Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK captains of industry have charity night where they sexually assault young female 'hostesses'

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a woman, I find it humiliating and excluding to see grid 'girls' and walk on 'girls'. Makes it very clear that my role is about decoration, and that I shouldn't be watching this or participating as this is a sport for MEN.

And isn't it funny how adult women are referred to as 'girls' when they're objects of sexual desire for men?

Why are you humiliated because other women are working as grid girls or models or whatever? It doesn't say anything about your role or anything about what you should or shouldn't be doing at all, you're not them, they're not you.

I think its extremely challenging to make proper comparisons to other cultures, there are too many variables.

In any case I do not see the removal of grid girls etc as being a sign of inevitable broader restrictions in society, or general prudishness. Corporate prudishness yes. Anyway I support the removal of this stuff because even if you want to retain the exploitation of women as eyecandy in certain specific contexts, the days where this sort of thing leaked into the general sporting & tv scene should have ended many years ago, amazing in many ways that it's taken this long.

Yes theres are lots of variables, our society is different in many other ways but the essence of it is the same.

Men behave badly.
It's because women are objectified.
Hide the women.

I don't see why this pattern of thinking won't continue into other areas, music, movies, modelling and finally the clothign choices of private individuals. How far along that path it'll go i don't know, hopefully not too far.

Why are you humiliated because other women are working as grid girls or models or whatever? It doesn't say anything about your role or anything about what you should or shouldn't be doing at all, you're not them, they're not you.

We interviewed some slaves earlier. A couple of them were delighted to have a roof over their head and a hot meal every day. Therefore it's absolutely fine to keep slaves.

I bow to your knowledge of darts and the modeling world. Are their veterans out there? A women who has been at it as long as the power?
your claim is apparently that women lose their looks over a couple of years. i suggest that you reconsider your crass comment.

your claim is apparently that women lose their looks over a couple of years. i suggest that you reconsider your crass comment.

Indeed. I can only speak for myself here, but my wife of nearly 43 years is as beautiful today as she was the day I married her. beauty has little to do with physical looks.

Because it makes me very aware that whatever I do, whatever I'm doing, men are judging me because of how I look. That I'm a more valuable human being if I'm attractive and dressed in a particular way. That, as a woman, looks, body shape and age are prized and impact on our value as humans.

If you can't see how this feeds into a culture where men feel entitled to comment on women's looks and fuckability (or otherwise), then you're either not very bright or have little imagination. Sas is just a fucking arsehole but we all know that.

Last edited:
Not if it means restricting peoples personal decisions no.
This is a bizarre argument, tbh. They're paid well for an easy job, which most of them are probably very happy to have. But within the context in which they can get this kind of money for managing to stand, smile and hold a thing all at the same time (Only open to stunning beauties, as judged by me. Sorry love - so not a personal decision open to all persons), there is no 'right' to have this kind of work. There is either a demand for it or there is not.

As elbows said, the only wonder here is that it took so long for this to change.

Hide the women.

Just picking up on this comment. I don't know about the darts but I imagine for F1 the exact opposite is true. The new owners are looking to broaden its appeal beyond the assorted collection of overwhelmingly male and slightly odd petrolheads that make up its current fan base. From a purely commercial perspective you'd be mad to ignore half the population. So a decision has been made with a view to getting more women fans of the support and probably even some women drivers, that's the real goal. Are grid girls going to help that goal or hinder it? Lets face it they ain't going to help.

Pickman's was right earlier, this is nothing to do with snowflake this, neo-puritanical that or even making women disappear - this is purely a commercial decision. Red toothed capitalism and its weird (and funny) to see so many flag waivers for capitalism get all hot under the collar about it.

Because it makes me very aware that whatever I do, whatever I'm doing, men are judging me because of how I look. That I'm a more valuable human being if I'm attractive and dressed in a particular way. That, as a woman, looks, body shape and age are prized or otherwise.
Hmmmm. Would you apply that to all female modelling then? Where does the line get drawn?

Your occasional reminder that bigots, racists and generally right-wing trolls most often accuse their opponents of doing the exact same things that they are guilty of.

Mind you if I were a woman I might almost be relieved that the mask has slipped for some on this issue. Because so many men have apparently learnt how to say mostly the right things when it comes to debates about, for example, rape, sexual assault, groping and harassment. But there are lingering suspicions that this new found enlightenment has its limits, for some more than others, so perhaps it is a relief to find visible signs of the true limits of progress at this stage.

Because it makes me very aware that whatever I do, whatever I'm doing, men are judging me because of how I look. That I'm a more valuable human being if I'm attractive and dressed in a particular way. That, as a woman, looks, body shape and age are prized or otherwise.

If you can't see how this feeds into a culture where men feel entitled to comment on women's looks and fuckability (or otherwise), then you're either not very bright or have little imagination. Sas is just a fucking arsehole but we all know that.

Errr... ever considered that you are deluding yourself? To the point of mental imbalance? As a male of 65, I can assure you that for all of my working life, I judged a woman by how well they did their job, not how they looked. Ditto when I had a female boss, I was more concerned that she did her job, which enabled me to do mine.

I could take offence over your blanket accusation concerning the mindset of all men, because you clearly have no clue whatsoever, beyond your blind stereotyping.

We're all judged constantly on how we look, what we say, what we know, the list is endless. So what?

Why do you care what motorsport fans think of you? isn't that your problem? why do the grid girls have to take responsibility for your insecurities? Do good looking women in public make you feel the same way? What responsibility should they take for your feelings?

Let's hope some of these teenage girl magazines and women's magazines follow suit - because some of the content in these rags are just as damaging to women and (especially) teenage girls, in terms of objectifying and judging them. Will be interesting, too, what the A listers to Z listers think about this, as they parade themselves for the cameras at the next premiere or showbiz love-fest. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Thought not.

Lights! Camera! Action! Indeed.

Mind you if I were a woman I might almost be relieved that the mask has slipped for some on this issue. Because so many men have apparently learnt how to say mostly the right things when it comes to debates about, for example, rape, sexual assault, groping and harassment. But there are lingering suspicions that this new found enlightenment has its limits, for some more than others, so perhaps it is a relief to find visible signs of the true limits of progress at this stage.
I doubt if there is a single person posting here that rape, sexual assault, groping and harassment is acceptable behaviour. I certainly don't.

I doubt if there is a single person posting here believes that rape, sexual assault, groping and harassment is acceptable behaviour. I certainly don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom