Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

what? over my head that one...

The 'Waltzing Matilda' of the song refers to the Jolly Swagman's swag, which is his rolled up bedding, slung over his shoulder and swaying as he walks. Therefore he is said to be 'waltzing' his 'Matilda' :)

aha! very good.

It's great. Richie Benaud & Tony Greig impersonations, daft jingles and some very knowledgeable cricket chat. I love it. Also, no cliches

The 'Waltzing Matilda' of the song refers to the Jolly Swagman's swag, which is his rolled up bedding, slung over his shoulder and swaying as he walks. Therefore he is said to be 'waltzing' his 'Matilda' :)
Ah right, thanks for the knowledge :)

Cook is a class act ,when he reaches a mile stone like 150 he gets his head down to reach the next mile stone.a lot of batsman tend to lose concentration

Cook is a class act ,when he reaches a mile stone like 150 he gets his head down to reach the next mile stone.a lot of batsman tend to lose concentration
immense isn't it? He's had a lot of luck in this series, but earnt it.

(I do think it's important that people realise that he's probably not going to have a series like this ever again. I think Vaughan's great series down under had a pretty negative effect on his batting long term...)

Even if he doesn't, with 5000 Test runs at the age of 26 he is easily on course to pass 10,000 Test runs in his career, something no Englishman has ever done

(I do think it's important that people realise that he's probably not going to have a series like this ever again. I think Vaughan's great series down under had a pretty negative effect on his batting long term...)
That's really not important.

Cook, Trott, Bell & KP all currently averaging over 60 for the series.

And I really don't think Cook's had that much luck, other than having to face this dreadful bowling attack

Cook, Trott, Bell & KP all currently averaging over 60 for the series.

And I really don't think Cook's had that much luck, other than having to face this dreadful bowling attack

can't remember that happening to an england touring side, ever!

Actually, to take this up further - after Vaughan's 2002/3 series, he went on to score huge runs against India the following summer. What stuffed him was becoming captain during the South Africa series and then his recurring injuries. I'm not sure it's fair to say he somehow declined because of that great series he had

Actually, to take this up further - after Vaughan's 2002/3 series, he went on to score huge runs against India the following summer. What stuffed him was becoming captain during the South Africa series and then his recurring injuries. I'm not sure it's fair to say he somehow declined because of that great series he had

perhaps you're right. I just seem to remember that after that series, expectation rose, and people looked to him as the talisman, don't think he ever had another series like it...

perhaps you're right. I just seem to remember that after that series, expectation rose, and people looked to him as the talisman, don't think he ever had another series like it...

He didn't really, and he never made the double ton he should have, got out in the 180s and 190s all the time. But the reasons were more to do with pressure of captaincy and injury than anything else

Apologies for the deluge of Ally Cook related stats but his series really has been remarkable. He's still a couple of hours off Mark Taylor's all time record for length of time batted in a series (1989 Ashes) but Taylor had 11 innings on that tour. Cook is currently only batting for the seventh time in Tests on this tour.

Back
Top Bottom