Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK music industry, bands, work permits and Brexit

Anyway, for some of the musicians here this is a topic of some concern, so could we get back to the topic of Brexit and touring bands now, pretty please?

OK, the petition you posted, asking for artists to be able to move freely within the EU post Brexit; bosh! There you go, ‘tis done. All’s well :)

Funny, a few years ago open borders was argued for, vociferously. If you disagree with that you were some kind of Little Englander, or racis. Now it’s all about respect the referendum, close borders, who gives a fuck about musicians.

Funny, a few years ago open borders was argued for, vociferously. If you disagree with that you were some kind of Little Englander, or racis. Now it’s all about respect the referendum, close borders, who gives a fuck about musicians.

Reasonable observation. Not one that applies to here (U75) particularly, I think, but still reasonable.

Those arguing for the EUs FoM are arguing for closed borders, they are just drawing the line in a different place - fortress Europe rather than fortress Britain.

If someone is going to argue for open borders (whatever that is meant to mean, I'm never entirely clear) they need to argue for the smashing of the EU.

Obviously not about bands but there might be something to learn from the post war Labour government intervention on protecting the British film industry .

Those arguing for the EUs FoM are arguing for closed borders, they are just drawing the line in a different place - fortress Europe rather than fortress Britain.

If someone is going to argue for open borders (whatever that is meant to mean, I'm never entirely clear) they need to argue for the smashing of the EU.
Did you ever tour in a band, pre-EU?

I was also in a sackbut and lute duo that toured Europe in the 14th Century. Ended up stuck in quarantine when we got back to Dover. Not been abroad since.

Did you ever tour in a band, pre-EU?
This is a trick question, isn't it?

Everyone one knows that it was literally impossible for bands from the UK to tour in Europe before the European Union was founded in November 1993. :confused:

For those who have no idea what you're talking about, I can inform you that touring pre-EU was an almighty pain in the fucking arse. But please carry on with your jokes, because it won't be your life or your livelihoods affected.

This is a trick question, isn't it?

Everyone one knows that it was literally impossible for bands from the UK to tour in Europe before the European Union was founded in November 1993. :confused:
Why would it be a "trick question"? I'm just trying to find out who actually knows anything about what it was like for smaller bands playing Europe before the EU. You clearly don't because it wasn't "literally impossible," but just a shitload more difficult time consuming and expensive. Forgive me if I fail to celebrate a possible return to those days.

Why would it be a "trick question"? I'm just trying to find out who actually knows anything about what it was like for smaller bands playing Europe before the EU. You clearly don't because it wasn't "literally impossible," but just a shitload more difficult time consuming and expensive. Forgive me if I fail to celebrate a possible return to those days.
How does it work for, say, Norwegian bands? Realise Norway has it's deal with the EU in place and we may end up with something different, but it might well be something similar to what UK bands end up with (largely because it suits the interests of both sides). Genuine Q, as they say.

How does it work for, say, Norwegian bands? Realise Norway has it's deal with the EU in place and we may end up with something different, but it might well be something similar to what UK bands end up with (largely because it suits the interests of both sides). Genuine Q, as they say.
Norway is in EFTA and is part of the free movement area. It's still not too late for the UK to be in both of these things, but it would involve something of a change of tack from the current govt. Without that change of tack, not sure the example of Norway indicates much for the UK tbh.

Norway is in EFTA and is part of the free movement area. It's still not too late for the UK to be in both of these things, but it would involve something of a change of tack from the current govt. Without that change of tack, not sure the example of Norway indicates much for the UK tbh.
Point taken. TBH it was the first non-EU country that came to mind. So my q should have been how does it work for comparable non-EU/EFTA countries?

Point taken. TBH it was the first non-EU country that came to mind. So my q should have been how does it work for comparable non-EU/EFTA countries?
Being awkward, I think the problem there probably goes the other way. So a band from, say, Serbia, probably has more hassle than a band from the UK will get. Cos Serbia is smaller and poorer and weaker than the UK, basically. But at the very least, it wouldn't be harder to get around the EU than it would be for a band from Serbia. fwiw, Serbs can currently travel around the whole of the EU (without working) without a visa except the UK and Ireland.

Doing travel for a motor-racing team pre-EU, they needed a carnet to attend Le Mans. Fill it out, show it to customs on the way in to France and again on the way out and so long as you take out everything you took in there was no issue. If they dumped their spent tyres at the track's tyre dump they would be charged import duty for those tyres. They only did that once...

This is the worst case scenario of what could happen after the transition period, a carnet to enter to the EU, which would have to be shown at point of entry and exit from the EU, not as the hysterical petition suggests crossing from one EU country to another. Will add around £150 to the cost of a tour for a band the size of editor's.

Chances are there will be some kind of arrangement that means we won't return to that system though. But no one knows and won't know until the end of the year, at the earliest.

Doing travel for a motor-racing team pre-EU, they needed a carnet to attend Le Mans. Fill it out, show it to customs on the way in to France and again on the way out and so long as you take out everything you took in there was no issue. If they dumped their spent tyres at the track's tyre dump they would be charged import duty for those tyres. They only did that once...

This is the worst case scenario of what could happen after the transition period, a carnet to enter to the EU, which would have to be shown at point of entry and exit from the EU, not as the hysterical petition suggests crossing from one EU country to another. Will add around £150 to the cost of a tour for a band the size of editor's.

Chances are there will be some kind of arrangement that means we won't return to that system though. But no one knows and won't know until the end of the year, at the earliest.
Yeah, this is how it would work. The whole point of the Schengen area is that once you're in, you're in, so it would be at the very least a case of being checked on entering and then leaving Schengen. Looking it up, it appears to be how things work currently with Schengen. Like I said, that's the whole point of it.

In that respect, Norway's current Schengen association status actually makes it more a part of the EU free movement area than the UK was when it was in the EU.

I've been giving some thought to how we can tackle the climate problem, whilst still allowing a UK band to tour Europe, and still allowing people to holiday, and I think an exponential taxation on flights is the answer. One return flight per person per year and you're golden. You pay the standard fare. The price of a subsequent flight is double that of the standard fare and quadrupled for a third flight, ad infinitum. The levy would be reset each year for those who had taken up to 2 flights the previous year, but rolled over for anyone taking more than 2.

Having to fill out a carnet is far from the worse case scenario, only having to fill out a carnet would be a massive result.

Having to fill out a carnet is far from the worse case scenario, only having to fill out a carnet would be a massive result.

Well, yeah, the worse case is that you have to sit in a room with Chris Martin for 10 years, but the worst likely scenario is carnet, which is what happens for bands visiting non-EU countries such as the USA and Japan.

Back
Top Bottom