Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

I don’t think that is at all fair - I think we all know that the reaction “like” on here does not always equal “approval” as it can also mean “thank you for this useful information”

If it was a “love” reaction you may have had a point but it wasn’t.
It isn't just a like, it's a thumbs up.

It isn't just a like, it's a thumbs up.

As in "cheers for the information" - I do this to a lot of teqniq 's posts. Especially one like that which has presented something to me in non-paywalled form. I wouldn't see it otherwise.

I think people must be quite desperate to see something that isn't there sometimes. The39thStep is avowedly anti-fascist, very much a 'neither Washington nor Moscow' type. There's no way he's a supporter of Putin.

And if you don't like the apparent ambiguity of the like symbol, why was it introduced editor?

As in "cheers for the information" - I do this to a lot of teqniq 's posts. Especially one like that which has presented something to me in non-paywalled form. I wouldn't see it otherwise.

I think people must be quite desperate to see something that isn't there sometimes. The39thStep is avowedly anti-fascist, very much a 'neither Washington nor Moscow' type. There's no way he's a supporter of Putin.

And if you don't like the apparent ambiguity of the like symbol, why was it introduced editor?
thumbs up also a book by aleister crowley, who it's said was behind the v for victory sign

Imagine being the kind of person that gives a thumbs up to an article detailing how an illegally invaded democratic country - which has suffered mass civilian casualties at the hands of a neo fascist invader - is facing its darkest hour.
Possibly a person who read the whole article rather than just the headline , found it well written and stimulating and also wanted to thank teqniq for bringing it to their attention ?

More than happy to discuss.

the article states that attempts to end the war by way of a peace treaty or negotiations with Russia that means compromising on Ukraine’s demands may trigger a far right coup by factions that want the war to continue, though it’s unclear if any of those factions post on this thread.
That is a really interesting point...people talk about "Ukraine" doing this or that as if its one actor with one voice....it isnt

people talk about the zionist entity doing this or that again as though it was an actor with one voice. or germany. or russia. it's simple shorthand for the gang of crooks in charge of the state.
Yes its true for all states...but there's a sliding scale ...and its somewhat less true when in the grip of authoritarians with near total control, as in Russia

Imagine being the kind of person that gives a thumbs up to an article detailing how an illegally invaded democratic country - which has suffered mass civilian casualties at the hands of a neo fascist invader - is facing its darkest hour.
I merely made a comment based on the contents of the article. I did not give it a 'thumbs up' :confused: I just don't think it looks good, other opinions can be made but that is mine and i don't like it either. :(

E2a oh I see it's to do with the 'likes' under the post.

Last edited:
It was a point in the article you linked to.
It does not say fascist anywhere. What it does say is:

...Other polls suggest Ukrainians are still confident of winning and will be disappointed by anything other than total battlefield victory. The biggest domestic problem for Zelenskyy might come from a nationalist minority opposed to any compromise, some of whom are now armed and trained to fight.
“If you get into any negotiation, it could be a trigger for social instability,” says a Ukrainian official. “Zelenskyy knows this very well.”
“There will always be a radical segment of Ukrainian society that will call any negotiation capitulation. The far right in Ukraine is growing. The right wing is a danger to democracy,” says Merezhko, who is an MP for Zelenskyy’s Servant of the People party...

which of course can be interpreted as fascist though as stated the article does not say that.

Plough down into this beeb item, and there are some interesting comments on the results of the investigations carried out on obituaries etc.

Quite appalled at the sheer numbers involved ... so many senseless deaths.
I don't think this piece from the Wall Street Journal has been posted on the thread yet, it gives some different and even more horrific estimates for casualties
WSJ said:
KYIV, Ukraine—The number of Ukrainians and Russians killed or wounded in the grinding 2½-year war has reached roughly one million, a staggering toll that two countries struggling with shrinking prewar populations will pay far into the future.

Determining the exact number of dead and wounded in the conflict has been difficult, with Russia and Ukraine declining to release official estimates or, at times, putting out figures that are widely mistrusted.
A confidential Ukrainian estimate from earlier this year put the number of dead Ukrainian troops at 80,000 and the wounded at 400,000, according to people familiar with the matter. Western intelligence estimates of Russian casualties vary, with some putting the number of dead as high as nearly 200,000 and wounded at around 400,000.
It also has some shocking numbers on the collapse in the Ukraine population:
WSJ said:
Russia’s assaults on Ukraine have had a catastrophic effect on its neighbor’s population. The most recent census, in 2001, recorded 48 million inhabitants. At the start of 2022, before Russia invaded, that had fallen to 40 million, including regions such as Crimea that Russia occupied in 2014, according to Ukrainian demographers and government officials. With over six million fleeing Ukraine since the start of the war in February 2022, according to the United Nations, and Russia seizing further land, the total population on Kyiv-controlled territory has now dropped to between 25 million and 27 million, according to previously undisclosed Ukrainian government estimates.

It does not say fascist anywhere. What it does say is:

which of course can be interpreted as fascist though as stated the article does not say that.

The article may not explicitly say it, but when it refers to

a nationalist minority opposed to any compromise, some of whom are now armed and trained to fight

I can't help but think it's referring at least in part to Azov.

Back
Top Bottom