, organisers. Stick the qualifications on in the morning/early afternoon, with the finals in the evening. Footage was all over the place too - why were we seemingly watching the Canadian and Australian guys live, and the Brits on recap during changeovers? Who was in charge of the editing?

Back
Top Bottom