Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

This will probably not move the needle enough with communities they want it to, while causing the CAA and LAAS to get madder than a hive of bees put in a paint shaker.

Love a manifesto where you can't actually say what you are going to do.
How on earth did parties ever manage to have manifestos in the past. :rolleyes: They're just so utterly pointless.

It's a few years since I looked at the figures, but it was shown that without immigration UK population would have decreased in recent decades.
So whilst not the only factor it is certainly a major contributor to housing shortage.

Its easy to pretend that blatantly overblown statements are complete bullshit when they are actually exaggerations of a point fuelled by bias and ignorance, something that all sides of an argument engage in as this forum so clearly illustrates

Tried to come up with a response to this but it's stupid on too many levels for me to pick just one or two to aim at.

So are we yet at a point where there is no chance of Boris Johnson standing anywhere as a Conservative?

Reactions: tim
We'll find out for sure at sometime after 3-4ish pm tomorrow when councils start uploading the Statements of Persons Nominated. I'd be surprised if we see him anywhere near a ballot paper.

It would be very surprising, but it would be the last opportunity for unpredictable change in the Con-Ref dynamic.

I would say you lot should watch Question Time.
I saw it at 8 pm on iPlayer. The BBC balancing unit was on the blip.
No Telegraph journalists around, nor the IEA.
The panel were Carla Denyer Green Liz Saville Roberts Plaid Cymru smoothie chops Harper from the New Forest and Shabana Don't rock the boat Mahmood.
Naturally the audience were much pleased by the Green/Plaid people and highly sceptical of the others.
The programme was from Chester (a marginal Brexit place) - the audience were actually laughing about the benefits of Brexit tonight.

They would have had to have fill in "Conservative Party" on the form and appear on the ballot as such. Getting voters to fill in nomination papers for Party A only to scrub it out and stand for Party B is fraud.
So the only way that there could be any last minute, candidate 'defections' would be if those intending to do had chosen not to use the description part of the nomination forms, getting the nominating registered electors to do so just for them as an individual?

Wonder if any local vermin associations have been duped like that?

It would be very surprising, but it would be the last opportunity for unpredictable change in the Con-Ref dynamic.
I don't know how many forum members have stood for election. I've been a paper candidate and know very well that you must ensure every last letter on your nomination papers are tight, and a good Electoral Services dept will be on top of everything to ensure that too. If any candidate has even attempted it I wager cases will be brought (and electoral crime cases are particularly rare because the police really find them very boring.

So the only way that there could be any last minute, candidate 'defections' would be if those intending to do had chosen not to use the description part of the nomination forms, getting the nominating registered electors to do so just for them as an individual?

There are some very disillusioned local parties out there so it is a slim possibility of some surprises yet to be uncovered.

TBF, you only need 10 people from the constituency to sign your nomination papers so while it's not advisable doing it last minute, it's not completely crazy/impossible either. (Especially if you can trust some of those people to keep it quiet until the deadline.)

TBF, you only need 10 people from the constituency to sign your nomination papers so while it's not advisable doing it last minute, it's not completely crazy/impossible either. (Especially if you can trust some of those people to keep it quiet until the deadline.)
Oh, like running two party nominations simultaneously with completely different sets of electors? Then just ditching the vermin one at the last minute?

Oh, like running two party nominations simultaneously with completely different sets of electors? Then just ditching the vermin one at the last minute?
Aaaah never thought of doing it that way. Yes, that is possible (the £500 deposit is the only hurdle to doing it smoothly but it's not insurmountable

I've never given it any thought not being a two-faced Tory/Reform type so 🤷‍♀️
Seems unlikely; they'd have to be particularly motivated to harm their former party's chances, but it doesn't look like it would amount to electoral fraud, just be able to say to the nominating electors that they'd changed their minds. would be quite a nuclear option, taking the former party out of the running altogether! :D

They would have had to have fill in "Conservative Party" on the form and appear on the ballot as such. Getting voters to fill in nomination papers for Party A only to scrub it out and stand for Party B is fraud.

but suppose if - after friday - they do something that causes their party to disown them, then they would still be on the ballot paper with that party's name, but could become an independent - like the 'not labour any more' candidate at rochdale recently?

Well, enough of the hypotheticals already...at least, after tomorrow, we can look forward to the deluge of shit that opposing parties have got from doxing racist candidates 👍
Except it won’t, it’ll all be Labour candidates saying something benign about Palestinian statehood years ago on Twitter, and probably being doxed by twats in their own party.

Could you not have your Reform party paper all set up and ready to go (alongside the required sigs etc) by lunchtime tomorrow, with your local Tory party none the wiser. Then tomorrow afternoon submit the reform papers and tell your local Tory party not to bother (or don't sign it or whatever it's in your power to do?)

That's not a hypothetical question btw. From what people othis thread were saying earlier that would be too much of a faff?

Plus presumably local Tory parties could/would have already submitted the papers in a lot of cases?

Could you not have your Reform party paper all set up and ready to go (alongside the required sigs etc) by lunchtime tomorrow, with your local Tory party none the wiser. Then tomorrow afternoon submit the reform papers and tell your local Tory party not to bother (or don't sign it or whatever it's in your power to do?)

That's not a hypothetical question btw. From what people othis thread were saying earlier that would be too much of a faff?

Plus presumably local Tory parties could/would have already submitted the papers in a lot of cases?
That's entirely possible. Thin, slim, out-there, but feasible. The only hurdle is the £500 deposit though that doesn't build a wall you couldn't jump over.

Except it won’t, it’ll all be Labour candidates saying something benign about Palestinian statehood years ago on Twitter, and probably being doxed by twats in their own party.
Not after tomorrow, I don’t think.

Back
Top Bottom