Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

I'm about the same age as lbj and I remember at school that the Windies were the big one. As well as the glamour of their bowlers, I wonder if it was also because Australia were so out of sight at that time that the Ashes were a bit of a pointless procession that we'd rather ignore.

You're a bit younger than me, I think. When I first started following cricket, the Packer circus was just coming to an end, the era of Lillee and Thomson was nearly over and Australia weren't really very good.

I'm about the same age as lbj and I remember at school that the Windies were the big one. As well as the glamour of their bowlers, I wonder if it was also because Australia were so out of sight at that time that the Ashes were a bit of a pointless procession that we'd rather ignore.

Probably more to do with the success and fame of the West Indian team, combined with a large domestic WI supporter base. Australia only became big again in the UK with the increase in Aussie soaps and the increase in Australians working here - late 80's?

You're a bit younger than me, I think. When I first started following cricket, the Packer circus was just coming to an end, the era of Lillee and Thomson was nearly over and Australia weren't really very good.

Fair enough.

I remember that when we used to play cricket with a tennis ball in the playground, we would shout "Ambrose" and high-ten each other when we bowled somebody out.

On my birthday, when I am feeling death's cold finger beckoning me forward, it's good to hear that :D

When I was ten I wanted to be Michael Holding, but I'd have setting for being Bob Willis.

'Come on Bob!' was the cry from my childhood, every time he started that long, straight, awkward run-up.

my first recollection of test match cricket was when Basil D'olivera was captain of the poms.I thought it strange that a sth african could captain England:D,my,how times haven't changed:p

my first recollection of test match cricket was when Basil D'olivera was captain of the poms.I thought it strange that a sth african could captain England:D,my,how times haven't changed:p
Dolly captained england?
You do know, btw, dolly's circs were quite unusual and rather different to those of KP, Trott, Greig etc?

You do realise that Andrew Strauss has two English parents and has lived in England since he was a baby?

Johnson dropped..
"In the last game I was trying to do all that work [on my action] during a game, which is obviously very hard to do," he said. "In the end, I need to work things out, go to net sessions, get back in the gym, get my head straight, and get back into the team."
That's a pity. Makes you wonder why he was picked in the first place if his heads in such a mess.

my first cricket memory was Robin Smith being the sole resistance against the Windies in 1991... was probably my first sporting hero...

Did Kepler Wessels ever captain the aussies? Can't be bothered to look it up.

listening to five live this morning, as a neutral, as a cricket fan, it was fucking hilarious listening to the triumphalism of english players, commentators and of course the barmy army...

they got a draw!!! when they were hot favourites against a team totally out of sorts!! WOOHOO!!

listening to five live this morning, as a neutral, as a cricket fan, it was fucking hilarious listening to the triumphalism of english players, commentators and of course the barmy army...

they got a draw!!! when they were hot favourites against a team totally out of sorts!! WOOHOO!!

They finished 517 for 1, after making 260 in their first innings. Some turnaround.

Not sure who made them 'hot favourites' either.

The british media did for one. As did I.. :)

They're clearly a better side on paper. A draw should be a disappointment.

Just to clear the South African thing up, Strauss and Prior are no more South African than Andrew Symonds is a Brummie.

Trott and Pietersen, however, are thoroughly South African.

Oh come on gabi - only a team with Warne and Murali in their prime could have got a result in 5 days on that wicket. They were happy because they got out of what seemed like a grim situation, and ended the match on a high, while the Aussies had 2 grim days of frustration. Drawn Test matches are all about winning the mind game, especially at the start of a series. It's important that we feel like we won, and that they feel like they didn't.

I don't really agree. The whole course of a Test match can be changed by one moment. To me, that moment was Hussey surviving Anderson's appeal when caught plumb in front, having just overturned a previous decision. Anderson could have run through the Aussies very quickly had that decision gone England's way, and the teams would have been about level after the first innings with over half the match left.

As an england fan I'm also somewhat surprised by the media / fan reaction, if I didnt know the score I'd assume Engalnd had won by an innings. The cascade of shit heaped on the aussies (by their own fans / media) also seems bizarre.

Some cold facts here, Australia dominated for 3.5 days and were the only team who could have won the match after the first day. It was a very very very flat pitch (Which England were still rolled over on in the 1st innings), which got flatter, as evidenced by Ponting taking apart Finn and Swann in the final session. Doherty (or whatever hes called) returned better figures then Swann.

In short, England got out of jail due to some very good batting and a pitch which wouldnt have looked out of place in Sri Lanka. The teams were very evenly matched before the test and they were during it, I really don't understand all the triumphilism from England and despair from the aussie media.

0-0 all to play for.

Ok 3 days. Everyone knows that the aussies should have won that match from the position they were in. Yes, what if Anderson had of got that lbw? Its a what if, like if the aussies had held their catches in the second innings or Trott had not scored 30 runs off the edge to third man. Engalnd had wasted their reviews so its as bad as dropping a sitter, like Clarke, well maybe not that bad.

An escape does not make a triumphant victory. All to play for.

Back
Top Bottom