Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trump presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, the other, scarier implication of their willingness to lie about something a) so trivial and b) so disproveable is what more serious things will they lie about when there isn't such clear evidence to the contrary.

Administrations have always been questionable, but this will be likely another level!

"So we caught them," said Trump. "And we caught them in a beauty. And I think they're going to pay a big price."

so what price? Libel? well he'd not win. So what price? closed down? jailed? what a cock

The phrase 'pussyfooting around' entered the American political lexicon via George Wallace, a racist Alabama politician from the Sixties.

002_George-Wallace.jpg

George Wallace 1967 » Golub Photo Blog

It's a phrase that's been around a good while before that though...
First seen in print in1893 in Scribner’s Magazine..*

*Oxford English Dictionary, pussy-footed, adj., 3rd Edition, Dec 2007, Oxford University Press, accessed 25 Dec 2008 <http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/50293919

Yes I did note that...but it is an Americanism and I don't think Palin would have used it in any other way than as such..

Fair enough: Americans would disagree, though. e.g.

nuanced a year ago

I haven't seen anyone else mention it but it sure struck a chord with me. When was the last time you heard a politician use the term "pussyfooting"? For me it was the campaign of George Wallace. He used it a lot.

WATCH: Colbert Shreds Sarah Palin's Trump Endorsement—Offers Up His Own Palinesque Plugs

so what price? Libel? well he'd not win. So what price? closed down? jailed? what a cock
access, scoops, maybe federal spend on public information campaigns, if they do that sort of thing in the US, lots of ways non-compliant media can be brought to heel in the news market. Buy shares in Fox.

It only seems subtle if not familiar with the cultural associations. It's not subtle. It's exactly the sort of thing one would expect her to say.
As I said earlier, I'm prepared to bow to your local knowledge, but it does leave us with the uncomfortable truth that Palin (or whoever runs her twitter account) has put together a very clever, multi-faceted trolling message which can be defended as an innocent, common-parlance encouragement to POTUS....managing to offend/inflame the feminists whilst reaching out to the supremacists.
Nice.

As I said earlier, I'm prepared to bow to your local knowledge, but it does leave us with the uncomfortable truth that Palin (or whoever runs her twitter account) has put together a very clever, multi-faceted trolling message which can be defended as an innocent, common-parlance encouragement to POTUS....managing to offend/inflame the feminists whilst reaching out to the supremacists.
Nice.

It's just common, garden-variety dogwhistle politics.

Trust a kraut to be pedantic about fascist rhetoric but yes.

That speech had Bannon's Breitbartian hand all over it. A Benito Mussolini would be throwing a hissy fit at the association.

Press should just play it straight and let him hang himself .

Trump needs a win to get going-big tax cuts is the obvious one as the house will no doubt resurrect Laffer .

But of course always expect the unexpected -an Event could happen at any time.

In timely (?) fashion, Verso have reproduced Poulantzas' "Fascism and Dictatorship" (1974) on their blog.

The criticisms made of the book at the time - , the main one being abandonment of historical detail in favour of ever more abstract model building - stand up very well today. I don't think the book offers anything useful today whatsoever - not in analysing a generic fascism and certainly not in examining what's happening with the US state and capital relationships.. I remember reading it in the 8os and thinking to myself this, this is what they're all going on about as the height of historical-theoretical sophistication. That original intro is crazy. In fact, verso trying to make a point by using it today is crazy - and it's a mis-selling.

Don't worry, it's only CNN. If black-clad national political police were to turn up and haul them all away in buses it wouldn't be a loss to actual journalism, the 4th estate would remain unmolested.

Trump needs a win to get going-big tax cuts is the obvious one as the house will no doubt resurrect Laffer .

But of course always expect the unexpected -an Event could happen at any time.
Everyone is dreading the smallest terrorist incident in the US, or confrontation with China or NK.....or worst of all with Iran.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom