Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

I am gullible lol. From following the twitter link it looks like couple others have asked who is who. That is, if quien means who.

That is one odd looking doll/baby. Even worse than looking at pics of oj & his clones
Whos the 2nd pic?
I think it's one of those dolls that screams and poops and cries that they make high school kids carry around in order to dissuade them from having pre-marital sex. I hope so, otherwise Nicolas Cage's cousin Jason Schwartzman has one helluva ugly baby.[/QUOTE]

In her own words:

My glorious career? I won it in a competition
  • Caitlin Moran
  • Published at 12:00AM, November 26 2007

It’s not the way you’re supposed to do it (a bit like Gary Numan marrying one of his fans, or something: not quite done), but I won my career in a competition – like it was an LCD TV, or a year’s supply of Primula.

In 1990 The Observer ran a Young Reporter Of The Year contest, which I entered – primarily out of the terrifying realisation that, as I lived in Wolverhampton, this was about as near as I was ever going to get to an “in” to “the media” – and won. I was 15. Afterwards, the lovely people from The Observer said I’d won because every other entry had been a straight, prim report of some local event, such as a fête, or body-popping tournament. Not having read the rules properly, I did mine in the style of a Kate Adie war report, but on the subject of washing my three-year-old sister’s hair, instead.

Winning the competition, and subsequently being given a weekly column during the summer holidays, absolutely changed my life. Not least because, with the money they paid me – £150 a column! I was the richest person in Wolverhampton, apart from the owner of Cash Converters! – I was finally able to buy a bed, and some tights, and, erm, some fags, but it’s best to ignore that. Primarily, though, the competition acted as a positive invitation to be considered a journalist. I have no idea what it’s like in the present day for lower-middle, working class and underclass kids, but certainly in 1990 – with no prospect of university or “contacts”, or even a train ticket down to London, where all the newspapers were – it was the only chance going.

Anyone thinking of entering a journalism competition should consider a few, brief pieces of advice. 1) Read as many published journalists as you can – study what makes the awful ones awful, and subtly steal what makes the good ones good. 2) Write every day, until it’s as natural to you as eating or thinking. 3) Write as you talk – it’s the quickest way to end what can be a 15-year dilemma entitled “Oh, when will I ‘find’ my ‘writing style’?” And finally: don’t buy fags with the winnings. Apparently, I found out recently, they give you cancer! Unbelievable.​

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/caitlinmoran/article2051041.ece

In her own words:

My glorious career? I won it in a competition
  • Caitlin Moran
  • Published at 12:00AM, November 26 2007

It’s not the way you’re supposed to do it (a bit like Gary Numan marrying one of his fans, or something: not quite done), but I won my career in a competition – like it was an LCD TV, or a year’s supply of Primula.

In 1990 The Observer ran a Young Reporter Of The Year contest, which I entered – primarily out of the terrifying realisation that, as I lived in Wolverhampton, this was about as near as I was ever going to get to an “in” to “the media” – and won. I was 15. Afterwards, the lovely people from The Observer said I’d won because every other entry had been a straight, prim report of some local event, such as a fête, or body-popping tournament. Not having read the rules properly, I did mine in the style of a Kate Adie war report, but on the subject of washing my three-year-old sister’s hair, instead.

Winning the competition, and subsequently being given a weekly column during the summer holidays, absolutely changed my life. Not least because, with the money they paid me – £150 a column! I was the richest person in Wolverhampton, apart from the owner of Cash Converters! – I was finally able to buy a bed, and some tights, and, erm, some fags, but it’s best to ignore that. Primarily, though, the competition acted as a positive invitation to be considered a journalist. I have no idea what it’s like in the present day for lower-middle, working class and underclass kids, but certainly in 1990 – with no prospect of university or “contacts”, or even a train ticket down to London, where all the newspapers were – it was the only chance going.

Anyone thinking of entering a journalism competition should consider a few, brief pieces of advice. 1) Read as many published journalists as you can – study what makes the awful ones awful, and subtly steal what makes the good ones good. 2) Write every day, until it’s as natural to you as eating or thinking. 3) Write as you talk – it’s the quickest way to end what can be a 15-year dilemma entitled “Oh, when will I ‘find’ my ‘writing style’?” And finally: don’t buy fags with the winnings. Apparently, I found out recently, they give you cancer! Unbelievable.​

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/caitlinmoran/article2051041.ece
She had to buy her own bed at age 15? Is she really trying to push the cliche of grim up north(in the midlands,w/e)?

'I think it was having to appeal to all ages, all types, right from the beginning. I wrote my first book at eight, all of four pages. At 10, I did a 40-page story. At 12 I wrote two stage plays. One was called Are You Being Ignored and was set in a supermarket. The other was called Hello Bathsheba about a bloke who breaks his leg playing golf, decides his life is finished and becomes a Buddhist monk. I wrote everything to amuse my younger brothers and sisters - and my parents. I was trying to amuse all of them, at the same time. That's why I can now Entertain the Masses.'​

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ndit----and-typical-teenage-slob-1436595.html

That's quite well written for a local newspaper restaurant review. Loads of the cultural / review type stuff seems to be either syndicated or done by enthusiastic amateurs & work experience kids these days. Probably always has been.

I
That's quite well written for a local newspaper restaurant review. Loads of the cultural / review type stuff seems to be either syndicated or done by enthusiastic amateurs & work experience kids these days. Probably always has been.
Couldnt see anything wrong with that review, it was well written imo & i agreed with most of what she said about pizza ex. It didnt strike me as hilarious in any way.

Christ, it isn't well written, it's crap and a bit daft. but, y'know. kids need to learn how to write, and cheap local media groups need to get their local copy from somewhere too.

Well I understood it clearly, which to me is "well written"! Lol. I am not clever but I couldn't see anything really wrong with it, she described the food/experience clearly.

Back
Top Bottom