Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK music industry, bands, work permits and Brexit

and the taliban-like banning of music? have i missed someone suggesting that?

or did it just seem like a clever thing to say?
Oh it was just a flippant exaggeration for comic effect, and as silly as you now desperately trying to score a belated point by dredging your way back through the thread. It's a bit like your flippant comment about the country being better if bands moved out. Nothing to get worked up in a froth about.

Oh it was just a flippant exaggeration for comic effect
i think you're probably alone here in having a laugh about the murder of musicians.
it's a bit like your flippant exaggeration about the country being better if bands moved out.
quite possibly better. let's face it, the country's no worse off without the rolling stones, billy idol, half the sex pistols, and - of course - better off without sir cliff richard.

Last edited:
It takes the same amount of carbon as a family going to Disneyland. So do you want to ban all trans-atlantic flights?

Great idea.
There's Disneyland Paris. Get a boat and train.

I grew up in a time when only the wealthy could fly.
Only one girl in my class went on holidays on a plane...it was really unusual
Most of us went on camping or caravan holidays.
My family never had a "holiday" til I was 11. We went by train - ferry - train to London. My first flight EVER was when I was 21 and flew for work to Helsinki.

The fact that cheap flights are available means people decide at the drop of a hat to fly off any time of year...even for weekends!! The likes of ryan air with their €8 one way malarkey.

Oh that's really well done, albeit by totally twisting what I said. Feel proud.
it's in no way twisting your words. the taliban's banning of music succeeds through their murder of musicians and the effect that has on other players. did you think the taliban said 'don't do that, it's haram' and everyone went, 'no we won't, not now you've asked so nicely'? so the taliban-like banning of music can only be the murder of musicians and the effect that has on other people.

Amazingly, there's no shortage of bands and musicians producing fantastic music. You've just stopped listening.

No, no I haven't. I do like a lot of music produced in the last few years, but, it does have a tune.

At this moment I'm listening to White Room by Cream. There isn't much since then that can match that.

Edited to add:

Over the years I've heard music of astonishing quality by bands that will never make a record. Perhaps if there is less coming in from abroad (which I doubt, bands seemed to have no problem in coming here pre-EU freedom of movement), then home grown talent will get a better chance.

Great idea.
There's Disneyland Paris. Get a boat and train.

I grew up in a time when only the wealthy could fly.
Only one girl in my class went on holidays on a plane...it was really unusual
Most of us went on camping or caravan holidays.
My family never had a "holiday" til I was 11. We went by train - ferry - train to London. My first flight EVER was when I was 21 and flew for work to Helsinki.

The fact that cheap flights are available means people decide at the drop of a hat to fly off any time of year...even for weekends!! The likes of ryan air with their €8 one way malarkey.
You must be very old then because cheap holiday flights to the Costa Brava and the like have been on offer for around half a century! I agree totally that flights - particularly short haul ones where there is a practical alternative - should be priced in line with the environmental damage they cause.

No, no I haven't. I do like a lot of music produced in the last few years, but, it does have a tune.

At this moment I'm listening to White Room by Cream. There isn't much since then that can match that.

Edited to add:

Over the years I've heard music of astonishing quality by bands that will never make a record. Perhaps if there is less coming in from abroad (which I doubt, bands seemed to have no problem in coming here pre-EU freedom of movement), then home grown talent will get a better chance.
Yeah, fancied a gig last week. Scoured the local venues and couldn't find anything that wasn't from Latvia or Romania. Taking over, it is.

Sorry but :D the idea that the Uk is being overrun by bands from the EU.

This is one of the most ridiculous attempts to quite literally bring cross thread beef into a discussion. Musicians are not the same as a plateful of meat. This is not a debate about meat, neither as we going to continue your tedious and rambling pro-meat arguments in this thread. There is already an active thread for that. Keep it there.
My point was that just because Miles said something, doesn't make it so for everybody, and just because you think the world is a better place because bands travel, doesn't make it so.
A perfect example... In an attempt to combat carbon emissions, Coldplay have decided to stop touring until further notice. How many people here can think of a single negative side to this decision?

You must be very old then because cheap holiday flights to the Costa Brava and the like have been on offer for around half a century! I agree totally that flights - particularly short haul ones where there is a practical alternative - should be priced in line with the environmental damage they cause.

Not so. I can clearly remember my parents going on holiday to Italy and Spain by train. That would have been in the early 70's.

Not really old......smartypants 😁😁Just grew up with not nuch... and most of the kids in the estate were the same. Also...I am talking about Ireland. Flights were limited and if you wanted to fly somewhere warm you ended up having to take 2 flights...stopping over in the UK etc..

Not so. I can clearly remember my parents going on holiday to Italy and Spain by train. That would have been in the early 70's.
Yes so. My family wasn't well off but we flew to Spain in the early 70s, with direct planes from Rhoose Airport (in Cardiff).

My point was that just because Miles said something, doesn't make it so for everybody, and just because you think the world is a better place because bands travel, doesn't make it so.
A perfect example... In an attempt to combat carbon emissions, Coldplay have decided to stop touring until further notice. How many people here can think of a single negative side to this decision?
I can't think of a single possible negative aspect to Coldplay's decision to stop touring. The same applies if they decided to stop making music too. Or ceased to exist all together.

Is this a picture of young Sass waiting to get his holiday train?

TP-Passenger1870.jpg

If you did that then you were well off.
Seriously.
Poverty was a thing over here.
My dad died when I was 7. We weren't surviving on crusts but we were most definitely not 'well off' by any measure. My mum had to take on three jobs to feed and bring up two boys on her own and suffered some terrible problems as a result. The package holidays from Cardiff were dirt cheap, offering basic hotels with awful food but they were hugely popular with working class families - so much so that they directly contributed to the decline of traditional seaside destinations in the UK.

My dad died when I was 7. We weren't surviving on crusts but we were most definitely not 'well off' by any measure. My mum had to take on three jobs to feed and bring up two boys on her own and suffered some terrible problems as a result. The package holidays from Cardiff were dirt cheap, offering basic hotels with awful food but they were hugely popular with working class families - so much so that led to the decline of traditional seaside destinations in the UK.

Well..flying to Spain would have been a massive deal in Ireland. Because it meant flying to London or some other UK airport and then flying to Spain. So tickets were not cheap.

I'm telling you that in my childhood most of the people / families I knew holidayed at local beaches and holiday camps. It really was a very big deal to fly abroad to a sunny country.

1950s was recession.
1970s same.
80s were shite.
People were leaving to try to get work in the UK and US. There were no jobs. So definitely not holidaying in the sun.
It wasnt til the late 90s and 2000s that people started to have a bit extra to go on foreign holidays.
Anyway .. point I am trying ti make is that flights are so cheap now..and that is a problem for the environment

Back
Top Bottom