Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Hurricane Milton be a dud or will it be paradise lost?

That article is wrong in one aspect.
I live in Britain, but I know that it is untrue that “The entire party has completely abandoned not just common sense, but the basic acknowledgement of the laws of cause and effect.”
There are Republicans who reject this conspiracy mongering.

There may well be vaguely sensible (relatively speaking) Republicans left in the US, but they're not the ones calling the shots or in charge of the party machinery. If JD Vance as the Vice-Presidential candidate is anything to go by, then the Republican pivot after Trump is looking likely to involve becoming the political arm of Big Tech neo-feudalists like Peter "the Vampire Count" Thiel.

All of the conspiracy theories and misinformation are frustrating. One of the things I've noticed with online comments is that now right-wingers are angry that the hurricane wasn't quite as bad as predicted. How is that a bad thing? People survived who wouldn't have if it had come on land as a Cat. 5.

I also see people who are angry and confused over what category it was. They're claiming the number changed over time and they're mad that the media is lying to them. I don't understand this. Obviously, the weather machine the government uses to make hurricanes takes a while to start up and shut down. That's why it went from a tropical storm to cat 5, to cat 3, etc. Simples.

Before we can move forward as a country, we need to examine the source of all this rage. I think people latch on to things like this (aided by people with an agenda), when they're uncertain of their future. It's also the anger of people who can't see the larger picture of what's going on with the American economy. They're lashing out for anyone and anything to blame.

Last edited:
All of the conspiracy theories and misinformation are frustrating. One of the things I've noticed with online comments is that now right-wingers are angry that the hurricane wasn't quite as bad as predicted. How is that a bad thing? People survived who wouldn't have if it had come on land as a Cat. 5.

I also see people who are angry and confused over what category it was. They're claiming the number changed over time and they're mad that the media is lying to them. I don't understand this. Obviously, the weather machine the government uses to make hurricanes takes a while to start up and shut down. That's why it went from a tropical storm to cat 5, to cat 3, etc. Simples.

Before we can move forward as a country, we need to examine the source of all this rage. I think people latch on to things like this (aided by people with an agenda), when they're uncertain of their future. It's also the anger of people who can't see the larger picture of what's going on with the American economy. They're lashing out for anyone and anything to blame.
Something shifted a few years ago and I can't think how to fix that way of thinking. It's as though cynicism has become a disease of some kind, not just an attitude but a disorder. As you say, they're angry that hurricanes are stronger than before, angry that they're not as strong as predicted, angry that science is constantly examining and re-examining facts on the ground. There is an industry in "proving" that we're being lied to, and it's based on angry base emotions.

I can understand people being pissed off at having in many cases to uproot their entire life if the hurricane turned out not to be serious, but if someone's angrily shouting on twitter nowhere near it, then...
Something shifted a few years ago and I can't think how to fix that way of thinking. It's as though cynicism has become a disease of some kind, not just an attitude but a disorder. As you say, they're angry that hurricanes are stronger than before, angry that they're not as strong as predicted, angry that science is constantly examining and re-examining facts on the ground. There is an industry in "proving" that we're being lied to, and it's based on angry base emotions.

I can understand people being pissed off at having in many cases to uproot their entire life if the hurricane turned out not to be serious, but if someone's angrily shouting on twitter nowhere near it, then...
I'd rather uproot my life than have it taken away from me altogether.

It's a no-win situation really. If warnings are given and the event turns out to be less traumatic than feared, people then criticise those who issued the warnings for "scaremongering" but if such warnings are not given and a disaster unfolds with massive loss of life, the same people will be complaining that they were not warned adequately.

I'd rather uproot my life than have it taken away from me altogether.

It's a no-win situation really. If warnings are given and the event turns out to be less traumatic than feared, people then criticise those who issued the warnings for "scaremongering" but if such warnings are not given and a disaster unfolds with massive loss of life, the same people will be complaining that they were not warned adequately.
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing just saying it's understandable.

People still laugh at the 1987 forecast for saying there wasn't a hurricane when there was. I don't remember anyone being angry about it but I'm sure if social media had been around then they would have been.

the worst hit areas do seem to be areas where this isn't entirely uncommon.

e.g.
Danielle Theiss has lived on this street in east Orlando her entire life - she’s used to seeing these roads flooded.

Her house, with a river right behind it, was flooded so badly during a hurricane last year that her husband and two young children have been living in a camper van in her grandmother’s backyard across town.

"Last one was way worse," she says, as we stand looking down mangrove-lined stretch of her dead-end road.

You can see mailboxes just about poking up out of the water, as Theiss describes what’s happened to her neighbourhood.

"This house, I guarantee you is probably under water - and that one’s probably got water in it as well," she tells me.

"And right there, where you can see the green mailbox, it’s probably about six-feet deep or so right there. You gotta swim to get down there."

Most of her neighbours left before the storm, and can’t return to their houses until the waters recede.

In 2023, Hurricane Ian in 2023 caused this same street to be covered in so much water that her family required an aquatic evacuation.

That's not an unusual sight in hurricane-plagued Florida. "If people need out, we’ve got boats. We’ll come get em," she laughs. "We’re used to it."

There is an industry in "proving" that we're being lied to, and it's based on angry base emotions.
I've heard that described as the 'anger-industrial complex'...
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing just saying it's understandable.

