Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

btw, Jimmeh has 21 wickets in the series, which means that unless Siddle takes a truckload soon, an Englishman will top the series wickets table for the first time since 1985

two let offs. Not pressing home the advantages when they were 180-8 and KP giving them his wicket in the last few overs. 170-3 is a couple of wickets away from 220 all out, 170-2 would have had us in the driving seat. In the balance, first two sessions tomorrow are crucial.

Has he said 'crrrRRRRRRicket' yet?
shurely "crrRRRReeEEEG-it"?

Not bad from England, but it could have been so much better. We really let them off the hook at 180-8, for all that Johnson's a better bat than his figures over the past year or so suggest.
And KP and Trott can hang their heads - they just threw their wickets away.
I still can't see the Aussies winning the test, tho, and there's nowt to prevent Cooky getting another ton here, given that the bloke's on fire and he has 3 decent batting partners left

I like Simon Hughes' day-by-day match analysis in The Times and today he's got an interesting graphic comparison of Anderson's current bowling with what McGrath used to do at Sydney.

Crucial wicket of Hussey taken by Collingwood, I notice.

shurely "crrRRRReeEEEG-it"?

Not bad from England, but it could have been so much better. We really let them off the hook at 180-8, for all that Johnson's a better bat than his figures over the past year or so suggest.
And KP and Trott can hang their heads - they just threw their wickets away.
I still can't see the Aussies winning the test, tho, and there's nowt to prevent Cooky getting another ton here, given that the bloke's on fire and he has 3 decent batting partners left

The only way we can win is to get a total of 400+ and then come at them hard with the ball. Anything less than 400 and it's looking like a draw. Less than 300 and we risk having to chase a total on a deteriorating wicket.

Don't agree with any of that.

England can win whatever happens in the rest of their first innings. If Aus get any kind of a lead, they're favourites but by no means certs for victory. If England get a small lead, it's 50:50. If England get over 400, they're strong favourites.

However many England get, a draw is very unlikely unless they lose a lot of time to the weather.

given our batting performances in Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne, I really don't see why that should be that big an 'ask'

I agree that it's doable. I really hope we do it. Bat until the pitch breaks up, then skittle them only having to knock a few balls round the park for an hour to claim victory. This will require Cook getting another daddy hundred, and one other. Collingwood's swan song?

An average bowler can bowl successfully to a great batsmen on a pitch that fires off shooters and grubbers.

I agree that it's doable. I really hope we do it. Bat until the pitch breaks up, then skittle them only having to knock a few balls round the park for an hour to claim victory. This will require Cook getting another daddy hundred, and one other. Collingwood's swan song?
the form book suggests 400 is eminently achievable for England, and we deffo don't need another daddy hundred from cook (though if anyone will, he will) - just another ton from him, and a big innings (or two) from the 3 batsmen left, none of which is difficult to imagine. bell and prior have both looked good at the crease, and colly's duff run will end.
And as BA has implied, the form book's with our bowling. The aussies have - astonishingly - got above 350 once in 9 1/2 attempts (i really can't count their second brisbane innings), and they've 3 test rookies in the order. I just can't see them turning into superman for innings 2, so even if England get a moxdest (300+ total), I'd back them.
If cookie makes hay tomorrow morning, massively so.

An average bowler can bowl successfully to a great batsmen on a pitch that fires off shooters and grubbers.

A great bowler can have them out for so little that it doesn't matter - a couple - even more chance.

£48 not including tip - hope you enjoyed your meal.

Is it doing that that much tho'? To me, just about all the wickets were moments of suicidally stupid batting (yes, that means you, Pietersen, but also Haddin and Hussey) or simply good, disciplined line + lenggth by england's bowlers

The pitch is fine at the moment, but historically, Sydney pitches have deteriorated quickly and severely.

The next session will be crucial [/cliché]

Back
Top Bottom