Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

General Election 2024

Week One: The Farce of Rishi Sunak
Week Two: Labour vs Labour
Week Three: The Rise (... again) of Nigel Farage
Week Four: D-Day Crash Landings
Week Five: Supermajorities, tax and spend black holes, Contracts with Nigel Farage, We're All Seat Projection Websites Now, and Ed Davey Having A Lovely Time.
Week Six: Inflation Falls ("The Plan is Working!"); I for one welcome our opinion poll overlords; JK Rowling supports the Communist Party; Nigel Farage speaks for Russia (today); Labour doesn't talk about council tax; Reform takes on the Daily Mail; Tories don't know how to play (bet)fair; Greens learn how leaflets backfire; Someone please stop the Telegraph from hatewanking itself into oblivion.

Final week, people, we can do this, we can all do this.

Ah. those thick, racist people on council estates who wont talk about 'real concerns'. :rolleyes:
I’m sure in the future when you are being harassed, beaten up or worse it will be a great comfort to you that those doing it are from the wholesome white lumpenproletariat. Of course, if you are a white middle class person living in a more metropolitan area of the country this is not likely to come your way until those of us less fortunate have been forced out of our homes, for being “different”….

I've said before that I've seen loads of Labour posters, a handful of Green ones, but none for the Tories. Yesterday I saw over half dozen Tory posters and even a banner with 'Sir Peter Bottomley' on it.

But, I am not counting them, as they were all on the local Tory party HQ. :D

For your “enjoyment”
Of course, feel free to dismiss it based on whataboutery about Novara, or “middle class poverty tourism” or whatever. I did find the shock of a Londoner discovering what conditions give rise to the likes of Anderson revealing though.

General Election 2024

Week One: The Farce of Rishi Sunak
Week Two: Labour vs Labour
Week Three: The Rise (... again) of Nigel Farage
Week Four: D-Day Crash Landings
Week Five: Supermajorities, tax and spend black holes, Contracts with Nigel Farage, We're All Seat Projection Websites Now, and Ed Davey Having A Lovely Time.
Week Six: Inflation Falls ("The Plan is Working!"); I for one welcome our opinion poll overlords; JK Rowling supports the Communist Party; Nigel Farage speaks for Russia (today); Labour doesn't talk about council tax; Reform takes on the Daily Mail; Tories don't know how to play (bet)fair; Greens learn how leaflets backfire; Someone please stop the Telegraph from hatewanking itself into oblivion.

Final week, people, we can do this, we can all do this.
Polling from Ipsos to complement your commentary...

I’m sure in the future when you are being harassed, beaten up or worse it will be a great comfort to you that those doing it are from the wholesome white lumpenproletariat. Of course, if you are a white middle class person living in a more metropolitan area of the country this is not likely to come your way until those of us less fortunate have been forced out of our homes, for being “different”….
Patronising wanker

For your “enjoyment”
Of course, feel free to dismiss it based on whataboutery about Novara, or “middle class poverty tourism” or whatever. I did find the shock of a Londoner discovering what conditions give rise to the likes of Anderson revealing though.

What's your point? Some people are racist? Some people feel ignored and neglected and disenfranchised by the mainstream parties so will support/vote for an alternative? I mean these are not exactly original thoughts.

Has anyone been watching The Rest is Politics? The re-formatting of BBC 2 Newsnight,means you get one Tory MP one Labour MP and one BBC Youth journalist as a "panel" and Victoria Derbyshire and Nick Watt pretending the programme is still serious even though there are no segments to discuss.
I find The Rest is Politics fills my comfort zone. It may be cheap - but I like it!

What does “a majority of those canvassed” suggest to you?
A majority of those canvassed obviously. What else would it mean? :confused:

Just like 'wall to wall Reform placards' would mean well Reform placards everywhere. Wall to wall you might say.

Anyway, i really have better things to do so I'll leave you to it. Have fun.

I've been wondering recently about the timing of visits by door-knockers. With their target demographic being old people, are the Tories the only ones who come out canvassing during the day on weekdays?

Not had anyone knock on my door at all (daytime or otherwise) so haven't been able to test my hypothesis.

Not saying you're old MickiQ btw! :D
actually, it appears I told a fib before. Got an email inviting me to start canvassing (with a Star, whose name they could not reveal) from 10am today.

I did not do so.

What's your point? Some people are racist? Some people feel ignored and neglected and disenfranchised by the mainstream parties so will support/vote for an alternative? I mean these are not exactly original thoughts.
I think th epoint is that this clip shows the reality of a liberal, if 'far' left, media source facing that community directly, and witnessing it. Not comfortable given that Moya is mixed race

For your “enjoyment”

There's no dismissing it, though I think the emphasis you put on it is wrong. Also, there's no real 'shock' on the part of the interviewer. Exactly these videos were made by that John Whatisit in the Guardian in the Brexit campaign and before. And also, people know about the attitudes and conditions in places like Ashfield simply by living there.

But back to the bit about your emphasis being wrong. You'll get no disagreement from me on the point that places where there is a backlash against the decline of decades of neo-liberalism can be very difficult for minorities. Worse than 'difficult' for migrants in particular. But what happens if you paint places like Ashfield as shark infested, dangerous, 'other' even? How do you ever move towards some kind of working class politics, how do you build something out of the (literal) ruins? Where does solidarity start?

I’m amused by the reporting saying they shat in one of his lakes. How many does he have? Do we need more people on the job?
Yes, they may have to rewrite the job descriptions for gamekeepers on his estate: 'habitat management... promotion of biodiversity.. protection from fecal ninjas...'.

Back
Top Bottom