Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

what does that prove? are you saying they came up with this policy in the last three days?
looks like twitter nonsense

The 'plan' is not dissimilar to a article written by Elizabeth Braw at RUSI on the different Nordic systems five years ago - but the idea that what was an article, an idea, has somehow become a fully costed, thought out plan, is just utter bollocks.

MOD had absolutely no input, for example.

So yes, it's an idea that's long been out there - but the idea that this was 'secret' plan long held at Tory HQ is just incorrect. It's just been grabbed off the internet and held up 'look, it's a policy!'

Again, the whole 'rushing to believe the words of proven liars despite very loud logic' thing.

Last edited:
What magically happens when these guttersnipes reach the age of 40?

They realise that they're not 'young people' any more so they can start spouting a load of unsubstantiated bilge about how shit young people are at everything.

This is easier and more socially acceptable than admitting that the young person you're actually angry with is your younger self, a mediocrity on whom youth and potential were as wasted as age and experience are on you.

The 'plan' is not dissimilar to a article written by Elizabeth Braw at RUSI on the different Nordic systems five years ago - but the idea that what was an article, an idea, has somehow become a fully costed, thought out plan, is just utter bollocks.

MOD had absolutely no input, for example.

So yes, it's an idea that's long been out there - but the idea that this was 'secret' plan long held at Tory HQ is just incorrect. It's just been grabbed off the internet and held up 'look, it's a policy!'

Again, the whole 'rushing to believe the words of proven liars despite very loud logic' thing.

Could you imagine a younger, lower ranking Officer Kebabking being lumbered with me or pretty much any of the cunts on these boards?

Could you imagine a younger, lower ranking Officer Kebabking being lumbered with me or pretty much any of the cunts on these boards?

The Americans have a saying - that's it's better to expend things than people. Normally I'd agree with that, but I have noticed how effective at purging Russian society of its' anti-social elements their Human Wave tactics have been....😬

I'm probably too indoctrinated in Manoeuvre and Deep Fires warfare, but for me it would take a funding increase of vast proportions (doubling? of the defence budget) to provide the tanks, IFV's, APC's, Artillery, logistics and stockpiles that would make having a 500,000 person Army worthwhile.

That said, we were spending 5% for the majority of the post-1945 period, so it's not like we're talking about building a bridge to the Sun.

If you have me the fat wedge I'd certainly have a bigger Army with a lot more equipment (as well as a large funding increase for the RAF and RN), but a sizable proportion of our woes are about National/Defence doctrine, choices, industrial strategy and procurement, and they are about political choices rather than strictly military ones.

The other side of that is that if we're were pushed into a Ukraine type war - extended/indefinite, and of national/societal survival - then it would be far better to have a rapidly scalable national service/conscription in operation, than to be looking for one.

The Americans have a saying - that's it's better to expend things than people. Normally I'd agree with that, but I have noticed how effective at purging Russian society of its' anti-social elements their Human Wave tactics have been....😬

I'm probably too indoctrinated in Manoeuvre and Deep Fires warfare, but for me it would take a funding increase of vast proportions (doubling? of the defence budget) to provide the tanks, IFV's, APC's, Artillery, logistics and stockpiles that would make having a 500,000 person Army worthwhile.

That said, we were spending 5% for the majority of the post-1945 period, so it's not like we're talking about building a bridge to the Sun.

If you have me the fat wedge I'd certainly have a bigger Army with a lot more equipment (as well as a large funding increase for the RAF and RN), but a sizable proportion of our woes are about National/Defence doctrine, choices, industrial strategy and procurement, and they are about political choices rather than strictly military ones.

The other side of that is that if we're were pushed into a Ukraine type war - extended/indefinite, and of national/societal survival - then it would be far better to have a rapidly scalable national service/conscription in operation, than to be looking for one.

Re your last point, any capability invented as a gimmick is very unlikely to be scalable after it has bedded down. Its main skill would be defending its budget and its turf, which means that it would be much more efficient at stopping other capabilities from absorbing conscripts directly than at turning raw recruits into useful assets.

This "plan" is not really about bringing back conscription to strengthen the armed forces, and much of of the criticism appears to be based on the mistaken idea that it is, and so largely misses the mark.

Conservatives plan to bring back mandatory national service

The "plan" looks to me like an ill-thought out sound bite idea, but in response, both both Labour and the LibDems are (sabre) rattling on about how the armed forces need to be built up again.
Yeah, it's clearly not conscription as such, but they certainly haven't worked it out with the organisations they'd want to deliver it. It's bollocks.

Find a Tory donor who has never supplied anything to the military before but can get into the ‘fast lane’ for providing not fit for purpose kit at over inflated prices…
think Boeing and BAE etc might have ways to deal with anyone trying to muscle into their racket :D. If you were going to make National service a realistic plan for the UK it would take years need a fundemental reorganisation of the military and actual thought. rishis bullshit is just that and he should have to run to the tree of knowledge and apologise for wasting it's precious gift of oxygen! ( it's character forming RUN YOU LIZARD RUN )

Yeah, it's clearly not conscription as such, but they certainly haven't worked it out with the organisations they'd want to deliver it. It's bollocks.

Capita_Launch.jpg

"Welcome, teenagers! Did any of you bring some scissors?"

But the prime minister’s allies believe the plan has achieved something that has eluded him for months: a hearing.One said: “For a long time people just weren’t listening to anything we said. By announcing the election, we are forcing people to engage in a conversation.”Sunak’s

1716760605850.png

The media are loving this bullshit. Milking it for another dozen phone ins. Even though they did this just a few months ago.

Transform Party’s initial (and likely growing) Left List of their own and left independent candidates aiming to run serious campaigns:

Well he's right about one thing he has seized control of the conversation. In much the same way as the ranting drunk in the pub that everyone is trying desperately to pretend isn't there.

Well he's right about one thing he has seized control of the conversation. In much the same way as the ranting drunk in the pub that everyone is trying desperately to pretend isn't there.

It’s not a very good dead cat if it sustains the narrative that Rishi is desperate, flailing, making it up as he goes along and completely out of touch with the electorate.

Back
Top Bottom