Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

This is very "West Wing" but: Farage wins, then becomes leader of a battered and demoralised Tory rump, turning them forever into a Reform party, constantly right and far-right, as part of the global turn to the Right we've seen.

I'm starting to believe that if everyone keeps talking about a historic Con collapse people start believing it and then start defecting all over.

think this will defeinitely help refuk keep some of the current polling levels. Despite the damage it does to the tories - i dont think its remotely a good thing to have the shitty bigotry of the likes of farage polluting political discourse. Its dragging the tories with them - and encouraging labour to keep travelling right to hoover up the more socially-liberal tory vote.

This election is perhaps the most depressing of my lifetime.

The prospect of a historic collapse of the Tories is not enough to make a landslide victory for a nuke-happy, anti-immigrant, austerity pushing, flag-shagging, witch-hunting Labour Party anything other than terrifying.

That they're being aided in this by a far right vote of 10-15% doesn't make it any better.

...and as for the public discourse? Vacuous centrist banalities are wheeled out to counter openly fascistic rhetoric by the bubble dwelling thick as shit self-appointed talking heads.

Fuck me. Portillo moments my arse.

The prospect of a historic collapse of the Tories is not enough to make a landslide victory for a nuke-happy, anti-immigrant, austerity pushing, flag-shagging, witch-hunting Labour Party anything other than terrifying.

That they're being aided in this by a far right vote of 10-15% doesn't make it any better.
Yeah I feel the same.
A Labour Party more to the right than New Labour, and with less room to kick the can down the road, on track to gain a big majority. And possibly the best ever showing for a hard right party in Westminster elections.

Last edited:
just found out my ex-partner's daughter is standing as the green candidate in Clacton. I will make sure she passes on everyone on urbans best wishes to fuckface

Could you leak some photos of her hunting polar bears or something so that the Greens are forced to disown her and the votes go to a candidate better placed to stop Farage?

think this will defeinitely help refuk keep some of the current polling levels. Despite the damage it does to the tories - i dont think its remotely a good thing to have the shitty bigotry of the likes of farage polluting political discourse. Its dragging the tories with them - and encouraging labour to keep travelling right to hoover up the more socially-liberal tory vote.
Yeah, aside from anything else, the media are too willing to not only give him a platform, but let him frame the debate and terms.

And who the fuck is there to vocalise the left alternative? Hell, even just something vaguely left, rather than simply "not quite as to the right".

...and as for the public discourse? Vacuous centrist banalities are wheeled out to counter openly fascistic rhetoric by the bubble dwelling thick as shit self-appointed talking heads.

Also, this.

Have that annoying genetic trait of always believing that hope remains, however slim, but the road to something better is looking longer and bleaker by the day.

Yeah, aside from anything else, the media are too willing to not only give him a platform, but let him frame the debate and terms.

Reform is polling in third position, well ahead of the likes of the LDs and Greens, of course that's going to get them media coverage.

And who the fuck is there to vocalise the left alternative? Hell, even just something vaguely left, rather than simply "not quite as to the right".

That's a good question, why the fuck can't the 'hard left' actually get their act together to produce a party that is polling as well as Reform?

Sorry, this has taken a baffling turn.
Straight up, I admit I know nothing about party funding.
But I don't know if you're joking.
😲

Political parties are expensive and they are all being paid for by very well off people

Who funds the Reform UK Party?

Not aware of anyone whose thought “we should fund the left who want to make me pay more tax or dismantle my business empire”

There’s a bunch of stuff stopping any counter party to Labour, from the shit nature of how voting works here to a hostile media landscape (funded by you guessed it rich people) and money is a big part of that.

Political parties are expensive and they are all being paid for by very well off people

Not aware of anyone whose thought “we should fund the left who want to make me pay more tax or dismantle my business empire”

There’s a bunch of stuff stopping any counter party to Labour, from the shit nature of how voting works here to a hostile media landscape (funded by you guessed it rich people) and money is a big part of that.

yes, and similarly there's some rich twat bankrolling that massive twat laurence fox and his joke of a far right party.

in theory, if the unions get pissed off enough, they can disaffiliate from labour, but i can't help wondering if the labour right would be glad to be rid of the unions and go after more corporate / rich funders.

:oops: Fair comment. I thought union dues accounted for more than they do.

Political funding is shit isn't it. Should there be better limits or even some state funding (assuming naively the latter wouldn't/couldn't be finagled)?

I'm afraid so. Every single fucking depressing bit of that. Worst Tory moment of the last 100 years, leads to the election of the worst Labour government ever.

Back
Top Bottom