Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

'Of the £21.5m in cash received by the (Labour) party in 2023, just £5.9m came from the trade union movement, compared with £14.5m from companies and individuals' Open Democarcy 2024.

Which makes you wonder exactly what 'Influence in the corridors of power' the trade unions who still contribute to the Labour Party get. In fact can anyone tell me what that buys?
Not a lot but it's still more than none

Much if not most of the British public are conservative with a small C, they're not turning against the Tories because they fundamentally disagree with their policies, they're turning against them because they are incompetent poltroons.
I’d add a lot more colour to that crude black-and-white outline. Even crudely, you should note that the “British public”* are broadly economically conservative but socially liberal. The reason the Tories are so unpopular is not really incompetence — people have always seen politicians as incompetent — but because their hard-right social policy-making is actually extremely unpopular outside of the 10-15% of the country that are head-bangers. The old-school Tories I know (a lot of them) absolutely hate things like the Rwanda policy and the refusal to allow foreign workers to bring their families over. It deeply goes against their welfare capitalist “noblesse oblige” ethos.

*Itself, a contested and heterogeneous notion

This may be dated but I thought unions often provided both staff for campaigns and jobs for staffers.

So during an election unions will deploy people to assist in local or national campaigns.

Then out of election they'll give easy roles to party staff, so latter have incomes.

Or they'll be very sympathetic employers to elected staff who need time off. I think one of my Labour councillors works at a union and he seems to have a lot of freedom to do stuff during the working day.

Reform aren't a party though, they are a business. For tax purposes, presumably

I don't understand why people are hung up on the fact they have a registered limited company, so does the Tories, but they are also registered as a political party with the Electoral Commission, which is what matters.

When they first set up there was no way to become a member, just register as a supporter, at some point that changed and they do invite people to join as members now.

So, yes, they are a political party.

I don't understand why people are hung up on the fact they have a registered limited company, so does the Tories, but they are also registered as a political party with the Electoral Commission, which is what matters.

When they first set up there was no way to become a member, just register as a supporter, at some point that changed and they do invite people to join as members now.

So, yes, they are a political party.
No, it’s just a company. The tories (& the rest of them, even the WPB) are companies of some kind. They have to be to employ people. However the tories company is controlled by the relevantly elected representatives, they are not acting as individuals. They must follow the policies and decisions of the Conservative Party.

Reform is just a private company, owned by Farage. He gets to decide everything. It’s a political vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom