Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

I think the debates could be very interesting. Sunak has a couple of good lines against Starmer being untrustworthy, because he is, and that some of his policies are just spin (like Great British Energy which is an investment firm, not an energy company).

And old mate Keith doesn't come off well in live interviews, he can get tetchy and say really weird shit when he's under pressure.

There's still a lot of track left in this race.

It ain't going to matter to the ultimate result but the mess Starmer has made over the last few days on the Abbott etc selection front does rather indicate that his LP is not good under pressure,
There've been some signs before, that for a party running on a competence agenda once the spotlight is on them Starmer and his mates don't do as well as they sell themselves.

I'm figuring that the blue arc around the wash indicates largely rural/agricultural areas that were always deferential tory voting areas that saw big shifts towards 'Reform's' predecessor parties as concerns over migrants from the accession states were exploited.

It's an interesting historical note that the Wash being drained was one of Britain's major internal colonisation projects, displacing the old Fennish peoples in the 17th century and replacing them wholesale with sinecures for bigwigs and government men.

How is that relevant? Some people make your skin crawl because of their personality, behaviour and expressed opinions, regardless of whether they directly affect your life or not.
Your question betrays your inherent Thatcherite leanings.
Wow that really is one of the most bizarre mental leaps that you have come out with it. If you don't want to watch it then don't watch it then

Medway, Sheppey, Essex I understand all too well.
New Forest /Salisbury zone, slightly surprised its that different from other areas like the costwolds or whatnot.
But the East coast Yorkshire/ Lincolnshire spine does surprise me - not areas I really know...Farmers in Lincolnshire I guess... I had a different impression of Yorkshire ...maybe its outdated.
FT have a vote profile of Whitby Woman here which at least in part is a factor of Yorkshire Conservatism

Our research (Polling Company) suggests that “Whitby Woman” will play an outsized role in shaping the result when the country goes to the polls this time.

Likely to be around 61, in the past Whitby Woman was a reliable Tory voter. Her instincts are aligned with a Conservative rather than Labour policy platform. But this time, disillusionment with Conservative ministers’ handling of the cost of living, frustration over failure to control immigration and doubts about Rishi Sunak personally have pushed her into the undecided column. Now the Tories need to win her back. Policies targeting these voters have already been aired — the national service plan, pensions “triple lock plus” and scrapping degree courses resonate with Whitby Woman.

What will really make the difference is back up the east coast. If Whitby Woman abstains (as many Conservative voters did in 1997, helping Tony Blair to win big), votes Labour or for Reform UK, the Conservatives will be on course for a defeat as bad as that suffered by John Major at Blair’s hands — potentially even worse.

Wow that really is one of the most bizarre mental leaps that you have come out with it. If you don't want to watch it then don't watch it then
What’s the mental leap there then?
And what’s your point with the second sentence?

So, it's self-interest really.
Aye, this was unknowingly summed up quite well by the husband of an old uni mate, before one of the recent elections.

I wasn't there, but my friend who was said the husband saw voting as simply a choice of "whose policies will be better for me, personally".

It's one of those where I can sort of see the logic, but also can never really fully understand the outlook. Before we even get into the fact that, generally speaking, a better life for others in your society means a better life for you overall.

I think the debates could be very interesting. Sunak has a couple of good lines against Starmer being untrustworthy, because he is, and that some of his policies are just spin (like Great British Energy which is an investment firm, not an energy company).

And old mate Keith doesn't come off well in live interviews, he can get tetchy and say really weird shit when he's under pressure.

There's still a lot of track left in this race.
Somehow I don't think the debates will be intresting..its all spin: be seen to do stuff and fuck the detail -on both sides...

The answer to that question is No, that's not how most people react at all. Why would you expect them to do that? The man comes across as a bit of annoying plonker (one of the things that makes him funny tbh). For what reason do you dislike Clarkson enough to switch over when he comes on? Have you met him? has he inflicted personal harm on you? I get your not a fan (fair enough not everybody is) but it seems strange to me that someone you don't know and hasn't directly affected you can cause intense dislike.
The guy spouts transphobic and sexist shit and uses his massive media clout to share those views under the guise of edgy comedy. Those comments affect people that I know and there is a knock on affect as it contributes towards the narriatives that are causing harm to people. I imagine that this is fairly common on Urban and so it is not strange that people have an extreme aversion to anything he's on no matter how good the show apparently is.

Saying he is merely an "annoying plonker" shows that you are fortunate enough to not be in a group that he has decided to target on any given day for a few column views. Remember this is a guy who went all in on a young woman with Autism trying to raise awareness about climate issues. Thank you for reminding me why I don't want to watch his shit as I was tempted the other day.

Last edited:
What’s the mental leap there then?
And what’s your point with the second sentence?
That talking about Jeremy Clarkson makes me a potential Thatcherite?
Somehow I don't think the debates will be intresting..its all spin: be seen to do stuff and fuck the detail -on both sides...
I don't intend to watch not because of like or dislike of either candidate but because I expect it to be content-free

That talking about Jeremy Clarkson makes me a potential Thatcherite?

I don't intend to watch not because of like or dislike of either candidate but because I expect it to be content-free
It’s not Jeremy Clarkson himself, but you thinking that you only have to be personally affected by something negative to care about it. That’s ‘there’s no such thing as society’ as fuck.
There are other things you’ve posted that betray your lack of communitarianism of course.

The guys spouts transphobic and sexist shit and uses his massive media clout to share those views under the guise of edgy comedy. Those comments affect people that I know and there is a knock on affect as it contributes towards the narriatives that are causing harm to people. I imagine that this is fairly common on Urban and so it is not strange that people have an extreme aversion to anything he's on no matter how good the show apparently is.

Saying he is merely an "annoying plonker" shows that you are fortunate enough to not be in a group that he has decided to target on any given day for a few column views. Remember this is a guy who went all in on a young woman with Autism trying to raise awareness aboth climate issues. Thank you for reminding me why I don't want to watch his shit as I was tempted the other day.
You raise some good points in your first paragraph however on the subject of Greta Thunberg she is an active and vocal campaigner, should her autism therefore get her a free pass from all criticism?

You raise some good points in your first paragraph however on the subject of Greta Thunberg she is an active and vocal campaigner, should her autism therefore get her a free pass from all criticism?
It wasnt well thought out criticism though was it? I did almost come back and edit that she had autism, but I do think if I had serious clout and I was making comments about someone in the media that I would take into consideration all of the factors about them including Neurodivergency, age etc. If I wanted to be critical of her in the media I'd probably keep it respectful and not say that she's angry (how dare a young woman watching her world be destroyed is angry) and she needs a smacked bottom. Seriously weird vibes from those comments which is why they always stood out to me.

The guys a fucking cock and its up to you if you want to keep overlooking that as you find it all rather amusing.

Back
Top Bottom