Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

By the by, what's the hostility towards Sweeney all about? I've cast my mind back and even looked at his wiki page, but nothing comes to mind other than some solid journalism. Genuine (and probably naive) Q, as they say.
Solid journalism: hardly eg
1) during the iraq war run up he spun outrageous MI6 lies: the best was that taxi drivers were paid to bring bodies of dead children to Baghdad to falsely claim they were killed in allied airstrikes
2) another one you wont find on his digital cesspit (Wikicult) page: he tried to do a Panorama number onnTommy Robinson. This included trying to get the delectable Lucy Brown pissed. Sadly for him, she recorded his drunken boasts, including hatred for the working class, so when he went to confront TR the footagecwas shown back to him and he was poleaxed. Needless to say, the programme never aired and Sweeney was ‘let go’. I laughed so much I nearly cried….

Solid journalism: hardly eg
1) during the iraq war run up he spun outrageous MI6 lies: the best was that taxi drivers were paid to bring bodies of dead children to Baghdad to falsely claim they were killed in allied airstrikes
2) another one you wont find on his digital cesspit (Wikicult) page: he tried to do a Panorama number onnTommy Robinson. This included trying to get the delectable Lucy Brown pissed. Sadly for him, she recorded his drunken boasts, including hatred for the working class, so when he went to confront TR the footagecwas shown back to him and he was poleaxed. Needless to say, the programme never aired and Sweeney was ‘let go’. I laughed so much I nearly cried….
Thanks.

Is saying Farage is a crook and conman libellous considering the demonstrable lies he’s been peddling? I don’t think either word specifically alleges criminality, just dishonesty

To call him a crook and conman, then go on to make a false claim that “Reform UK, is another smokescreen. Set up to take money off people without offering them membership like any other established political party", is clearly libellous.

* I had to check wikipedia, when the Brexit Party was rebranded as Reform UK in 2021, they changed the model to offer proper membership, in line with other political parties.

The SNP's Alyn Smith got into a bit of bother over similiar claims about the Brexit Party back in 2019.

SNP MEP Alyn Smith has issued an "unreserved" apology over his allegation that the Brexit Party is a "money laundering front".

Brexit Party chairman Richard Tice threatened to sue Mr Smith over the claim, which he made in a TV interview.

Mr Smith has now admitted he did not have any evidence to support his claim.

He has agreed to pay a "significant" contribution to Mr Tice's legal costs, and will also make a donation to the Help for Heroes charity.

Rees-Mogg losing his seat still sounds too good to be true. I mean I want to believe but can it actually happen? I hope Reform with Farage will at least galvanize the swing Tory vote against him.

To call him a crook and conman, then go on to make a false claim that “Reform UK, is another smokescreen. Set up to take money off people without offering them membership like any other established political party", is clearly libellous.

* I had to check wikipedia, when the Brexit Party was rebranded as Reform UK in 2021, they changed the model to offer proper membership, in line with other political parties.

The SNP's Alyn Smith got into a bit of bother over similiar claims about the Brexit Party back in 2019.

TBF the membership point is almost certainly not libellous - it is true that you can now sign up as a member, but there is no guarantee that you would (as you would for any other established political party) be able to vote for the leader, or select a PPC within a constituency party, or indeed do anything beyond what "supporters" used to do for the old Brexit Party. Given they've just selected a load of PPCs and switched the leader with no membership involvement, and given they are still a company that is owned by Farage and others, I would imagine what the Greens have said here is not actionable.

Smyth got into trouble for saying it was a money laundering organization, which couldn't be stood up. On similar lines the "crook and conman" might be something he could go after them for, but even then there is the fact that he was going around a couple of years ago trying to get people to buy a several-hundred pounds a year subscription to a financial advice newsletter; it perhaps could be argued as fair comment within the heat of an electoral campaign.

A pity they weren't brave enough to say WHY they voted Tory before..
Was it one or more of several words beginning with B ?
The concept of "floating voter" is beyond me...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom