Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

You raise some good points in your first paragraph however on the subject of Greta Thunberg she is an active and vocal campaigner, should her autism therefore get her a free pass from all criticism?
So is Clarkson just a TV presenter who doesn't affect our lives or a political commentator? Make your mind up.

So is Clarkson just a TV presenter who doesn't affect our lives or a political commentator? Make your mind up.
He's a TV presenter, I think he might have delusions that he's a political one but he isn't though there are clearly a few here he has managed to convince.

He's a TV presenter, I think he might have delusions that he's a political one but he isn't though there are clearly a few here he has managed to convince.
He's one of the most prominent political columnists in the country and you've just defended his comments on global politics. But somehow he's not a political commentator. Are you reading what you've posted or are you just some sort of random comment AI?

When Clarkson turned Top Gear into a Daily Mail editorial video clip show, he also did something to the attitudes towards masculinity, conservatism, English-ness. It was a masterstroke, like Farage with UKIP, changing the language of politics without ever being elected.

I don't buy this farmyard softening at all. He's a twat, and a hard-line flag shagging, anti everything twat at that.

When Clarkson turned Top Gear into a Daily Mail editorial video clip show, he also did something to the attitudes towards masculinity, conservatism, English-ness. It was a masterstroke, like Farage with UKIP, changing the language of politics without ever being elected.

I don't buy this farmyard softening at all. He's a twat, and a hard-line flag shagging, anti everything twat at that.
yeah clarkson was always a bigot and a bully on TV and thru his columns. I remember him being a big influence on macho, conservative, anti-immigrant sentiment on ppl around me growing up. think its gross that he's able to launder his reputation through this farm show but thats showbizzzz.

frustration over failure to control immigration
This is depressing. It shows how the media are framing issues. Also notable that it’s immigration in general that’s seen as a “problem” to “tackle”, not just the “small boats”.

This lack of ability to see the world as interconnected, that These Islands are not isolated from climate change, war, financial insecurity. That humans inhabit a planet, not entities invented by bureaucracy. That what happens there will have an impact here, and vice versa. That the story of humanity has been one of migration from long before we were first classified as H. sapiens. That this invented concept, the UK, is actually a long way down the list of net migration rates by country. And that we don’t exist outside the reasons for that data.

This is depressing. It shows how the media are framing issues. Also notable that it’s immigration in general that’s seen as a “problem” to “tackle”, not just the “small boats”.

This lack of ability to see the world as interconnected, that These Islands are not isolated from climate change, war, financial insecurity. That humans inhabit a planet, not entities invented by bureaucracy. That what happens there will have an impact here, and vice versa. That the story of humanity has been one of migration from long before we were first classified as H. sapiens. That this invented concept, the UK, is actually a long way down the list of net migration rates by country. And that we don’t exist outside the reasons for that data.
this is NOT the way to spend your honeymoon ;) x

out of interest BUT WHAT on this occasion?
...some unfinished mumbling about not trusting Starmer to "run the economy".

The salient point is that these are precisely the people that Starmer is betting the farm on.

...but they'll never vote Labour.

The salient point is that these are precisely the people that Starmer is betting the farm on.

...in 2017 and 2019 these type of people were all "stopping the thick Brexiteers is our No 1 priority...so we would vote Labour, but Corbyn".

As others have already pointed out, it's just a refusal to admit to voting selfishly to preserve their privilege.

I hear that, many wont ever vote Lab, but those peel off graphs suggest there will be people who vote tory who will vote lab.....these people exist and walk amongst us.... the mythical swing voter

When I lived in the Taunton area there was always a sea of Tory & LibDem posters, and occasional Labour & Green ones too. When I moved to the Worthing area, fuck all, it was hard to believe there was a general election on, being it was two safe Tory seats.

How things have changed, there's loads of Labour posters up, a few Green ones too, not seen any for the Tories.

Had to collect some things in town, I spotted Sir Peter Bottomley and four young lads, all wearing blue rosettes, chatting to people outside a parade of shops. Drove back into my village and spotted Dr Beccy Cooper, leader of Worthing council and Labour candidate for Bottomley's seat, with a couple of young canvassers on a door knocking mission!

