Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK captains of industry have charity night where they sexually assault young female 'hostesses'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd how we're now comparing these women to black and white minstrels and slave traders.Doesn't seem very gracious.

Bore off. Do you disagree with me that there is an astonishing level of blindness on display here by the likes of nono sass etc who claim to be upset about women losing their jobs and see nothing else going on but the loss of these individuals' 'freedom' to be paid for standing around wearing hotpants at a men's sporting event.

You've got me wrong. I'm aware of the other issues, encouraging men to objectify women, the message it sends to girls about their career paths, the pressure it creates for women to live amongst a stream of sexual images. I just don't think this is the right way to fix those problems, esp since it's already been tried and it's failed.

Bore off. Do you disagree with me that there is an astonishing level of blindness on display here by the likes of nono sass etc who claim to be upset about women losing their jobs and see nothing else going on but the loss of these individuals' 'freedom' to be paid for wearing hotpants at a men's sporting event.
i don't find no-no and sas's arguments persuasive, if that's what you mean.

Last edited:
You've got me wrong. I'm aware of the other issues, encouraging men to objectify women, the message it sends to girls about their career paths, the pressure it creates for women to live amongst a stream of sexual images. I just don't think this is the right way to fix those problems, esp since it's already been tried and it's failed.
What's been tried and failed?

All the posters on here who are railing against this are totally unable to join the dots, all they see is 'freedoms' being curtailed. ((push up bra manufacturers)).

Not really - I think what people have been trying to point out is that its unlikely a company whose senior management looks like this (or this, if you want a more diverse look at a sister firm) is doing it out of a wish to smash the patriarchy; so what you are left with is a firm sacking or ceasing to hire women because of the reputational damage they think they might suffer from, hypothetically.

Not really - I think what people have been trying to point out is that its unlikely a company whose senior management looks like this (or this, if you want a more diverse look at a sister firm) is doing it out of a wish to smash the patriarchy; so what you are left with is a firm sacking or ceasing to hire women because of the reputational damage they think they might suffer from, hypothetically.
They've just made a business decision, I thought everyone agreed on that at least. Most likely thinking that maybe women might come along to these events as paying audience. Just like the daily sport didn't cease publication in order to smash the patriarchy but because the business model wasn't working anymore.
R.I.P. Daily and Sunday Sport

My two p worth.

My burlesque dancer/stripper cousin loved her job. She thought it was great to dance in front of men and be ogled. It was what she wanted, it was what she enjoyed.

My model/grid girl friend loved it for the attention she got. She enjoyed being half naked in photo shoots for soft erotica.

Neither enjoyed being groped by strangers, and, being strong women, dealt with unwanted touching etc. quickly and with no nonsense.

Much further up the thread I said that women have the right to respect, regardless of how they are dressed, and regardless of their job.

I worry a little that, if we are not careful, we will stop people doing as they wish with their bodies. Isn't part of the premise of feminism that a woman has the right to do as she wishes? Isn't it right, therefore, that if a woman chooses, and I understand that not everyone has the free choice, she should be allowed to dress and do as she wishes? Shouldn't we, as a society, be focusing on making sure that we give women due respect for their choices, rather than expecting them to conform to an image we are imposing on them? Even if we consider it for "the greater good." Any man, or woman, has the right to choose for themselves, and is due respect, surely? And if that means they choose to be grid girls, hostesses, or strippers, and they do so in proper knowledge of what that means, shouldn't we let them?

Scroll up this page and you'll find people comparing the women who've mentioned that aren't happy to lose their jobs to the slave trader and the black and white minstrel show.

Objectifying these women for entertainment has fallen out of fashion. That was also the fate of the black and white minstrel show.

Odd how we're now comparing these women to black and white minstrels and slave traders.Doesn't seem very gracious.

Scroll up this page and you'll find people comparing the women who've mentioned that aren't happy to lose their jobs to the slave trader and the black and white minstrel show.

No, I didn't. Read post #1077 then come back and make amends for these numptastic entries of yours.

They've just made a business decision, I thought everyone agreed on that at least. Most likely thinking that maybe women might come along to these events as paying audience. Just like the daily sport didn't cease publication in order to smash the patriarchy but because the business model wasn't working anymore.

I appreciate they have made a business decision, the point is that its a very questionable one. Can it ever be right for a firm to (effectively) fire women because that firm wants to avoid the consequences of its own actions in order to avoid potential reputational damage that might come along later, as the result of ongoing scandals regarding how men have treated women and how firms have helped cover it up? They could at least have found the people concerned alternative employment within their organization.

I appreciate they have made a business decision, the point is that its a very questionable one. Can it ever be right for a firm to (effectively) fire women because that firm wants to avoid the consequences of its own actions in order to avoid potential reputational damage that might come along later, as the result of ongoing scandals regarding how men have treated women and how firms have helped cover it up? They could at least have found the people concerned alternative employment within their organization.
yeh it's being done because of how men view these women, not because of the women

My burlesque dancer/stripper cousin loved her job. She thought it was great to dance in front of men and be ogled. It was what she wanted, it was what she enjoyed.

My model/grid girl friend loved it for the attention she got. She enjoyed being half naked in photo shoots for soft erotica.
I worry a little that, if we are not careful, we will stop people doing as they wish with their bodies. Isn't part of the premise of feminism that a woman has the right to do as she wishes? Isn't it right, therefore, that if a woman chooses, and I understand that not everyone has the free choice, she should be allowed to dress and do as she wishes? Shouldn't we, as a society, be focusing on making sure that we give women due respect for their choices, rather than expecting them to conform to an image we are imposing on them? Even if we consider it for "the greater good." Any man, or woman, has the right to choose for themselves, and is due respect, surely? And if that means they choose to be grid girls, hostesses, or strippers, and they do so in proper knowledge of what that means, shouldn't we let them?

The issue I have with this is, what essentially is the difference between someone exhibiting themselves naked so as to intimidate strangers (a flasher) and someone exhibiting themselves naked to sell a product or service? It makes them happy? What about the poor old flasher then, is he not made happy by people seeing his knob?

I am aware it's not a straight-up comparison but if we're onto the slippery slope / thin end of the wedge argument then let's have another.

I think its unlikely that this is their reason (fear of some future grid-girl related scandal) . Seems more likely to me that they just think they'll make more money by creating an environment where women are more likely to be paying customers / participants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom