Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

I bet our Laurie doesn't speak any foreign languages, I'd like to see her to do a lecture in a second language. Mocking ESL speakers like that is just basic xenophobia, isn't it?
It's really not cool and is downright xenophobic. I work with many ESL people, some of whom speak better English than I do but to mock their accents would be quite rude indeed.

I try to make an effort to learn the basics of a language so I can at least say please and thank you to people, and my accent is not great. It's only polite I think, but I have travelled with people whose idea of learning the language is to shout louder in English.
Mortifying, and how her tweets make me feel.

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/...-womens-room-and-other-bathroom-complications

Those crazy hysterical women.

I could saunter confidently into any restroom that had that outline of a little woman, standing primly in her A-line skirt with her hands at her sides and feet together — you know, the way cisgender women often stand in front of public elevators — and know that if I wasn't her sister, at least all my effort had purchased another Day Pass to FemaleLand. I drew stares, but not blood.

But gradually that effort evaporated. Strip the long hair, earrings, lipstick, mascara, and blush off most cisgender women and you still usually pretty much see a woman. Strip them off me and what you see is ... Richard. And no matter how feminine I feel inside, Richard gets no Day Pass. Richard sauntering confidently into the women's room is ... chaos.

Some women call out, "It's the women's room." The more polite run outside to check the sign and make sure it's not them who are in the wrong bathroom.

Others just glare really hard. I've even had a couple wait outside with their boyfriends to go after me.

And then there are the rare ones who just go off. I was shopping in my favorite high-end South Beach deli one sunny morning when a crazy older woman — not a regular like moi — was busy loudly harassing employees.

She yelled at the guy behind the meat counter. Then she yelled at the woman working produce.
After paying for my exorbitantly expensive goods, I made a beeline for the women's room by the registers. Just as I exit my stall, there's Crazy Woman, standing between me and the door.

Crazy Woman takes one look and — although her voice has been in fourth gear all morning — finds that she can still reach that fifth one in overdrive: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE! THIS IS THE WOMAN'S ROOM! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN HERE!" over and over.

Last edited:
see if this piece, unfortunate language aside, was about any other group facing abuse and possibly violence for going to the toilet this kind of response wouldnt be tolerated on here

It's really not cool and is downright xenophobic. I work with many ESL people, some of whom speak better English than I do but to mock their accents would be quite rude indeed.

I try to make an effort to learn the basics of a language so I can at least say please and thank you to people, and my accent is not great. It's only polite I think, but I have travelled with people whose idea of learning the language is to shout louder in English.

Welcome to my world:

11050733_1088025057890860_3860285318270187312_n.jpg

see if this piece, unfortunate language aside, was about any other group facing abuse and possibly violence for going to the toilet this kind of response wouldnt be tolerated on here
You know women in general face abuse and violence for going to the toilet, right? See when groups of women go to the toilet together in a nightclub, that's not because they want to have a natter in private, it's learned behaviour not to go alone because going to the toilet is dangerous. You risk assault. I don't let my daughter (or my sons for that matter but they're younger) go into public toilets alone. We have only very recently been 'allowed' public toilets as a safe space at all. Plenty of pubs didn't have any women's toilet right up until the 80s. In countries where indoor toilets are not common women have to go out into the fields and risk rape daily just to have a shit. This stuff is not something only trans people have to cope with. As with so much of the abuse they face. It's part of being a woman.
Edit, what we need is far more public toilets of the 'disabled/baby changing' type, which are single gender-neutral cubicles with a lock containing a toilet, a sink and space to change clothes in. That would be safe for everyone. But it's expensive to build so it doesn't happen often. Cheaper to put in a row of stalls and a row of sinks.

You know women in general face abuse and violence for going to the toilet, right? See when groups of women go to the toilet together in a nightclub, that's not because they want to have a natter in private, it's learned behaviour not to go alone because going to the toilet is dangerous. You risk assault. I don't let my daughter (or my sons for that matter but they're younger) go into public toilets alone. We have only very recently been 'allowed' public toilets as a safe space at all. Plenty of pubs didn't have any women's toilet right up until the 80s. In countries where indoor toilets are not common women have to go out into the fields and risk rape daily just to have a shit. This stuff is not something only trans people have to cope with. As with so much of the abuse they face. It's part of being a woman.

who's denying that, but there's is obviously something going on here that is specific to people who are gender non-conforming however they define themselves and I don't really see someone discussing that as being a legitimate point for attack, or a forensic analysis that every word they say is perfect. as I said, other marginalised groups would not, I don't think be subject to such scrutiny, or mocking attacks on here which have more than once lapsed into thinly veiled sneering about them being men really.

this is not a group with any social power, they are not represented in the commentariat except for by leeches like penny, they are not represented anywhere beyond the odd person writing in the lgbt press, the suicide attempt rate for young trans people is almost 50% (compared to 6% for non-trans people), there is clearly something going on here beyond misogyny, I would have expected a more sympathetic hearing

Not denying any of that but i read the whole piece and that article seemed, to me anyway to have a seriously misogynistic and sneering tone, maybe i have read it wrong but it seemed to me that the piece was mocking the very idea that women might get nervous about a man (or someone that appeared to be one) being in the public toilet and suggesting that the problem being with those crazy women rather than pervs and violent blokes who make public toilets a dangerous place for them and for any transgender people too.

