Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Uni of Cal - Criticize Israel & you're anti-Semitic

TomUS

non-resident
"Progressive" University of California institutes crazy policy.....
The regents of the University of California unanimously adopted a new policy on discrimination on Wednesday that links anti-Semitism to opposition to Zionism, the ideology asserting that the Jewish people have a right to a nation-state in historic Palestine.

Bonnie Reiss, the vice chairwoman of the Board of Regents, argued that students opposed to Israeli policies, and those questioning the state’s unequal treatment of non-Jews, had fostered a dangerous environment for Jewish students by supporting the effort to pressure Israel to change its policies through a campaign of boycotts, divestment and sanctions, known as BDS.
University of California Adopts Policy Linking Anti-Zionism to Anti-Semitism

Um comparing someones use of one dehumanising expression used to describe people with LD with another charming epithet. On a left wing message board.

Truly my message is opaque.

What do you think of the expression 'retard', as compared to nigger, paki (or more topically - kike or towelhead)?

Um comparing someones use of one dehumanising expression used to describe people with LD with another charming epithet. On a left wing message board.

Truly my message is opaque.

What do you think of the expression 'retard', as compared to nigger, paki (or more topically - kike or towelhead)?

I see. I thought that you were in some way bolstering likesfish's inanity.

I've noticed that if you post the flag of the State of Israel on this board (in what could be perceived as a derogatory way) some people see it as an attack on Jews, they don't appear to understand that around 25% of the population of the State of Israel are not Jewish. All they are doing is pushing the Zionist view that Israel is for Jews only.

And before any starts on about the flag of the State of Israel is made up of Jewish symbols, it isn't the Jewish flag. I'd point out that the United Kingdom flag is made up of just Christian symbols and isn't the Christian flag.

I've noticed that if you post the flag of the State of Israel on this board (in what could be perceived as a derogatory way) some people see it as an attack on Jews, they don't appear to understand that around 25% of the population of the State of Israel are not Jewish. All they are doing is pushing the Zionist view that Israel is for Jews only.

And before any starts on about the flag of the State of Israel is made up of Jewish symbols, it isn't the Jewish flag. I'd point out that the United Kingdom flag is made up of just Christian symbols and isn't the Christian flag.

Where did this happen?

I find them equally obnoxious and that those who use such terms have a world-view poisoned by ignorance and fear. How about you?

I find them equally obnoxious and that those who use such terms have a world-view poisoned by ignorance and fear. How about you?

Likewise. But I'm pretty certain the use of 'sand-nigger' would (rightly) have illicited a swift and vehement rebuke. Not the first time on here 'retard' has gone under the radar.

Justice for LB anyone?

Agreed. If you see it call it and report it.

good plan. And my irritability towards you was unnecessary. Apols.

Sadly:

I have reported the above 'retard' comment; as yet no response. Several months ago a similar post ('retarded'), which also yielded no response or acknowledgement.

editor , are the expressions 'retard', 'retarded' etc at odds with the terms and rules? I have in mind statements on the FAQ eg 'comments similar to racism and sexism', 'bigoted statements', 'small minded bigots'.

good plan. And my irritability towards you was unnecessary. Apols.

Sadly:

I have reported the above 'retard' comment; as yet no response. Several months ago a similar post ('retarded'), which also yielded no response or acknowledgement.

editor , are the expressions 'retard', 'retarded' etc at odds with the terms and rules? I have in mind statements on the FAQ eg 'comments similar to racism and sexism', 'bigoted statements', 'small minded bigots'.

Still no response to either report, nor to question about terms/rules.

Still no response to either report, nor to question about terms/rules.

Don't hold your breath. Disablism seems to get a bit of a free pass at times here. Bear in mind that it's the weekend and the mods have stuff to do irl. as well.

I was told the other day of a quite eminent human rights academic here in the UK recently taking a similar line to that in the OP. The line was taken in private debate and discussion rather than policy, but that's how it starts...

Fighting Israeli Occupying Forces is “Terrorism.” Boycotting is “Anti-Semitism.” What’s Allowed?

But there is a highly successful campaign by Israel and its U.S. allies not only to decree this non-violent boycott campaign illegitimate, but literally to outlaw it. Official bodies are enacting rules to censor and officially suppress it by equating the campaign with “anti-semitism” even though, as fervent Israel supporter Eric Alterman wrote in The New York Times this week, “it is filled with young Jews.”

The Intercept and other outlets have repeatedly reported on official governmental and university actions to ban BDS activism by equating it with “anti-semitism.” In California, the regents of the nation’s largest university system just enacted a resolution strongly implying that BDS activism is anti-semitic and thus in violation of university rules. In New York last week, dozens of state legislators, from both parties, havedemanded the de-funding of a pro-Palestinian group at CUNY, a movedenounced by the campus free speech group FIRE. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, when running for office, announced that BDS “has no place on Canadian campuses.” In France, people are literally arrested as criminals under “hate speech” laws for wearing t-shirts advocating BDS. Measures in the UK have been enacted to legally bar support for such boycott movements. Laws and proposed bills in Israel ban advocacy of the movement and bar supporters from entering Israel.

Back
Top Bottom