Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Joe Biden has said that if Putin uses chemical weapons Nato will respond in kind.

But he hasn't elaborated what exactly in kind means, Nato doesn't have any chemical weapons so it doesn't mean that.

Joe Biden has said that if Putin uses chemical weapons Nato will respond in kind.

But he hasn't elaborated what exactly in kind means, Nato doesn't have any chemical weapons so it doesn't mean that.
Him saying “in kind” is just very silly. It means nothing, what a daft thing to say. For weeks now they’ve been blathering on about what response they would make to chemical weapons being used and to date haven’t said a single concrete threat of any sort, it’s just we will be very cross bluster.

Him saying “in kind” is just very silly. It means nothing, what a daft thing to say. For weeks now they’ve been blathering on about what response they would make to chemical weapons being used and to date haven’t said a single concrete threat of any sort, it’s just we will be very cross bluster.

There seems to be a lot of posturing, leaking to push certain lines within US diplomacy. Dangerous.

The worst thing NATO could do now is to start making concrete threats - that's just making a rod for their own backs.

When you've finished doom watching there's always this little Scouse/Russian relations heart tugging romance to watch. Complete with our adorable Margi Clarke :D

Maybe we should get Anonymous to stream it on Vlad's Nyetflix

If I remember rightly, the sailor in Letter to Brezhnev was Ukrainian from Odesa.

Quick namedrop moment... I met Margi Clarke a couple of times in the late 70s. She was in a band, but I can't remember what they were called, or if they were any cop. I liked her though.

The worst thing NATO could do now is to start making concrete threats - that's just making a rod for their own backs.
Why? Only true if they don’t have any kind of response agreed at all.

If they have a planned response that they think might actually dissuade Putin from using chemical weapons they need to spell it out, to have any chance of stopping him. They don’t though.

Last edited:

Because directly threatening the Russian bear when he's trapped in a corner is not a good idea, and could easily make him lash out in anger, but being verge leaves him wondering if he wants to push things over the edge and risk a serious response that he wouldn't expect and doesn't want.

Because directly threatening the Russian bear when he's trapped in a corner is not a good idea, and could easily make him lash out in anger, but being verge leaves him wondering if he wants to push things over the edge and risk a serious response that he doesn't want.
i don't understand that kind of reasoning and he's not a bear but ok.
If the full extent of the concerted sanctions had been agreed and fully spelled out in detail a month ago i don't know if he'd have gone ahead with the whole stupid thing in he first place but it's too late now.

If they have a planned response that they think might actually dissuade Putin from using chemical weapons they need to spell it out, to have any chance of stopping him. They don’t though.
What cupid_stunt said, but also because it's foolish to give Putin a firm line to scoot up to, and then "accidentally" overstep, just to see if NATO keep their promises.

What cupid_stunt said, but also because it's foolish to give Putin a firm line to scoot up to, and then "accidentally" overstep, just to see if NATO keep their promises.
Yeah I don’t agree. I think they just haven’t got any kind of agreed response at all. So he can pretty much do what he likes. Further sanctions won’t bother him anyway unless it’s a magic new oil source discovered on the day.

i don't understand that kind of reasoning and he's not a bear but ok.
If the full extent of the concerted sanctions had been agreed and fully spelled out in detail a month ago i don't know if he'd have gone ahead with the whole stupid thing in he first place but it's too late now.

Totally agree, plus before the invasion, NATO announcing that they wouldn't get directly involved was such a fucking dumb thing to do, it gave him a green light to go ahead, a total fuck up.

Totally agree, plus before the invasion, NATO announcing that they wouldn't get directly involved was such a fucking dumb thing to do, it gave him a green light to go ahead, a total fuck up.
It can’t have just been a mistake, repeated as it was many times . But I don’t understand it either.

If you make a specific threat, then you are stuck with that option. Failure to carry out the specific threat once it's conditions have been met would nullify the effect of future threats and will lead to a catastrophic escalation because at some point an uncrossable line will be crossed due to previous perceived weakness.

Yeah I don’t agree. I think they just haven’t got any kind of agreed response at all. So he can pretty much do what he likes. Further sanctions won’t bother him anyway unless it’s a magic new oil source discovered on the day.

I doubt all 30 NATO countries will ever agree on a response to any particular 'red line' being crossed, that's a weakness in NATO, but that doesn't stop certain NATO members taking their own action at any point.

