Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

that morning session had to be one of the most demoralising sights ever for an aussie. putting on 150 for the final three wickets was simply delicious.

Apparently helpful things that never actually work in cricket:

1) Enforcing a follow-on
2) Second-inning declarations
3) Asking for an extra half-hour

And personally, I'd add night watchmen to the list n'all.

Ah well, it looked like it'd be over a day early for a little while, but then the wickets dried up in the final, additional half hour. For some reason I woke up even earlier than usual, found myself sneaking out to listen to TMS on the sofa and it seemed like my sleepless destiny to hear the end of the ashes. It was not to be.
:(

Still it's hardly a bad thing expecting Aus to crash to another innings defeat early. And it gives us an extra day of gloating headlines and Aussies bemoaning their fall from competency.

Nice one England, made my last night in Melbourne all the sweeter, just raised a cold one to Collingwood as well.

Good work boys.

Great day. If anyone has a day off work then following Saf v India would be a good shout - India chasing 340 to win, Saf need 10 wickets. Starts at 8am

I'm watching this at the moment. The pitch is very much a last day pitch and Steyn and Morkal are steaming in with the new ball, India chasing down 342 looks unlikely to say the least.

apparently they did tests to see which player had the least sweaty hands, so they could designate them as the ball shiner and keep the ball in the best possible condition

This must be true, because there was some stuff about Cook not sweating even after batting all day in the Brisbane sun. Trott was gulping down bottles of istonic drink and Cook just sipped at an eggcup of water once every two hours.

I'm watching this at the moment. The pitch is very much a last day pitch and Steyn and Morkal are steaming in with the new ball, India chasing down 342 looks unlikely to say the least.

This final day of the SA v India series is turning out to be a real damp squib. India have played for the draw from the start of the day and SA can't get a wicket. Harris is complete shit, Singh got 7 wickets on this pitch yesterday, Harris can't move it off straight.

Bollocks. Bell took an age to refer it. He knew he'd hit it, he knew it was a very faint nick, he hoped he'd be able to fool them. Shit way to go about things, every bit as shit as claiming a catch when you know it's bounced in my book.
I'd say it's more he wasn 't absolutely sure either way, thought about it long and hard, fin ally deciding to submit it to the higher authority of technology. which, after all, is exactly what the new set-up is designed for.

This must be true, because there was some stuff about Cook not sweating even after batting all day in the Brisbane sun. Trott was gulping down bottles of istonic drink and Cook just sipped at an eggcup of water once every two hours.
oh bloody hell, the bugger scores squillions of runs every innings and he doesn't even have the grace to sweat!:eek::D

This final day of the SA v India series is turning out to be a real damp squib. India have played for the draw from the start of the day and SA can't get a wicket. Harris is complete shit, Singh got 7 wickets on this pitch yesterday, Harris can't move it off straight.

Tbf Indias chances would be slim on a decent wicket and shit bowling attack, no wonder they parked the bus. Shame though, yesterday was a great day to watch.

I didn't predict the last two games being so one sided. I thought the series was going to be close with us nicking it, but 3 innings victories? (touchwood)

Gambhir's gone. There's still time for SA. But yes, Harris's limitations are exposed on a day like today. The lack of a good spinner is their only flaw.

I was hoping to get a leeeetle bit of something other than back-slapping self-congratulation going with this post :(
Apparently helpful things that never actually work in cricket:

1) Enforcing a follow-on
2) Second-inning declarations
3) Asking for an extra half-hour

And personally, I'd add night watchmen to the list n'all.

I was hoping to get a leeeetle bit of something other than back-slapping self-congratulation going with this post :(

Second-innings declarations often actually work. And I think I'm right in saying that only twice has a team enforced the follow-on and been beaten (Aus both times, against England 81, and India a few years ago in Laxman's test).

Asking for an extra half hour with three wickets still to get was a little optimistic tbh, but why not?

It's not just about being beaten. How often does a team enforce the follow-on and win? Because if you're 200 ahead from the first innings then you really should win. Too often I see a team come back out to bat with (a) steely determination; and (b) a fielding team knackered from already having spent a day in the field, with the result that the batting team go on to save the match.

The extra half-hour also just seems too often to result in batsman racking up another 30 runs without loss. Just go and get a good night's sleep and then get back out there in the morning and skittle them over. If you think you can do it in 30 mins then you can definitely do it in 6 hours.

Obviously if it is day 5, that doesn't apply.

Well the follow-on isn't enforced nearly as often now as it used to be. Australia are a bit scarred (lol), and other teams often don't enforce it for precisely the reason you give. Depends on lots of factors – time left in the match, the actual lead (just over 200 or well over 200), how tired the bowlers are, etc.

In days gone by, when Sunday was a rest day, bowler fatigue was less of an issue and the follow-on was nearly always enforced.

As it happens, I can't recall any worthwhile second-inning declarations either. I think teams that do it are underestimating the psychological impact of setting a really ENORMOUS score for the opposition to chase.

If you're got 700 then fair enough. But declaring on 550 or 600 just isn't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom