Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

“Bring back national service, starting with the last group that didn’t do it last time. After all, they are the people most in favour of reintroducing it, so surely they must be the ones keenest to get into khaki. Plus, lots of people in their 70s are fit(-ish), will have useful skills and are already retired, so won’t be leaving employers in the lurch. Many of them could also do with structured exercise and losing a bit of weight to reduce pressure on the NHS.”

From Conservative Home. Even on there 95% of them think this is a stupid idea which will cost them votes…
I think it'd be a great idea, to give young people weapons training and the sort of practical teamwork that'd help reinvigorate british organised crime. But the tories would find a way to fuck it up

i'm sure the people who supplied PPE kit during covid will be able to convert to doing military uniforms and the like...
Yeah but no...covid act suspended normal government procurement procedures as things were needed in a hurry...yes people did take the piss but was quite the black swan

Yeah but no...covid act suspended normal government procurement procedures as things were needed in a hurry...yes people did take the piss but was quite the black swan

i'm sure that the 'national emergency' legislation that re-introduces conscription would have something in the small print...

older than that - you would need to be 84 and a bit to have done national service - my father (born 1935) did, an uncle (born 1942) didn't.

anyone born after 1 October 1939 wasn't required to do national service.

the men starting national service by 1960 were older than 18 but had deferred (you were allowed to defer rather than interrupt an apprenticeship or degree course, there were also a few jobs where you were exempt (far fewer than the number of 'reserved occupations' during the war itself) where you could get called up if you left that job within a few years.
My Dad was born in 1935 and his younger brother end of 1938 so he must have been amongst the very last

I disagree, they have known they had an election this year and they will have a plan for that campaign - expect more policy announcements yet to come.
National Service is popular with a certain type of voter
We've had a European-wide drum beat for militarising society further, we are proudly told we are post-peace, and this fits that neatly.
It's a good move from the Tories, but they're going to need a lot more like this to rile up the voters
Maybe bring back hanging next
Nothing less than the birch. Quick, effective and always leaves a mark.

Garbage motives and likely not to happen in any way close to the promise but as an Idea its the best one to be proffered by the cunts in the last 24 years.
This country is lost as a society, the majority of people under 40 have little respect for others or ability to actually do shit
The youth of today. :(

Sunak is away with the billionaire faires...

Of his national service brainfart, he says; "competitive military commission". How on earth is the military competitive?

Then he says they can do charity work instead, like delivering medicines to the infirm, or, and I shit thee not, "search and rescue".

This guy is on another planet.

Literally pulled out of his arse? It was proposed by a think tank a few weeks back so was literally extruded from someone else's and then pulled from his which even for a Tory is quite impressive.

It gets a monthly write up and has done from various columnists and think tanks for the last several years. It's one of those forever ideas about how the young don't know what's good for em hit em harder.

Sunak has just hit the red button without actually telling the rest of cabinet let alone the party - I suspect due to Labours lowering the voting age announcement the same day.

Releasing a big new policy at like eight on Saturday night when you've said your taking the day off from campaigning suggests Sunak has indeed pulled it out of his arse.

My general impression is young people are more than happy to volunteer and be involved in things. Probably one of the biggest movements which have brought people together and broken down barriers between geographical areas, the response to the bombardment of the people of Gaza, has been met by Tory attempts to criminalise and trivialise.

what does that prove? are you saying they came up with this policy in the last three days?
looks like twitter nonsense

Yes, I think it does prove that.

Not Twitter nonsense, Hansard. At least, according to theyworkforyou, which I take to be a reliable source.

Garbage motives and likely not to happen in any way close to the promise but as an Idea its the best one to be proffered by the cunts in the last 24 years.
This country is lost as a society, the majority of people under 40 have little respect for others or ability to actually do shit
Bollocks, absolute, fucking, unadulterated, knee jerk, no brain bollocks.

Cheers - Louis (I hope I've made myself clear) MacNeice

Back
Top Bottom