Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trump presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listening to a couple of podcasts the other day that said the press corp is going to have to work together to work this out; stuff like if the administration doesn't answer one reporter's question, the next one asks the same question, and again, and again. It was suggested that the press corp wouldn't be able to work like that, but goddammit I hope they do sort something out.

It would make it hard to work like that if the Press Secretary is going to just read from a sheet of A4 then walk off.

This feels a little like when Mourinho complains about the seats in the dugout when his team has just played a shocker.

Will certainly be interesting to see how the Sunday press covers all of this.

it'll be a really interesting relationship... They both need each other now...trump wants the kudos, especially the state visit, plus brexit plus plus conitation, whereas May obviously needs to make the UK the 51st state. Yet she's going to have to smile politely as he does his thing.... Trump is going to be pretty toxic so she can't get too close..... Meaningful politics aside it'll be a spectacle for sure.

Who do you mean? The supporters that voted for him or supporters in the White House/Republican party hierarchy? I get the impression he doesn't have that many in the latter?
See my edit, supporters in the White House. And he might not have many supported in the party but having a President from you party impeached is hardly a vote winner.

Well as Farage,Gove and Johnson have already been over Maggie May needs to get over pronto.

MoS says she will tell him to pack it in over being rude to wimmin.As if.

The phrase 'pussyfooting around' entered the American political lexicon via George Wallace, a racist Alabama politician from the Sixties.

002_George-Wallace.jpg

In 1963, George Wallace was the guy who literally and symbolically blocked the schoolhouse door in adamant opposition to desegregation. It took federal marshals and the Deputy Attorney General of the United States to get him to move aside. I learned at an early age my family was opposed to segregation and all other forms of discrimination, but I wanted to make an image that showed the true character of Wallace without my personal feelings clouding the issue. The minute Wallace started saying things like “the government needs to quit pussyfooting around” and referring to “pointy-headed intellectuals” my camera started clicking. Here are the results.

George Wallace 1967 » Golub Photo Blog

Among other things, Wallace is known for blocking the entrance to the University of Alabama to keep black students from entering. His slogan was 'segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever'.

40e1d576-6d89-4b4f-9436-e16c6673dc73-23459214_BG1.jpg

Just a little background on who it is that Sarah Palin is quoting.

Kind of irrelevant to the message Palin was giving.

Not at all. Palin was quoting the words of an American racist politician to express how things are now going to change in the US.

Americans with any familiarity about US politics and history are well aware of the phrase. Its use carries a particular meaning, and evokes memories of a particular period of time in the US.

It helps to give understanding of what Trump followers think the phrase 'make America great again', means.

Not at all. Palin was quoting the words of an American racist politician to express how things are now going to change in the US.

Americans with any familiarity about US politics and history are well aware of the phrase. Its use carries a particular meaning, and evokes memories of a particular period of time in the US.

It helps to give understanding of what Trump followers think the phrase 'make America great again', means.
Oh right, you credit her with that much knowledge/political acumen? Maybe then?
I thought it was merely a crude attempt to distinguish herself from today's marchers.

As I said, the phrase and its context might be unknown or little-known in Britain; it's different in the US, and even in Canada, which has had broad exposure to American media for many decades. Palin's awareness of it doesn't require or reveal any specialized acumen on her part.

brogdale

As I said, the phrase and its context might be unknown or little-known in Britain; it's different in the US, and even in Canada, which has had broad exposure to American media for many decades. Palin's awareness of it doesn't require or reveal any specialized acumen on her part.

I'm not disbelieving you, but Google tells me she used this phrase in her endorsement of Trump's candidacy and it was widely taken as a key soundbite from her speech, but seemingly without any comment on its possible connection to Wallace.

I'm not disbelieving you, but Google tells me she used this phrase in her endorsement of Trump's candidacy and it was widely taken as a key soundbite from her speech, but seemingly without any comment on its possible connection to Wallace.

Comment isn't necessary; the connection is already there.

If you want to think that the use of George Wallace's phrase by a politician who campaigned for the Tea Party, and who was/is a frequent commentator on Fox News is a coincidence, that's your prerogative. :)

Comment isn't necessary; the connection is already there.

If you want to think that the use of George Wallace's phrase by a politician who campaigned for the Tea Party, and who was/is a frequent commentator on Fox News is a coincidence, that's your prerogative. :)

OK, now I'm disbelieving a little. If there was comment to be made, someone would have made it.

brogdale
If you say; but I've not heard of that automatic association.

