Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

We've got to "the left are going to undermine us!" part of liberal delirium already I see, complete with the repurposed antisemitism claim now levied at the Greens for daring to accept people who left Labour because Starmer is a fucking cunt.

It is foolish and indulgent for the left to split the Labour vote in 2024 but when the right did it in 2017 and 2019 it was good.

A whole load of the funding comes from scrapping the UK Shared Prosperity Fund, which is the already watered down successor to EU structural funding, which means a massive slap in the face for poorer parts of the country and absolutely the end of 'levelling up'. And basically another Brexit related lie as this type of funding pot continuing was promised by the government.

Absolutely .Great shame its only really been picked up by few journalists and local mayor's who focus on tackling regional inequalities

Garbage motives and likely not to happen in any way close to the promise but as an Idea its the best one to be proffered by the cunts in the last 24 years.
This country is lost as a society, the majority of people under 40 have little respect for others or ability to actually do shit

Last time I checked it was people over 40 who keep voting for the fucking tories.

This article seems to have upset a lot of people on Twitter. Personally I think he has a point:

It's by far the best article the Graun has come out with on the subject, so I'm not surprised Xitter is upset.

This country is lost as a society, the majority of people under 40 have little respect for others or ability to actually do shit
Given their voter base is mostly retirees at this point the Tories are quite literally the party of people who don't actually do shit. And anyone who works in retail or the trades will be laughing at the idea over-40s are a particularly respectful bunch.

There’s no risk of losing votes from people Who would be personally affected by this so-called policy.

Yes i know the people likely to be actually affected won't be old enough to vote yet but not every 18 year will understand that and nor will all parents of teenage kids.

Garbage motives and likely not to happen in any way close to the promise but as an Idea its the best one to be proffered by the cunts in the last 24 years.
You are officiallly an Old Git.

Tired old man shakes fist at clouds.

Watching the TV whilst doing the ironing there was some Tory Party drone blathering on about how they need more time to fix things.
Mrs Q: fix? You're responsible for them you fucking dimwit
Youngest Q: Mum language please
Mrs Q: cover your ears sweetie, (addressing the telly) you've been in power for 14 years you bunch of deranged fucking morons and you want more time? To do fucking what? How can you screw things up anymore?
Me: You realise that he can't hear you right?
Youngest Q: I wouldn't be so sure about that Dad, that was pretty heartfelt
When she goes full on Scouse I can remember why I fell for this woman

This article seems to have upset a lot of people on Twitter. Personally I think he has a point:

Replacing Sunak with Starmer is like being a kid in hospital in the 70s, and being told the Jimmy Savile visit has been cancelled, only to hear the sound of a didgeridoo coming down the corridor.

We've got to "the left are going to undermine us!" part of liberal delirium already I see, complete with the repurposed antisemitism claim now levied at the Greens for daring to accept people who left Labour because Starmer is a fucking cunt.

It is foolish and indulgent for the left to split the Labour vote in 2024 but when the right did it in 2017 and 2019 it was good.
Starmer's Labour has spent the last 5 years telling us that they neither wanted nor needed left-wing votes. There's no point in them crying when it finally dawns on them that they alienated a large cohort of voters.

Ugh

Can't quite imagine 18yo Rishi and his working class mates doing national service.

What a desperate plea. Curious to see what exemptions they'd hide in the details so that the ruling class can keep the progeny out of this. Laughable
We'll never know, but if it ever did happen, you can bet subsidised gap years would be part of the deal.

National Service was abolished in 1960 and the last conscript left it in 1963 so the youngest would be about 81.

older than that - you would need to be 84 and a bit to have done national service - my father (born 1935) did, an uncle (born 1942) didn't.

anyone born after 1 October 1939 wasn't required to do national service.

the men starting national service by 1960 were older than 18 but had deferred (you were allowed to defer rather than interrupt an apprenticeship or degree course, there were also a few jobs where you were exempt (far fewer than the number of 'reserved occupations' during the war itself) where you could get called up if you left that job within a few years.

Two words, the second being 'off'.

National Service was abolished in 1960 and the last conscript left it in 1963 so the youngest would be about 81. There are still plenty about, my Dad and Uncles did it. The only man of their age I know who didn't was my FiL and that was because he volunteered for the Navy at 16. Stayed for 22 years and loved it, even today he misses no chance to bore people completely witless talking about it. Tbf some of his stories are quite interesting or at least they were the first dozen or so times.

If they ever do a re-boot of 'Only Fools & Horses', he should apply as a replacement for the grandad/uncle role.

Conscription if your going to do it becomes part of your national defence strategy your military becomes a carde that in times of war us filled with fresh conscripts and reservists.
This is a massive effort and involves all of society. Torys are doing it on the cheap even if only 1/4 if 18yrolds were eligible that's 180000 or double the size of the current army.
If its going to be a tiny minority with the rest getting community service that's going to piss people off. TARQUIN AND CO get to go off on a gap year Kevin gets to be a part time HCA doesn't even get the option to play soldiers. The few that do get to shout bang occasionally on Salisbury plain as there's no blanks😥

Looking forward to the reformation of the Order of the White Feather tomorrow.

Hopefully, they will open it to men, and I can spend my retirement years handing them out to any 18-year old layabouts I see hanging around the High Street. :thumbs:

Watching the TV whilst doing the ironing there was some Tory Party drone blathering on about how they need more time to fix things.
Mrs Q: fix? You're responsible for them you fucking dimwit
Youngest Q: Mum language please
Mrs Q: cover your ears sweetie, (addressing the telly) you've been in power for 14 years you bunch of deranged fucking morons and you want more time? To do fucking what? How can you screw things up anymore?
Me: You realise that he can't hear you right?
Youngest Q: I wouldn't be so sure about that Dad, that was pretty heartfelt
When she goes full on Scouse I can remember why I fell for this woman
Was it you doing the ironing?

Reactions: tim
“Bring back national service, starting with the last group that didn’t do it last time. After all, they are the people most in favour of reintroducing it, so surely they must be the ones keenest to get into khaki. Plus, lots of people in their 70s are fit(-ish), will have useful skills and are already retired, so won’t be leaving employers in the lurch. Many of them could also do with structured exercise and losing a bit of weight to reduce pressure on the NHS.”

From Conservative Home. Even on there 95% of them think this is a stupid idea which will cost them votes…

Back
Top Bottom