Could have read it wrongly though, wouldnt be the first time.

And as i saw this thread ive just read from a trans (I think) SP member on fb that they were just asked to leave a reclaim the night march by a labour cllr who has just voted to cut the funding for womens DV services, be worth doing some digging on this i reckon, looks like a case of 'feminist' posturing to cover up their role in administering austerity that will obviously disproportionately affect women

Last edited:
Not denying any of that but i read the whole piece and that article seemed, to me anyway to have a seriously misogynistic and sneering tone, maybe i have read it wrong but it seemed to me that the piece was mocking the very idea that women might get nervous about a man (or someone that appeared to be one) being in the public toilet and suggesting that the problem being with those crazy women rather than pervs and violent blokes who make public toilets a dangerous place for them and for any transgender people too.

it does ackowledge that, to a small degree, but its not about that, its not even a piece that makes any demands, its just someone discussing their experiences and unhelpful language aside (I think shes trying to be funny, it says shes a stand up comic) it seemed to me quite a thoughtful piece.

also, if you went searching through unknown blogs, or the fringe media belonging to other marginalised groups, not least the terfs, but almost any you care to mention you would find much more virulent stuff, yet no-one is doing that. no-one would suggest that ISIS videos should be used as a starting point for a discussion about racism that muslims face. yet people seem to delight in picking out the most fringe points of view from people who are transgender, which actually often arent all that extreme when you strip them down, and using this to define trans-politics as misogynist. I dont think ive seen another group of political women, whatever their position, being described as misogynist before either, which raises another question, which is that deep down are trans-women actually still considered to be men in so far as they can be political actors.

Likewise. When I'm in France I always try my French before expecting local people to use English. My French is basic, but I know enough to get by and it's a point of principle with me that I use it even if I do have the odd conversation in the dreaded Franglais, where we struggle to understand each other but both make the effort to do so.

It annoys me that so many people, particularly us Brits, have an unfortunate habit of assuming and expecting that, wherever we go, there'll always be somebody who speaks English as though it's some kind of birthright not to have bother respecting other countries culture and language. Talking to a non-English speaker in English and expecting them to be fluent is rude, disrespectful and also impractical. It doesn't matter how loudly or slowly I were to speak in English to a French person unless they too speak English because I'd still just be bellowing at them in a language they don't understand.

Something many Brits abroad do which never ceases to irritate me enormously. Just pick up a simply phrasebook before getting on your plane or ferry, it really isn't that difficult.

Likewise. When I'm in France I always try my French before expecting local people to use English. My French is basic, but I know enough to get by and it's a point of principle with me that I use it even if I do have the odd conversation in the dreaded Franglais, where we struggle to understand each other but both make the effort to do so.

It annoys me that so many people, particularly us Brits, have an unfortunate habit of assuming and expecting that, wherever we go, there'll always be somebody who speaks English as though it's some kind of birthright not to have bother respecting other countries culture and language. Talking to a non-English speaker in English and expecting them to be fluent is rude, disrespectful and also impractical. It doesn't matter how loudly or slowly I were to speak in English to a French person unless they too speak English because I'd still just be bellowing at them in a language they don't understand.

Something many Brits abroad do which never ceases to irritate me enormously. Just pick up a simply phrasebook before getting on your plane or ferry, it really isn't that difficult.

"Well Spain would be fucked without tourism so they should all speak English." I've heard people on holiday in Barcelona say this. I hope they drown in the Med because they don't know how to shout "¡Socorro!"

"Well Spain would be fucked without tourism so they should all speak English." I've heard people on holiday in Barcelona say this. I hope they drown in the Med because they don't know how to shout "¡Socorro!"

Well, if I didn't know the phrase 'Je suis diabetique' I could be dead if I had a hypoglycaemic attack. So there's a definite practical advantage to learning the basics of a country I'm visiting.

Well, if I didn't know the phrase 'Je suis diabetique' I could be dead if I had a hypoglycaemic attack. So there's a definite practical advantage to learning the basics of a country I'm visiting.
terrible example. im sure your average frenchman would understand the word 'diabetic' as long as you said it loudly enough :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom