Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

thats a terrible score imo, although as Boycott said on the radio, we won't actually know until they bat.

but my Aussie in laws are cock a hoop at having 250 odd to chase.

260 seems at least 100 light - but we'll have to see. Hopefully our bowlers will bowl to plan and with discipline. I don't want to wake up tomorrow morning and see 340-3 or some such.

i'm going abroad tonight for the weekend, i don't fancy my chances of getting many cricket updates in Germany.

guess i'm going to have to take it on the chin and whack my 'roaming data' on every morning for a bit and catch up.

apparently its the best start england's made on a first day in australia. which is quite telling in itself.

well yeh, i heard them saying that on 5live this morning, they didnt elaborate. maybe most runs scored.

Win the toss and bat on a decent wicket, and only score 260, particularly after getting through a tricky morning session with just 2 down. That's a terrible day.

I agree with Idaho – at least 100 light. I can see Australia making 400. It's a good wicket. It's spinning, so maybe Swann can do some damage. Maybe. But England collapsed to the old ball. That's not a good sign – surely you've got to prosper against the old ball in Aus.

pretty poor. On the bright side, Bell, Pietersen and Cook - the three who worried me most - look to be getting some good form back

I agree with Idaho – at least 100 light. I can see Australia making 400. It's a good wicket. It's spinning, so maybe Swann can do some damage. Maybe. But England collapsed to the old ball. That's not a good sign – surely you've got to prosper against the old ball in Aus.

The Kookabura does reverse more readily when old, and Broad can be very effective in such circumstances. I'm not despairing yet. There's all to play for :)

There is, yes. But Australia won day 1. If they win day 2 as well, England are out of it.

*cliche alert* The next session is key. *cliche alert*

Oh stop being dramatic. It's a 5 day game, and a 5 game series. Do what we hope the team does, dig in and play for the long haul.

Not being dramatic, I don't think. Aus won day 1. More specifically, they won session 3. If they win day 2 too, they will be very short odds on winning the match. TBH 260 against those bowlers on that wicket is really, really disappointing.

I'm not sure where your faith in Broad the super-reverser comes from.

It's spinning, so maybe Swann can do some damage. Maybe. But England collapsed to the old ball. That's not a good sign – surely you've got to prosper against the old ball in Aus.

A major reason we won the Ashes in 2005 was reverse swing. Remember who trained our bowlers so well at this old ball skill? And in recent times he's been back in Oz preparing his native team.

True, but Aussie conditions and the Kookie ball aren't as conducive to reverse swing as the Duke in England. I only saw the first session last night. Was Siddle reversing it appreciably later on?

heads up here about http://www.testmatchsofa.com/ which is far far superior to test match special. it's basically a bunch of cricket journalists commentating on the sky coverage, swearing and slagging off australia at every opportunity. really good fun, and great to have on over the top of the sky coverage (though there's a 10 second delay)

peter siddle's birthday present,you have to hand it to the lad.Broken down last year,got better,trained the fuck out of himself,lost 6-7 kilo,came back like a freight train,crushed Broads toe for a hatrick.Darren Gough took the last ashes hatrick in 1999 as it happens.

I remember Gough's hat trick really well, i woke up the whole house with my shouting when he got the third one one and i was in a bit of trouble the next day.

England will win in 4 days. You heard it here first.

Early morning rain will suit jimmy nicely btw. It'll burn off by kickoff. Sweaty.

Back
Top Bottom