Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Since I became ill I've found myself very forgiving - it's a rather nice place to be. I look at Sunak and tend to think he's probably a decent chap to talk to at a BBQ, but he's so so shit at politics. The gambling thing why didn't he cut the greedy losers free the moment they were being investigated rather than drag it out?
I partly agree: my mental image is of Sunak as a sixth former who has wandered into the Heads office then been told he has the job. On a human (non-political) level he looks like a nice bloke out of his depth. Whereas Starmer is shifty venal lying scum on all levels, indeed both Victoria and the Baroness might agree 😉

So it looks as if the Labour candidate in Suffolk who has been suspended after being identified as a wrong’un by the Gambling Commission had bet not on the election date, but that he was going to lose the seat. That actually sounds more like a hedge against a disappointing outcome than a cunning ploy to throw the election and win a few hundred quid, particularly as he was rich enough to have donated £100k (now returned) to the party. However, it’s a really annoying blow to the Tory sleaze narrative.

Our new Tory candidate is being endorsed by Rory Stewart..... who recently said he wouldn't vote Tory.

Local Tory activists are trying to claim it says a lot about her credentials if he supports her when he's no longer a Tory. Hmmmm🤔

Had my first door stop canvassers today on behalf of the Tories. They woke me up from my afternoon nap as well, bastards! That's another reason to hate them.
I've been wondering recently about the timing of visits by door-knockers. With their target demographic being old people, are the Tories the only ones who come out canvassing during the day on weekdays?

Not had anyone knock on my door at all (daytime or otherwise) so haven't been able to test my hypothesis.

Not saying you're old MickiQ btw! :D

Last edited:
So it looks as if the Labour candidate in Suffolk who has been suspended after being identified as a wrong’un by the Gambling Commission had bet not on the election date, but that he was going to lose the seat. That actually sounds more like a hedge against a disappointing outcome than a cunning ploy to throw the election and win a few hundred quid, particularly as he was rich enough to have donated £100k (now returned) to the party. However, it’s a really annoying blow to the Tory sleaze narrative.
Aye, but serves starmer right for all his feet wouldn't touch the floor" stuff.

I've been wondering recently about the timing of visits by door-knockers. With their target demographic being old people, are the Tories the only ones who come out canvassing during the day on weekdays?

Not had anyone knock on my door at all (daytime or otherwise) so haven't been able to test my hypothesis.

Depends where you are, but Labour definitely campaign afternoon onwards. Tho canvassing was banned here for the last England game.

I haven't had anyone come to the door yet (I got 2 more lib dem leaflets through the door today)

Had a lib dem come to the door before the local elections, which resulted in a lot of heckling from the cat who lives in the flat downstairs (don't know if she's like that with all politicians, tories tend not to venture here as it's council estate and think labour have given up trying here)

Think it isn't uncommon during election time as loads of people take time off.

Also depends on age of party. If you have lots of students, semi retired or retired then it is quite normal.

I think all the steps up to our front doors put canvassers off visiting our road. I have about 30 steps but some of my neighbours have more than 70.

Anyone who isn't fit tends to be out of breath by the time they reach the front door which makes it very difficult to launch into a speech about why I should vote for them. :D

Slightly disappointed our "Don't knock on the door if you're selling something etc" sticker isn't temporarily removable. I'd happily chat to any canvasser no matter what party.

Our new Tory candidate is being endorsed by Rory Stewart..... who recently said he wouldn't vote Tory.

Local Tory activists are trying to claim it says a lot about her credentials if he supports her when he's no longer a Tory. Hmmmm🤔

Almost as if there's little discernable difference between many candidates for the two parties.

Almost as if there's not much point in them belonging to different parties at all.

And the Cabinet minister who journos were convinced would be caught up in this turns out to be Alister Jack, who placed his bets before May.

Hmm, I wonder how the now suspended Labour guy got nominated for that seat on the first place?
If he could afford to throw in 100k, I wonder how much he put on at the bookies? Probably not the sort of person who deals in £20 flutters.

On the same theme, iirc didn't some betting company scumbag donate to kieth's leadership campaign. I'm sure he'll be sending that back as well.

Edit, yes, Peter Coates, bet365 owner. £25,000.

If he could afford to throw in 100k, I wonder how much he put on at the bookies? Probably not the sort of person who deals in £20 flutters.

On the same theme, iirc didn't some betting company scumbag donate to kieth's leadership campaign. I'm sure he'll be sending that back as well.
He's reinvested it on races at leopardstown, newmarket and epsom

I partly agree: my mental image is of Sunak as a sixth former who has wandered into the Heads office then been told he has the job. On a human (non-political) level he looks like a nice bloke out of his depth. Whereas Starmer is shifty venal lying scum on all levels, indeed both Victoria and the Baroness might agree 😉
To summarise, you are saying that Starmer is shifty venal lying scum, but Sunak is merely out of his depth?

Are you serious?

For a nice bloke outside politics he does surround himself with an unusually high number of racists and chancers

Back
Top Bottom