Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK music industry, bands, work permits and Brexit

I can't think of a single possible negative aspect to Coldplay's decision to stop touring. The same applies if they decided to stop making music too. Or ceased to exist all together.
Exactly! Yet they're massive, so, apparently, not everyone feels the same way about them.
If the cost of air travel was made so prohibitively high, that only the likes of Coldplay, U2 and Justin Bieber were doing world tours, would you still be defending the rights of bands to tour the world?
A single tour by one of these bands results in a carbon footprint that would necessitate the planting of thousands of hectares of trees to offset it. Do you think that's acceptable?

Well..flying to Spain would have been a massive deal in Ireland. Because it meant flying to London or some other UK airport and then flying to Spain. So tickets were not cheap.

I'm telling you that in my childhood most of the people / families I knew holidayed at local beaches and holiday camps. It really was a very big deal to fly abroad to a sunny country.

1950s was recession.
1970s same.
80s were shite.
People were leaving to try to get work in the UK and US. There were no jobs. So definitely not holidaying in the sun.
It wasnt til the late 90s and 2000s that people started to have a bit extra to go on foreign holidays.
Anyway .. point I am trying ti make is that flights are so cheap now..and that is a problem for the environment
I don't doubt your circumstances, but the fact is that working class families did holiday abroad in the 1970s in huge numbers, and it wasn't just a few of the better off ones:
By the early 1970s Spain was already accepting a staggering 34.6 million visitors but its coasts had become primarily dependent on the tastes of Northern Europe’s working class, with this tourist on average spending very little by world standards

And, of course, having an airport offering package holidays close by made it a more attractive and cheaper option.

Exactly! Yet they're massive, so, apparently, not everyone feels the same way about them.
If the cost of air travel was made so prohibitively high, that only the likes of Coldplay, U2 and Justin Bieber were doing world tours, would you still be defending the rights of bands to tour the world?
A single tour by one of these bands results in a carbon footprint that would necessitate the planting of thousands of hectares of trees to offset it. Do you think that's acceptable?
I don't give a flying fuck if Coldplay, U2 and Justin Bieber never ever toured, performed or recorded again. HTH.

Well..flying to Spain would have been a massive deal in Ireland. Because it meant flying to London or some other UK airport and then flying to Spain. So tickets were not cheap.

I'm telling you that in my childhood most of the people / families I knew holidayed at local beaches and holiday camps. It really was a very big deal to fly abroad to a sunny country.

As a kid, our family first went aboard in the mid-70's, so flights must have been fairly cheap from the UK.

However, I can vouch that flights between Ireland & the UK were bloody expensive even in the mid-80's, until Virgin started the Standard to Dublin route, then it cost me a lot more on Aer Lingus for the short second leg from Dublin to Shannon.

Is this a picture of young Sass waiting to get his holiday train?

TP-Passenger1870.jpg

Nah, doesn't have his walking stick.

I don't doubt your circumstances, but the fact is that working class families did holiday abroad in the 1970s in huge numbers, and it wasn't just a few of the better off ones:

And, of course, having an airport offering package holidays close by made it a more attractive and cheaper option.

I guess the currency differential must have been favourable at that time. I missed the early 70s and didn't get on a plane til the mid 90s.

Compulsory hitchhiking points?

May sound mad, but they have it in Cuba. Drivers with space have to stop.

It's a cultural thing as much as anything - bit like attitudes towards speeding and drink driving. You're not taking a passenger? Really? Why not? Didn't you advertise? But yeah, schemes can help - some places have lanes that you can only drive in if you have a passenger.

have deffo low key ramped up my ' pick up hitchhikers / offer lifts from Lidl' efforts round here over last few years ( with the odd fairly leftfield encounter ensuing ), but to formalise it would make lots of sense

Last edited:
This is all purely academic, anyway, as we are going to run out of oil in the not too distant, so unless we crack the problem of long-haul electric flight, we're heading for a very bleak future.
Loathe as I am to stop a thread that has splendid beef potential, I think this is right. Ideas about reducing x group of people using Y resource to aid the environment hinge on either self restraint or some kind of tax/price incentive. Free market trumpy/johnsony societies are not going to insert the environment in the way of capital and so 'green capitalism' remains an outright dishonesty. In fact it's a way of carrying on exactly as you are, ideological cover for business as usual. Even if there were tax/price incentives in place to (in this example) reduce bands touring and fans flying to watch those bands, by definition that's also a situation that allows the richest bands and punters to carry on flying and emitting CO2, with perhaps some notional trees planted to allow more stuff being consumed. None of this really changes within our shitty neo-liberal world - yes, we're fucked.

Edit: having read it all, the thread has become less beefy in the last couple of pages. Another thing to blame Coldplay for. :mad:

Last edited:
Loathe as I am to stop a thread that has splendid beef potential, I think this is right. Ideas about reducing x group of people using Y resource to aid the environment hinge on either self restraint or some kind of tax/price incentive. Free market trumpy/johnsony societies are not going to insert the environment in the way of capital and so 'green capitalism' remains an outright dishonesty. In fact it's a way of carrying on exactly as you are, ideological cover for business as usual. Even if there were tax/price incentives in place to (in this example) reduce bands touring and fans flying to watch those bands, by definition that's also a situation that allows the richest bands and punters to carry on flying and emitting CO2, with perhaps some notional trees planted to allow more stuff being consumed. None of this really changes within our shitty neo-liberal world - yes, we're fucked.

Edit: having read it all, the thread has become less beefy in the last couple of pages. Another thing to blame Coldplay for. :mad:
Airships. Hydrogen powered airships.

Anyway, for some of the musicians here this is a topic of some concern, so could we get back to the topic of Brexit and touring bands now, pretty please?

Back
Top Bottom