Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

New rules coming in on selling anything to the EU from 1st July (previously this didn't apply under a certain value)

"A shop can:
  1. warn its customers that local import VAT will be payable by the customer to the shipping agent on or before delivery, on all shipments entering the EU after 1 July.

2. register under IOSS (Import One Stop Shop) in one EU country to pay VAT locally, for all EU country shipments; this requires an EU-established intermediary or VAT agent/representative - IOSS - Taxation and Customs Union - European Commission

3. wait for the UK government to open the promised UK IOSS access, where UK businesses can register for IOSS - currently we're told "it is not expected that the UK IOSS registration portal will be available for use for the 1 July 2021 launch. Further guidance on this will be made available before 1 July 2021." https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eu-e-commerce-package/eu-vat-e-commerce-package"

Total nightmare for shops, and so complicated - different countries have different VAT rates. Some items are VAT exempt arent they? Yet guidance suggests even those items should be charged. ?? Fuck only knows.

That .gov link suggest this applies to Northern Ireland too

Biggest fuck up is the government "help" - there is some kind of portal but its not even going to be ready on time.
    Speaking to a couple of people I know who this is affecting (affects anyone with a shop it seems), they are going to stop selling to those regions affected.

Last edited:
As its quite an emotionally charged and technically complex issue. Given a choice between playing the player or the ball..... How does Maros say the letter 'h'?
Eh?

Am I being slow here?
We do or we don't "need to talk about Maros Sefcovic"?

Not sure I'm following this.

Let’s just say that he’s what is politely described politically as a ‘family man ‘ who supports ‘Christian values ‘ .

Let’s just say that he’s what is politely described politically as a ‘family man ‘ who supports ‘Christian values ‘ .
Oh, I see...holds some regressive socio-political viewpoints, eh?

But what that's got to do with him representing the supra-state's position that the UK should not renege of a deal that it agreed?

I’m sure that he has many skills that are appreciated within the EU and by some posters on these boards .
Sure he has, but I can't see how that impacts on the present negotiations any more than David Frost's personal political beliefs?
The issue is pretty clear-cut; the UK wants to renege on the agreement/treaty it agreed 6 months ago and the supra-state doesn't want that; can't see how the repugnant views of those involved really inform that process?

Sure he has, but I can't see how that impacts on the present negotiations any more than David Frost's personal political beliefs?
The issue is pretty clear-cut; the UK wants to renege on the agreement/treaty it agreed 6 months ago and the supra-state doesn't want that; can't see how the repugnant views of those involved really inform that process?
Pretty clear cut that all I said was that we need to talk about Maros Sefcovic .

Interesting observation:
They might live in claustrophobic neighbourhoods made worse by the intrusive and violent world of Snapchat, but these kids aren’t stupid, and what is happening in the political world is not lost on them. Tony, who runs the local community centre, described by Thapar as a “tiny island amid a sea storm”, says he believes that the nationalism and xenophobia around Brexit, and scandals such as Windrush and Grenfell, make young people in areas such as Brixton “feel like they don’t belong … it sends the message: you are not wanted”.

Australian wine is actually really good, the stuff you get there I mean, not the shite that fills UK supermarket shelves, but it doesn't travel well, so I can't see the good stuff becoming much more prevalent, cost will be quite high anyway cos of Aussie taxes and shipping

Australian wine is actually really good, the stuff you get there I mean, not the shite that fills UK supermarket shelves, but it doesn't travel well, so I can't see the good stuff becoming much more prevalent, cost will be quite high anyway cos of Aussie taxes and shipping
Costs will be lower as no tariffs.

Mind you the shite that fills UK supermarket shelves is bloody nice, never had a bad bottle. Just recently McGuigan Black Label which is lovely.

Back
Top Bottom