Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Hurricane Milton be a dud or will it be paradise lost?

Something shifted a few years ago and I can't think how to fix that way of thinking. It's as though cynicism has become a disease of some kind, not just an attitude but a disorder. As you say, they're angry that hurricanes are stronger than before, angry that they're not as strong as predicted, angry that science is constantly examining and re-examining facts on the ground. There is an industry in "proving" that we're being lied to, and it's based on angry base emotions.

I think the cynicism has been deliberately cultivated. I remember when Ronald Reagan said "The government is not the solution to the problem. The government is the problem." It's all been downhill since Reagan.

Would have been about to turn 6 years old at the time of the 1987 October storm. It woke me up during the night, so I helpfully went in to their room to tell my parents there was a storm happening :D

I recall the trees being down on the railway line in to London from Sidcup so not sure if Dad got to work. Trees down in our road including one which fell onto / into a house.

School and nursery was closed for myself / brother. We went for a walk round the local park (Waring Park) and loads of trees down there too. Mum would have been working at the local drama college so perhaps we went there for the day, if I was ever off school during the holidays she used to bring me in and I’d play in the corner of her office (she did something to do with the union I think)

I think the cynicism has been deliberately cultivated. I remember when Ronald Reagan said "The government is not the solution to the problem. The government is the problem." It's all been downhill since Reagan.

Gil Scott-Heron nailed the whole thing. Elect a B-movie actor as president, you turn real life into a B-movie.

Back
Top Bottom