Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Liberal Democrats/Lliberals have been deprived of Thousands of Seats

Yep. And Nick Clegg wanted a ref on PR but agreed to AV to be part of the coalition. So itā€™s their fault.
one of the most pathetic things to have happened in british politics ever
my memory of it is that lib dems went into coalition on the basis there would be a PR referendum - that was their one big condition. it was only over time that when cameron watered it down they should've (threatened to and if didnt get their way then) left the coalition and brought down the government. instead clegg now works for facebook and nothing changed.

Never forget? I never knew!

Was it so another LibDem could shoot it?
The Labrador was called originally called Gladstone but upon arrival in Bucharest was rechristened Corbu ( that man's tentacles are far reaching,) and was appointed as an honorary colonel in the Romanian army.

images (25).jpeg

one of the most pathetic things to have happened in british politics ever
my memory of it is that lib dems went into coalition on the basis there would be a PR referendum - that was their one big condition. it was only over time that when cameron watered it down they should've (threatened to and if didnt get their way then) left the coalition and brought down the government. instead clegg now works for facebook and nothing changed.
my memory is the tories having a deal to back AV full throatedly. I, a mere pleb who didn't even go to a named school, knew the tories were going to fuck them on that and they duly did.

my memory is the tories having a deal to back AV full throatedly. I, a mere pleb who didn't even go to a named school, knew the tories were going to fuck them on that and they duly did.
you're right i was wrong

"
The initial Conservativeā€“Liberal Democrat coalition agreement, dated 11 May 2010, detailed the issues which had been agreed between the two parties before they committed to entering into coalition. On the issue of an electoral reform referendum, it stated:

The parties will bring forward a Referendum Bill on electoral reform, which includes provision for the introduction of the Alternative Vote in the event of a positive result in the referendum, as well as for the creation of fewer and more equal sized constituencies. Both parties will whip their Parliamentary Parties in both Houses to support a simple majority referendum on the Alternative Vote, without prejudice to the positions parties will take during such a referendum.[23]"

The Liberal Democrats/Lliberals have been deprived of thousands of seats. If seats were allocated along percentage lines then since the war the Liberals/Liberal Democrats would have been deprived of thousands of seats. the Liberal Democrats alone since 1992 have been deprived of 791 seats, that's a whole parliament full!. The most robbed political party in Britain.

good.

I would say it's the system that needs changing not relying on a benign dictatorship Just hoping the nice guys get to be our dictators or if we elect this party with this political system everything will be perfect afterwards, it won't!

Last edited:
Indeed.

Why did AV need a referendum when the Tories simply legislated to change mayoral election systems to FPTP in the hope of improving their chances? It wasnā€™t even a manifesto commitment.
The Tories didn't support it but allowing a referendum was a bribe to entice the Liberals into coalition.

The Tories didn't support it but allowing a referendum was a bribe to entice the Liberals into coalition.

Yes, I realise that. Iā€™m only saying that the subsequent change in electoral systems without any referendum proves that the LDs might well have pushed for the much more valuable bribe of AV legislation without a referendum, given the leverage they had at the time.

Yes, I realise that. Iā€™m only saying that the subsequent change in electoral systems without any referendum proves that the LDs might well have pushed for the much more valuable bribe of AV legislation without a referendum, given the leverage they had at the time.
Too liberal to push too hard.

Back
Top Bottom