Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

Speaking of the NS, they've hauled Hari on board. It's like a mad liberal journo version of the Jolie shambles Unbroken. He's making stuff up already according to Jeremy Duns and others.

I have noticed articles by Simon Heffer appearing recently on their website as well : http://www.newstatesman.com/writers/simon_heffer

Also noticed that the Guardian have hired Matthew D'Arsehola for a nice Tory insider perspective. I thought these were meant to be left wing journals? I guess that's what they mean when they talk about 'diversity'...

i've been trying to think of an ocean's 11 or italian job pun since butchers posted but i'm fucked if i'm clever enough. someone here must be though...

He's making stuff up already according to Jeremy Duns and others.

Dr. Evil: The details of my life are quite inconsequential.
Therapist (Carrie Fisher): Oh no, please, please, let's hear about your childhood.
Dr Evil: Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.
Therapist: You know, we have to stop.

Remember, Mr Albertoni, she's not going out and getting arrested just for journalism.
I've not been keeping up with this thread lately but an admin of the Anarchist Memes page on Facebook just wrote a long heartfelt post about "thin supremacy". Whats the bloody world coming too?

OJ chuffed to be supporting Paloma Faith.

When we heard that author and left-wing political commentator Owen Jones will be opening for Paloma Faith at a couple of upcoming shows, the news came as a definite bolt from the blue – or should that be red?

What subjects will you cover onstage?

Stuff outside the mainstream news agenda – which tends to blame immigrants, unemployed people, public sector workers – rather than scrutinising the people at the top. For me, it’s about the politics of hope.

fat-antagonism? is that being fat and antagonising, or antagonising fat people.

speaking as someone who is fat and antagonising, i still don't actually care.

It would be absurd to ascribe the whole phenomenon of jihadism to sexual frustration, but I don't believe it's an irrelevant point either. Think of Sean South, for example - before he was killed in the first action of the IRA's border campaign in 1956, he was known for going round the cinemas of Limerick, hunting for teenagers who might be engaged in acts of sin (mild kissing, that sort of thing) and forcibly separating them.

Even by the standards of 1950s Ireland, that was an eccentric way to behave, and I don't think it's unrelated to the rest of of South's politics, be it his physical-force nationalism or his anti-semitism.

Fair point. There's definitely a strain of Catholic thought that blames the Jews for the '60s, I'm familiar with that. I haven't heard about it in an Irish nationalist context, but I can certainly imagine how the "logic" would run.

But of course this can only explain why particular individuals get involved, it can't explain the wider historical causes. Plenty of people want it to though, because it distracts attention from the real, political issues.

...its the squeezed middle...

gty_mans_tight_belt_big_waist_thg_120221_mn.jpg

Oddly, I imediatly lose intrest in articles that start off sounding like the beginning of a bad novel.

Back
Top Bottom