All seemed a bit surreal.

When I lived in the Taunton area there was always a sea of Tory & LibDem posters, and occasional Labour & Green ones too. When I moved to the Worthing area, fuck all, it was hard to believe there was a general election on, being it was two safe Tory seats.

How things have changed, there's loads of Labour posters up, a few Green ones too, not seen any for the Tories.

Had to collect some things in town, I spotted Sir Peter Bottomley and four young lads, all wearing blue rosettes, chatting to people outside a parade of shops. Drove back into my village and spotted Dr Beccy Cooper, leader of Worthing council and Labour candidate for Bottomley's seat, with a couple of young canvassers on a door knocking mission!

In Surrey it's usually all Tory signs but this year, it's all Lib Dems, I haven't seen one tory sign.

Last edited:

Really like that second paragraph nicely said.

FT have a vote profile of Whitby Woman here which at least in part is a factor of Yorkshire Conservatism

Our research (Polling Company) suggests that “Whitby Woman” will play an outsized role in shaping the result when the country goes to the polls this time.

Likely to be around 61, in the past Whitby Woman was a reliable Tory voter. Her instincts are aligned with a Conservative rather than Labour policy platform. But this time, disillusionment with Conservative ministers’ handling of the cost of living, frustration over failure to control immigration and doubts about Rishi Sunak personally have pushed her into the undecided column. Now the Tories need to win her back. Policies targeting these voters have already been aired — the national service plan, pensions “triple lock plus” and scrapping degree courses resonate with Whitby Woman.

What will really make the difference is back up the east coast. If Whitby Woman abstains (as many Conservative voters did in 1997, helping Tony Blair to win big), votes Labour or for Reform UK, the Conservatives will be on course for a defeat as bad as that suffered by John Major at Blair’s hands — potentially even worse.

I was just thinking about how we desperately need some more policies aimed at miserable, racist old people.

The guy spouts transphobic and sexist shit and uses his massive media clout to share those views under the guise of edgy comedy. Those comments affect people that I know and there is a knock on affect as it contributes towards the narriatives that are causing harm to people. I imagine that this is fairly common on Urban and so it is not strange that people have an extreme aversion to anything he's on no matter how good the show apparently is.

Saying he is merely an "annoying plonker" shows that you are fortunate enough to not be in a group that he has decided to target on any given day for a few column views. Remember this is a guy who went all in on a young woman with Autism trying to raise awareness aboth climate issues. Thank you for reminding me why I don't want to watch his shit as I was tempted the other day.
And let's not forget his striking workers should be killed in front of their children quip. The man is a fucking toilet.

Maybe you need to take a beat when posting here. Before clicking 'Post reply', have a think about whether or not your latest uninformed opinion is checkably true.

In this case, a five-second google would have revealed that Clarkson's latest article for The Sunday Times is a political one. He is a political commentator, a very highly paid one who works for a very prominent publication. I won't link. The Sunday Times can fuck off.

As it is, you come across as someone who doesn't want to learn new things.

Just had a Labour canvasser knock on my door, I started off saying 'don't worry, you've knocked a safe door, and no I don't need a leaflet, I've already decided I'll be voting Labour.'

I asked how hard has it been canvassing in the village, as it's not natural Labour territory, and she said it certainly hasn't been easy, they started in the south of the village, where there's loads of big houses with long drives, and they found about 65-70% were saying they will not be voting Tory this time, despite being life-long Tory voters, but hadn't yet moved as far as voting Labour yet. They are expecting some will, others will go with the LibDems or Greens, many will just not bother voting.

Well, if that's the reactions in the few villages that are in the Worthing West constituency, the Tories are in deep trouble here, because the town will certainly be voting in large numbers for Labour, having handed them overall control of Worthing Borough Council in recent years, and handed Labour more than half the seats in the town, in the last West Sussex County Council elections.

They have landed almost 50 canvassers in the village, with the plan to knock every one of the approx. 3000 properties, remarkable effort, and good luck to them.

Labour HQ really pushes twinning too. A friend was saying that in her area, HQ expects each councillor to do 4 activities a week in a designated, phone banking can only make up 1/4.

Back
Top Bottom