Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

It is cold calling and that is how polls can be skewed when younger people are highly unlikely to pick up unknown numbers, let alone have a landline.
I ignored 2 unknown numbers earlier. Never even thought about the election but i'm wondering now? :hmm:

My recollection from old LP days is that the phone numbers held by the CLP on their voter ID sheets were some sort of combo of those from phone books (for those residents foolish enough to allow their numbers to be in the book) and numbers volunteered by punters from previous door knocking. I seem to remember being amazed that folk would voluntarily offer up their numbers to parties, but apparently they had done and in significant numbers.

Didnt help that he said he hated Tunbridge Wells and would move away if he could, on a podcast and receipts were kept.

Basic idiocy really.
I was looking up the story and the Telegraph helpfully lists a load of the Tory MPs standing down this time. What a bunch !

My recollection from old LP days is that the phone numbers held by the CLP on their voter ID sheets were some sort of combo of those from phone books (for those residents foolish enough to allow their numbers to be in the book) and numbers volunteered by punters from previous door knocking. I seem to remember being amazed that folk would voluntarily offer up their numbers to parties, but apparently they had done and in significant numbers.

They have a lot of numbers. Not sure where or how they got them.

Apparently it's all very high tech now too, with a fancy app and such

News this morning said Starmer was going to give a speech about his welfare policies today? Has that happened? They had/have been promising to remove the sanctions regime. Obviously that's highly unlikely.

News this morning said Starmer was going to give a speech about his welfare policies today? Has that happened? They had/have been promising to remove the sanctions regime. Obviously that's highly unlikely.

Not going to happen. Kendall, Reeves, whichever one of them it was has bragged about how a life on benefits will no longer be a possibility under Labour. With no apparent understanding of how fucking sinister that sounds.

The PopCon loons are calling for tax cuts to 'save the party from oblivion', as if that's going to help at this stage,

However, Popular Conservatism, a Right-wing movement launched by ex-Prime Minister Liz Truss and known as PopCons, said big cuts to the likes of stamp duty and inheritance tax should be among the 'core Conservative principles' in the party manifesto.

And, to abolish the Office for Budget Responsibility, which the 'beaten by a lettuce one' blames for wrecking her premiership, when she never even took any advice from them before buggering up the economy, if this nonsense was submitted as a script for 'The Thick of It', it would be rejected for being too unbelievable.

The PopCons released a five-point plan for the manifesto to 'save the Tory Party from oblivion on July 4, while supporting the UK economy and taxpayers and ensuring 'Rishi Sunak's legacy is not one of destroying the most successful political party in history'.

The group – which Truss launched in February to rally the Tory Right – said Sunak should vow to abolish the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), which Truss blames for helping wreck her tax-cutting plans during her short stint in Downing Street, and limit the powers of the Bank of England.

Oh yeah, and here's the other fuckwitted demands.

The group also called for the UK to 'take back control of our borders' by leaving the European Convention on Human Rights, which lawyers have used to block the deportation of migrants; scrap the 2050 Net Zero emissions target; abolish the Equality Act to end 'divisive, woke and anti-capitalist political campaigns'; and reform the civil service to try to stop it blocking Government policy.

Bunch of dangerous bastards. :mad:

Oh yeah, and here's the other fuckwitted demands.

Bunch of dangerous bastards. :mad:
Try this dangerous bunch of bastards - Anders Vistisen and the Identity and Democracy bloc in the European Parliament Election.
Unlike the hysterical buffoon Farage this dood's fascism comes ice cool from Aarhus backed by law degrees.
The European Parliament elections are running 6-9 June. You would never know from the BBC.

Edit - correcting the spelling of Mr Vistisen's name

Try this dangerous bunch of bastards - Anders Vistisen and the Identity and Democracy bloc in the European Parliament Election.
Unlike the hysterical buffoon Farage this dood's fascism comes ice cool from Aarhus backed by law degrees.
The European Parliament elections are running 6-9 June. You would never know from the BBC.

Edit - correcting the spelling of Mr Vistisen's name

Unless you read their article about the parliamentary elections of course European elections 2024: 11 important things to watch for

Nah any such scheme is just going to be Rwanda 2.0, the safe countries where they might actually want to go won't take them and the ones that will happily take them for cash tend to be somewhat dodgy.

Nah any such scheme is just going to be Rwanda 2.0, the safe countries where they might actually want to go won't take them and the ones that will happily take them for cash tend to be somewhat dodgy.
To be fair, I think she's saying that it would/could be third countries for processing, not final destination.

One of the problems has been that unless you lock applicants up, which isn't great, you get leakage. That once people get here and lodge their claim, a proportion just disappear into the black market rather than take the risk that their claim will be rejected and they'd be deported.

I don't think the Dublin Agreement is the same as offshore processing. Isn't it about sharing the responsibility with other countries within the EU. TBF to her, that appears to be what she's suggesting. But of course vague answers, during an election, don't help
The Dublin Agreement was that all claims would be processed in the country they arrived in which means Greece, Italy and Spain end up with them. There have been attempts to come up with a policy of spreading them around based on the population size of member countries but places like Hungary and Poland are just flat out refusing to take any.

Back
Top Bottom