Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

Whatever size the sacks are, the % weight of a bottle per 75cl of wine won't change. You can undoubtedly save a lot of carbon by shipping without bottles, but you can't possibly offset the additional carbon involved in shipping the wine twenty times the distance. Have a sit down with a paper and pencil, and you'll see what I mean.
Again, how can any rational person be applauding the increased pollution and fossil fuel consumption that this shitty deal with Australia introduces?

At a time when we're rightly being encouraged to grow/shop/consume locally, pursuing deals that will result in far more goods being transported half way across the world is sheer madness and stupidity.

Not all of us want economies of scale, kabbes , you nefarious social climber and harbinger of automation
Well indeed, I’m with you — it’s why I tend to buy local produce where available (wine and otherwise). I’m just saying that English wine is never going to be a product for mass consumption, not because of quality but because it will never represent what, in the parlance of our times, I might call “the value proposition”.

Again, how can any rational person be applauding the increased pollution and fossil fuel consumption that this shitty deal with Australia introduces?

At a time when we're rightly being encouraged to grow/shop/consume locally, pursuing deals that will result in far more goods being transported half way across the world is sheer madness and stupidity.
The same logic also applies to choosing Italian and Spanish food over English versions, you know. (And generally providing services over borders — food and drink is not unique in this regard).

And the counter argument is that by the time you have factored in every element of the production cost in energy terms, it might actually be more efficient to ship it longer distances if that is countered by reduced factors of production.

Did any of you remainer types boycott Aussie wine before brexit?

French wine can go and duck off bar Chablis.
Think new world wine is going to be one of the big winners on Brexit. Saw Oz Clarke on telly a few years back (can't find it on youtube) about how back in the day the Aussies asked him what he was looking for in a wine and literally when off a made it which he found very different to the way EUropean wine makers carry on.

Think new world wine is going to be one of the big winners on Brexit. Saw Oz Clarke on telly a few years back (can't find it on youtube) about how back in the day the Aussies asked him what he was looking for in a wine and literally when off a made it which he found very different to the way EUropean wine makers carry on.
We have so much choice now. Plus we don’t have to tariff US wine anymore over the EU and Boeing etc.

We should still put 200 percent on Harleys though.

Did any of you remainer types boycott Aussie wine before brexit?
Way to miss the point. Brexit aims to replace large amounts of trade with our nearest, rail connected neighbours and replace them with goods ferried half way across the world. Do you think that's a good thing or not?

The same logic also applies to choosing Italian and Spanish food over English versions, you know. (And generally providing services over borders — food and drink is not unique in this regard).
Except the environmental costs of transporting goods across Europe to the UK are absolutely tiny compared to shipping/flying in goods from Australia.

And the counter argument is that by the time you have factored in every element of the production cost in energy terms, it might actually be more efficient to ship it longer distances if that is countered by reduced factors of production.

Could I see your workings that conclude that it's more 'efficient' to being in regular foods from Australia than, say, France or Spain?

Way to miss the point. Brexit aims to replace large amounts of trade with our nearest, rail connected neighbours and replace them with goods ferried half way across the world. Do you think that's a good thing or not?
Yawn. So were you a drinker of Aussie wine? I will comfortably assume so given your politician style refusal to answer.

Except we got loads off ships coming in from the pacific anyway and sending them back empty (now waste export activities have been frowned on) is pretty environmentally impactful, then you've got economies of scale impacts (swings and roundabouts there too).

The folly is doing all this so quickly

Except we got loads off ships coming in from the pacific anyway and sending them back empty (now waste export activities have been frowned on) is pretty environmentally impactful, then you've got economies of scale impacts (swings and roundabouts there too).

The folly is doing all this so quickly
And that's your argument?

Could I see your workings that conclude that it's more 'efficient' to being in regular foods from Australia than, say, France or Spain?
Well, one way or other, it’s cheaper. So either it’s more efficient or there are some externalities falling disproportionately on one side.

Yawn. So were you a drinker of Aussie wine? I will comfortably assume so given your politician style refusal to answer.

I don't think I've ever, ever drunk Aussie wine in my entire life, so what you thought was a Paxmanesque killer blow was in fact empty floundering.

I do drink Fosters lager though. I ignore the haters and the snobs.

English wine, Albury Vineyard is the same hill as Denbies, however as Albury's slopes face SSW and Denbies' E, Albury wines are far superior, especially their sparking wines which are finer than anything I have encountered anywhere else in the world.
That's more like it; proper Brexiteer talk. Enough of that Aussie swill; I'm backing Britain.
Brucie would be proud.

I see. So environmental efficiency of production, volume able to be transported at once, mode of transportation and loading efficiencies are all irrelevant to the calculation? All that matters is distance? It’s better to transport ten loads of one item for one mile than one load of ten items for five miles, for example?

I don't think I've ever, ever drunk Aussie wine in my entire life, so what you thought was a Paxmanesque killer blow was in fact empty floundering.

I do drink Fosters lager though. I ignore the haters and the snobs.
Used to like Fosters when the cans were imported but the stuff brewed in the U.K. is tepid I’m afraid .

I see. So environmental efficiency of production, volume able to be transported at once, mode of transportation and loading efficiencies are all irrelevant to the calculation? All that matters is distance? It’s better to transport ten loads of one item for one mile than one load of ten items for five miles, for example?
Distance clearly plays a huge factor, especially if the goods are being transported by air, and when there are no rail/overland alternatives available.

Back
Top Bottom