Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The children of Windrush

Lewisham Deptford Labour Party

JUSTICE FOR WINDRUSH: CALL TO ACTION

On 10th May, your Labour Party representatives on the General Committee unanimously called for local and national action in solidarity with Windrush generation families and other migrant communities impacted by Prime Minister May’s “hostile environment” policies.

The emergency motion (see below) calls on

1. Our MP Vicky Foxcroft to hold a public meeting on the Windrush scandal to establish a framework in which people’s stories can be heard; people’s concerns and information documented in order to help prepare legal cases.

2. On Labour Party members to participate in/or organise Justice for Windrush Generation outreach to help raise awareness of the agencies, advice centres, service providers and online help, available to those who need it.
As proposed by the floor, the Windrush commemorations towards the end of June are a perfect opportunity to organise coordinated borough-wide action. We will work closely with our MP Vicky Foxcroft and her team to produce leaflets and posters to support outreach.

Here’s how you can participate:

• Nominate a contact person: email us at: lewishamdept.labour.bame@gmail.com if you’d like to be a contact person for your ward and/or would like to organise an event. We will send you leaflets and regular updates.

• Come to an informal meeting “BEYOND THE WINDRUSH SCANDAL” on Sunday 27th May: This is a meeting bringing people across boroughs together, including speakers who will be sharing their expertise, to coordinate activities and strategies. EVERYONE WELCOME - not just BAME - we need everyone involved. 6:30 - 8:30pm at the New Cross Learning. - please help us get as many people there as possible by sharing the attached social media graphic.
We need your help and active participation to organise coordinated action in all corners of our borough.

We only have a few weeks to get organised.

Please get in touch if you would like to participate or if you can help us design and produce materials.

We look forward to hearing from you.

In unity,

Isabel and Marcela

LD BAME FORUM Secretaries.

LEWISHAM DEPTFORD BAME FORUM - EMERGENCY MOTION ON WINDRUSH SCANDAL

WE DENOUNCE:

The government’s introduction of hostile measures that have made it increasingly difficult for people to access the most basic of services and legal support, in order to navigate the UK's increasingly complicated and costly immigration system.

WE CONDEMN:

That many people from Commonwealth countries, unable to supply official “right to stay documentation, have been targeted as illegal, threatened with deportation, denied benefits and healthcare.

WE ACKNOWLEDGE:

That public outcry and pressure from Labour MPs such as Diane Abbott, David Lammy and Dawn Butler has forced the Conservative government to promise compensation and citizenship for their mistreatment of the Windrush generation, and that Home Secretary Amber Rudd was forced to resign.

WE STRESS:

That is not enough and that while the spotlight remains on the Windrush generation, less visible victims of the government’s immigration policies continue to suffer and be at risk.

NOTING THE ABOVE AND THAT: Lewisham and Deptford has a large ethnic minority community, including many African and Caribbean people.

WE STRONGLY URGE:

· Lewisham Council, Mayor and MP Vicky Foxcroft to join the calls for justice by:

· Holding a public meeting on the Windrush scandal to establish a framework in which people’s stories can be heard; people’s concerns and information documented in order to help prepare legal cases.

· Calling on the government to; grant the amnesty and compensation, full restoration of rights – including return for those deported that want to return - for all Windrush generation migrants and their children; to stop all deportations until all Commonwealth citizens who arrived before 1971 and their descendants have their British citizenship confirmed; to abolish measures in the 2014 Immigration Act, that have forced landlords, health professionals, employers, teachers to demand information from people on their immigration status; to provide a comprehensive report outlined the number of deportees, lives, homes/jobs and benefits lost and the number that have been held in detention, and have died as a consequence.

WE CALL ON:

· Lewisham Labour councillors to not rely on the Home Office 'help line' reportedly run by unqualified agency staff and instead lead in supporting residents by running confidential councillor sessions, where possible with BAME members, working together with local immigration lawyers to establish free drop in advice sessions in the coming months.

· CLP activists to support our councillors, our MP, and Mayor, by organising a Justice for Windrush action day - organise stalls and leafletting across the borough - to promote the public meeting and drop in advice surgeries and at the same time reach out to other communities affected.

Our local Labour party are getting organised on this matter. Hoping the other regions/boroughs are doing likewise.

So he's in prison on a stolen goods charge, after he visited the Home Office to make sure he had legal status to remain - and they grassed him up? Wankers.

In a way Amber Rudd's resignation may have taken some heat out of the pressure on government on this :mad:
Yes, in that they can view it as "OK, there's the traditional one person sacrifice/resignation in turn for future favours sorted out".

But the whole damn royal wedding thing has been good at keeping real and important things out of the news. (And also sneaking in a few more useless bad bastards to the House of Lords).

I'm going to try again to hear Akala, but my computer not good at sounds and my hearing not good either.

Unlikely:

Dexter Bristol: Windrush migrant's death to get second inquest amid Home Office dispute

DdbktrhV4AEhlPj.jpg

She won't give up.

Windrush scandal: Eligible victim wrongly denied help
Ms Sims moved to the UK from the US with her mother and has lived in the UK for more than 35 years.

She was put in foster care as a teenager after her mother died, and it was around this time that much of her documentation was lost - including family photos and her original passport declaring she has indefinite leave to remain.

Last April she was subjected to a routine DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check by her employers, Lewisham Council.

She holds a US passport from her time in care stating she was granted leave to remain in a previous passport, and the BBC has seen documents in her care files which prove she has been known to her local authority since at least the age of seven.

Nevertheless, the council said this was not enough evidence.

"They accused me and my mum of being illegal immigrants and said I'd forged my passport," she said.

"I was a child and feel like I've been put on trial for something I couldn't control."

Ms Sims lost her right to work, access to healthcare and benefits. She is now thousands of pounds in debt and relying on food banks, despite 20 years' experience in social care and as a primary school teaching assistant.

Back
Top Bottom