Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

It looks like Richard Seymour pinched it off PD's bank loan application for the Girder, changed a few words and took out the betting tips.

He loves his rococo he does.

Bloody hell. No, it's not esoteric politics or "rococo ornamentation" that I find off-putting, it's the overweeningly arrogant assumptions, superior tone and the lack of willingness to actually attempt to explain and examine things that repels me (maybe that's what they mean by "intellectual swagger"). Swearing is not a problem either.

Let's hear what more celebritys have to say so that we can print celeb gossip with a veneer of Radio 4 broadsheet credibility!

There's a discussion on Richard Seymour's Facebook page about prostitution which is heading for 500 posts. Riddled with choosey-choicey liberalism of the sort that denies that there's anything wrong with paying for sex at all. Funnily enough none of them would admit to doing so themselves.

Last edited:
Fetish, you say?

hands.jpg

Perhaps Proletarian Democracy could commission him to do a sex worker review column for Worker's Girder, to keep up with the sex industry positive turn of much of the left. He could rate prostitutes out of ten for their oral sex skills, ideological soundness and how empowerfulized they seem to be.

Andrew Marr has done an article called "British Politics Is Broken" for The New Statesman - like now he realises. One of the major reasons it is broken is because self important people like him have been asleep at the wheel through timidity and an acceptance of an ever narrower, more reactionary agenda. What a plank, trying to look astute for helping diagnose a problem he is a huge part of.

UK's National Union of Students has passed a policy to stop gay men appropriating black female culture.

Delegates at the Women's Conference today, many of them self-identified feminists, have passed plenty of motions.

Just one of them was ensuring everyone at the conference understood that some behaviors were damaging.

On Twitter, they announced: 'Some delegates are requesting that we move to jazz hands rather than clapping as it's triggering anxiety. Please be mindful!'

A later motion passed was 503: 'Dear White Gay Men: Stop Approprirating [sic] Black Women'.

Put forward by the NUS LGBT Committee, they believe the appropriation of black women by white gay men is prevalent within the LGBTI scene and community.

'This may be manifested in the emulation of the mannerisms, language (particularly AAVE- African American Vernacular English) and phrases that can be attributed to black women. White gay men may often assert that they are “strong black women” or have an “inner black woman”,' they said.

'White gay men are the dominant demographic within the LGBT community, and they benefit from both white privilege and male privilege.'

They claimed the appropriation is 'unacceptable and must be addressed'. Passing the motion, they agreed to eradicate the appropriation of black women by white gay men and to raise awareness of the issue.

A second motion passed was the banning of cross-dressing or drag as it could be offensive to trans women.

'To issue a statement condemning the use of crossdressing as a mode of fancy dress,' they pledged.

'To encourage unions to ban clubs and societies from holding events which permit or encourage (cisgender) members to use cross-dressing as a mode of fancy dress'.

This ruling was given an exclusion to queer students who want to use cross-dressing in their everyday lives as a mode of expression and to those who want to cross-play by flipping the gender of a fictional character in fancy dress.

A NUS spokeswoman told Gay Star News: 'We're a democratic society, and if members voted for it, these are our policies'.

Several have mocked the policies online, with the New Statesman calling into question the second motion for being 'remarkably conservative' for a group 'otherwise so much at pains to stress the variety and fluidity of gender'.

Others on social media also questioned the first, saying inspiration for the slang like 'shade' and 'spill the T' was taken from the underground drag culture in the 70s and 80s, Paris is Burning and modern shows like RuPaul's Drag Race.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/...y-stop-white-gay-men-acting-black-women250315

I used to know a guy who would dress up as a woman at any given opportunity. It didn't matter what the theme of a fancy dress party was, he would be there every single time dressed as a woman.

I assumed this was because he really liked dressing up as a woman and didn't get much chance to do so in public. I doubt that he self-identified as queer or as a transvestite - he was quite churchy.

Personally I think all men should be actively encouraged to dress up as women all the time. They might learn something. I certainly did when I gave it a go.

Am I unfairly reading this as '... but it's alright when people we like do it":

"This ruling was given an exclusion to queer students who want to use cross-dressing in their everyday lives as a mode of expression and to those who want to cross-play by flipping the gender of a fictional character in fancy dress."

Back
Top Bottom