People still laugh at the 1987 forecast for saying there wasn't a hurricane when there was. I don't remember anyone being angry about it but I'm sure if social media had been around then they would have been.
A bunch of angry people wrote in to points of view and the newspapers about it at the time, plus there was a lot of noise in the news. The problem with social media is that it's given all of the deranged 'green pen letter' fuckwits a platform, a megaphone, and the means to network and organise with similar unhinged morons.

I've heard that described as the 'anger-industrial complex'...

A bunch of angry people wrote in to points of view and the newspapers about it at the time, plus there was a lot of noise in the news. The problem with social media is that it's given all of the deranged 'green pen letter' fuckwits a platform, a megaphone, and the means to network and organise with similar unhinged morons.
Yeah I wasn't born at the time but when I was growing up people talked about it as a kind of a 'lol you can't trust weather forecasts' as opposed to some big conspiracy about it.

I was 12 when it hit. Micheal Fish's on-air dismissiveness about the hurricane made him the poster boy for the "weather forecasting is bullshit" types. The only plus back then was that no-one outside of a secure mental health facility thought that the weather could be controlled.

Technically it wasn't a hurricane, it was the remnants of one from the US. By the time it reached here the winds weren't strong enough to be classed as a hurricane.

I was 12 when it hit. Micheal Fish's on-air dismissiveness about the hurricane made him the poster boy for the "weather forecasting is bullshit" types. The only plus back then was that no-one outside of a secure mental health facility thought that the weather could be controlled.
I remember the 'Chemtrails' conspiracy from the early 2000s at least and the idea of 'cloud seeding' around then. I think there was a few trolls on urban like 'windsor' who promulgated such stuff but they were universally laughed at. So the ideas have been around a long time, but they used to be almost completely dismissed.

Technically it wasn't a hurricane, it was the remnants of one from the US. By the time it reached here the winds weren't strong enough to be classed as a hurricane.
I dunno I looked it up on wiki and it definitely had winds that were well over hurricane strength but it was an extratropical cyclone and not a hurricane. Everyone used those words pretty interchangeably though.

I remember the 'Chemtrails' conspiracy from the early 2000s at least and the idea of 'cloud seeding' around then. I think there was a few trolls on urban like 'windsor' who promulgated such stuff but they were universally laughed at. So the ideas have been around a long time, but they used to be almost completely dismissed.
Yeah, but those dipshits were largely isolated and irrelevant -even in the online world. Back then you needed to actively seek out that sort of idiocy whereas nowadays a SM algorithm can just push that crap right into your feed with no searching required... It doesn't help that major public figures are also pushing the bullshit as hard as possible, and that was never a thing with wider societal impact back then. I remember when David Icke first went loon on national TV, what followed was ridicule, the end of his career and ostracisation to the loon convention circuit (before internet 2.0 hastened his odious return to public visibility). These days if some famous twat effectively had a nervous breakdown on national TV they'd have a book deal, a reality documentary series 'in the works' and a ginormous SM profile within a matter of days, all whilst other twats in the media and their allies subsequently relentlessly sanewash them and make them out to be not quite as divorced from reality as they clearly are.

It's utterly maddening and fucking distressing tbh.

Yeah, but those dipshits were largely isolated and irrelevant -even in the online world. Back then you needed to actively seek out that sort of idiocy whereas nowadays a SM algorithm can just push that crap right into your feed with no searching required... It doesn't help that major public figures are also pushing the bullshit as hard as possible, and that was never a thing with wider societal impact back then. I remember when David Icke first went loon on national TV, what followed was ridicule, the end of his career and ostracisation to the loon convention circuit (before internet 2.0 hastened his odious return to public visibility). These days if some famous twat effectively had a nervous breakdown on national TV they'd have a book deal, a reality documentary series 'in the works' and a ginormous SM profile within a matter of days, all whilst other twats in the media and their allies subsequently relentlessly sanewash them and make them out to be not quite as divorced from reality as they clearly are.

Yes exactly.

I agree with that but… even with all the smoke and mirrors of SM there must ultimately be a worrying number of people prepared to embrace, share and believe these views. It wouldn’t be a grift if people weren’t buying it.

I remember the 'Chemtrails' conspiracy from the early 2000s at least and the idea of 'cloud seeding' around then. I think there was a few trolls on urban like 'windsor' who promulgated such stuff but they were universally laughed at. So the ideas have been around a long time, but they used to be almost completely dismissed
Cloud seeding does take place. The US air force used it to try to make it rain over North Vietnam, and bombed the dykes, in order to created flooding in the country.

Cloud seeding does take place. The US air force used it to try to make it rain over North Vietnam, and bombed the dykes, in order to created flooding in the country.
yeah like so much conspiracy thinkng there are truths behind it
likewise the theoretical plans of reflecting back sunlight and other bioengineering to reverse climate change all gets fed in the blender of bullshit

Well, cloud seeding does have some success. It is used in Russia to make clouds drop their rain before they reach Moscow on a day when there is a big parade. The rain-laden clouds have to be around to be seeded, though. No-one can magic up clouds.
It's an agricultural thing as well. But nobody could create a Category 5 or even Category 1 hurricane from this.

Back
Top Bottom