Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Lefts reaction to hurricane Katrina

Johnny Canuck2 said:
Oh yeah, I forgot: canada is increasing its oil production export to the US by 100,000 barrels per day during the emergency.
thought they were getting that cheap from iraq?

Gumbert said:
that for three states 100,000 dead, pitifull...

I'd like to see you do better. :rolleyes:

Or 1/10 as good, with a comparable dissaster.

F---ing armchair quarterbacks.

Do you watch a game and pretend your better at football as well?

Gumbert said:
thought they were getting that cheap from iraq?

We are their largest supplier of oil among other things.

imo - if they need any extra cash they can take it out of the monies owed to us due to the soft lumber dispute.

One thing this does bring home to me: there are disasters all over the world, all the time, earthquakes, floods, etc.

We are saddened by them, and we donate money. But I think that we, us North Americans and probably Europeans, don't see it the same way as we do when little kids wearing Nikes and Gap jeans start dying of dehydration in a place where we're used to seeing the San Diego Chicken razzing the Saints.

I've gone to sleep at night in the past few days thinking about the people in NO, and I'll be honest: I don't do that when it's thousands of people dying in Sudan.

Perhaps we can be a little bit too insular over here at times.

pbman said:
Its larger than the UK.

But can you move them in, without FEMA, diverting personel form other missions to help you with logistics...........?

That the issue, with help, its a logistical nighmare, unless you are like a us navy fleet, and are self-supporting...........

CAn your navy, support your hospitals?

Are we talking a turn key operation?

Yes. Our military may be lacking large airlift capacity, but the navy, and the army, once on the ground, are fully self sufficient. They'll bring their own helicopters, trucks, gas and food.

They've proven their ability many times, on UN missions, on the sea in the Gulf war, etc.

spring-peeper said:
We are their largest supplier of oil among other things.

imo - if they need any extra cash they can take it out of the monies owed to us due to the soft lumber dispute.
what precisely 'is owed to us'? do you mean workers or management?

as an aside

Johnny Canuck2 said:
Yes. Our military may be lacking large airlift capacity, but the navy, and the army, once on the ground, are fully self sufficient. They'll bring their own helicopters, trucks, gas and food.

They've proven their ability many times, on UN missions, on the sea in the Gulf war, etc.
lets see it then...

Johnny Canuck2 said:

But can you set up without ports, roads or that kind of thing?

How exatly can you get in?

CAn you fly them in from ships?

On normal UN missions we all have modern ports to unload with........

Johnny Canuck2 said:
One thing this does bring home to me: there are disasters all over the world, all the time, earthquakes, floods, etc.

We are saddened by them, and we donate money. But I think that we, us North Americans and probably Europeans, don't see it the same way as we do when little kids wearing Nikes and Gap jeans start dying of dehydration in a place where we're used to seeing the San Diego Chicken razzing the Saints.

I've gone to sleep at night in the past few days thinking about the people in NO, and I'll be honest: I don't do that when it's thousands of people dying in Sudan.

Perhaps we can be a little bit too insular over here at times.

No, I don't think that that is the case.

The African problem has been going on for a long time and probably will continue to go on for a long time. We have accepted it. Corrupt governments, lousy climate etc.

The NO incident was an act of nature - but the horror of it is being compounded by the fact that the government to the south of us is just as incompetance as those in the third world.

For me, that is what is keeping me up at nights.

Also, the fact that I always suspected that Americans could easily disolve into violence. It really sucks that I was right.

Pbman once explained that his countrymen had to have access to guns because they can't trust the police or government. I really didn't want him to be right about that either. But he was.

Very sad.

pbman said:

there you go....

surely

spring-peeper said:
No, I don't think that that is the case.

The African problem has been going on for a long time and probably will continue to go on for a long time. We have accepted it. Corrupt governments, lousy climate etc.

Very sad.

You don't think the local gov't is courpt in New Orelans?

Or the climate is lousy?

What planet are you from?

pbman said:

They are bringing helicopters. But I assume that they'll disembark in the same manner that US sailors will from the US navy ships heading for the gulf.

spring-peeper said:
Halifax is a long way from NO.

Go look at a map. (I'm not being sarcastic - just lazy - North America is a very large place)
takes less than a day by air, its been six days...an untold tragic deaths...

lots of use

Johnny Canuck2 said:
They are bringing helicopters. But I assume that they'll disembark in the same manner that US sailors will from the US navy ships heading for the gulf.

Kinda shuddered about the helicopters - are they the Sea Kings?

Johnny Canuck2 said:

They are drive on drive off, ships?

In any event, i belive the hospitals survived in most areas, as they are very well constructed buildings.

Gumbert said:
takes less than a day by air, its been six days...an untold tragic deaths...

lots of use

I'm sorry - exactly what is your country doing?

And - we are a country that is not really trusted by the Americans, we do need permission.

You really don't want to get into the Canadian vs Homeland Security issues, trust me.

Back
Top Bottom