It can’t have just been a mistake, repeated as it was many times . But I don’t understand it either.

NATO is a defensive alliance between partners. If they had said they’d get involved in this situation they’d be a very different and more aggressive organisation. What did you want them to do? Ukraine isn’t part of NATO.

If you make a specific threat, then you are stuck with that option. Failure to carry out the specific threat once it's conditions have been met would nullify the effect of future threats and will lead to a catastrophic escalation because at some point an uncrossable line will be crossed due to previous perceived weakness.
Last time we discussed this on here the only idea was that it would be more sanctions in response to chemical weapons use. I imagine the Kremlin guesses the same and don’t give a monkeys at this point.

NATO is a defensive alliance between partners. If they had said they’d get involved in this situation they’d be a very different and more aggressive organisation. What did you want them to do? Ukraine isn’t part of NATO.
Yes. The question was why did they keep spelling out the fact that they would not get involved in Ukraine. Maybe it was to explain it to emotional people in their own countries .

I think Russia would still have a problem if it intended to occupy the entire Donbas region. The map below shows Donetsk and Luhansk (with Mariupol, Donetsk and Luhansk cities highlighted). I've drawn (in white) the approximate line of control according to the Minks Agreement, which shows the areas the separatists declared as the DPR and LPR. Red areas a predominantly Russian speakers, and blue areas are predominantly Ukrainian speakers. Maybe outside of these major cities it's easy-to-control countryside? But I don't think Russia will be welcome outside of the DPR and LPR, altho there may be no-one left to oppose them in Mariupol :(

And they'll still be faced with the same problem as they did in 2014/15 when volunteer battalions contained Russia in the DPR and LPR areas, only this time the Ukrainian military will have 200,000+ better equipped soldiers as opposed to the 6,000 it had back then.

1648238888499.png

Yes. The question was why did they keep spelling out the fact that they would not get involved in Ukraine. Maybe it was to explain it to emotional people in their own countries .

Because they are an alliance to defend each other, not a world peace keeping force. I agree maybe they shouldn’t have spelled it out, but it is there m.o.

Last time we discussed this on here the only idea was that it would be more sanctions in response to chemical weapons use. I imagine the Kremlin guesses the same and don’t give a monkeys at this point.
You're probably right. But having seen the results of ineffectual 'red line' threats made by Obama over Syria, Biden and NATO are probably reluctant to encourage a repeat performance.

WHich the west have done. However the threats weren't sufficent in preventing Putin make a massive fuck up.

Well no. He's saying if Putin does x, he/they'll respond in a similar way. Which may be a stupid thing to say and unlikely to happen in terms of chemical weapons but it does mean something.

Because they are an alliance to defend each other, not a world peace keeping force. I agree maybe they shouldn’t have spelled it out, but it is there m.o.
I am only talking about the spelling it out bit! I understand what nato is thanks.

Well no. He's saying if Putin does x, he/they'll respond in a similar way. Which may be a stupid thing to say and unlikely to happen in terms of chemical weapons but it does mean something.
What would be similar to a chemical weapons attack on civilians? It means nothing.

I think Russia would still have a problem if it intended to occupy the entire Donbas region. The map below shows Donetsk and Luhansk (with Mariupol, Donetsk and Luhansk cities highlighted). I've drawn (in white) the approximate line of control according to the Minks Agreement, which shows the areas the separatists declared as the DPR and LPR. Red areas a predominantly Russian speakers, and blue areas are predominantly Ukrainian speakers. Maybe outside of these major cities it's easy-to-control countryside? But I don't think Russia will be welcome outside of the DPR and LPR, altho there may be no-one left to oppose them in Mariupol :(

And they'll still be faced with the same problem as they did in 2014/15 when volunteer battalions contained Russia in the DPR and LPR areas, only this time the Ukrainian military will have 200,000+ better equipped soldiers as opposed to the 6,000 it had back then.

View attachment 315860
In Mariupol, they found a way of getting round the problem of not being welcome, and they probably find variations on the theme elsewhere in Donbass.

They're not even going to want people from the two sides of the ceasefire line mixing, because then it's "Aren't you glad we saved you from the Nazis?"/"WTF are you talking about?"

Back
Top Bottom