It's been her theme since the day she endorsed him a year ago:

Palin said with a Trump presidency there would be "no more pussyfooting around."

From Jan 2016

But her history with Wallaceisms goes back a lot further than that. Here's this from 2010:

Palin: "Voters are sending a message." Wallace: "Send them a message!"

Palin: "The soul of this movement is the people, everyday Americans, who grow our food and run our small businesses, who teach our kids and fight our wars.... The elitists who denounce this movement, they just don't want to hear the message." Wallace: "They've looked down their noses at the average man on the street too long. They've looked [down] at the bus driver, the truck driver, the beautician, the fireman, the policeman, and the steelworker...."

Palin: "We need a commander-in-chief, not a professor of law standing at the lectern." Wallace: "We have a professor -- I'm not talking about all professors, but here's an issue in the campaign -- we got these pseudo-theoreticians, and these pseudo-social engineers.... They want to tell you how to do."

Palin: "What does he [Obama] actually seek to accomplish...? The answer is to make government bigger; take more of your money; give you more orders from Washington." Wallace: "They say, 'We've gotta write a guideline. We've gotta tell you when to get up in the morning. We've gotta tell you when to go to bed at night.' "
Is Sarah Palin Just George Wallace 2.0? | Nashville Post

Cherry-picked, for sure, but those bottom three sure make it sound like she or her speech-writer are more than familiar with Wallace.

Comparisons with Wallace have been made ever since she was named McCain's running mate in 2008. If this particular phrase didn't garner much comment, that's perhaps because it's well-judged. Wallace didn't coin the phrase, so anyone using this as evidence of a link to him on its own would be on pretty weak ground. Also, a year ago, how many people really gave a shit that Palin was endorsing Trump?

You can see it here. Skip to about 1 hour 33 minutes.

Yeah that actually is a bit wtf. A big lecture to the press about how bad they are with lots of lies (and not even making sense in itself - he said no-one could know how many people because the park service hadn't put it out, but it was definitely the biggest one ever) , and then just a few bits of information of what is going on, then off before any questions could even be asked.

Also, does he always look like that, or did he look complete stressed rather than just cross? Weird.

not even making sense in itself - he said no-one could know how many people because the park service hadn't put it out, but it was definitely the biggest one ever
Associated Press:
TRUMP: "I made a speech. I looked out. The field was - it looked like a million, a million and a half people."

The president went on to say that one network "said we drew 250,000 people. Now that's not bad. But it's a lie." He then claimed that were 250,000 right by the stage and the "rest of the, you know, 20-block area, all the way back to the Washington Monument was packed."

"So we caught them," said Trump. "And we caught them in a beauty. And I think they're going to pay a big price."

THE FACTS: Trump is wrong. Photos of the National Mall from his inauguration make clear that the crowd did not extend to the Washington Monument. Large swaths of empty space are visible on the Mall.

Thin crowds and partially empty bleachers also dotted the inaugural parade route. Hotels across the District of Columbia reported vacancies, a rarity for an event as large as a presidential inauguration.

And ridership on the Washington's Metro system didn't match that of recent inaugurations.

As of 11 a.m. that day, there were 193,000 trips taken, according to the transit service's Twitter account. At the same hour eight years ago, there had been 513,000 trips. Four years later, there were 317,000 for Obama's second inauguration. There were 197,000 at 11 a.m. in 2005 for President George W. Bush's second inauguration.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer later added to the misstatements.

Spicer claimed that it was the first time a white tarp was used to protect the grass on the National Mall and that it drew attention to any empty space. But the same tarp was used four years ago.

Spicer also said it was "the first time that fencing and magnetometers went as far back on the Mall, preventing hundreds of thousands of people from being able to access the Mall as quickly as they had in inaugurations past."

The Secret Service says that this was the first time security fencing was installed around the National Mall for an inauguration. To get onto the Mall, people were required to go through one of seven checkpoints where their bags were checked, but there were no magnetometers used at those checkpoints.

A law enforcement official not authorized to publicly discuss the inauguration says officials were "not aware of any issues with flow rate in and around the National Mall."

Spicer then said, "This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration - period - both in person and around the globe."

He offered no evidence and there is no immediate way to confirm such a claim.

But photo taken during Barack Obama's 2009 inauguration showed substantially more people on the Mall. It is not known how many people watched the ceremony on television around the globe. In the U.S., Nielsen estimates 31 million viewers watched TV coverage, but that's less than Barack Obama's and Ronald Reagan's first inaugurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom