Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

The Tories have been unreal since the election date was announced. How many more fuckups can they fit into 2 weeks? :D
Lots. Wait for the serious backstabbing to really get going.
Theres no need for any of them to hold their breath. I expect a lot more scandals over the next week.
I also wonder what BoJo has to say in reply to Farage slagging him off.

Anyway here in funpacked Islington North - walked through the park on Saturday and bumped into Corbyn giving a speech to around 100 or so young fresh faced supporters apparantly aiming to knock on every door in the borough over the weekend. Quite a lot of posters for him up in local shops around Finsbury Park, and not just the young hipster places you might expect but a couple of off licences, the big hair shop, a Halal butchers, a couple of Turkish barbers and a locksmith's amongst others - which suggests he's cutting across demographics and carrying the traditional Labour support.

Labour themselves invisible so far apart from one leaflet through the door. Still difficult to call imo but he's certainly having a much better and more visible campaign.

Need more than 100 people to knock on all of the doors! Although 100 is a very good number to be clear.

Vast majority of parties would bite your hand off if you could deliver 100 keen people to door knock

ML tendency not impressed by their new billionaire supporter.

View attachment 430468
I've seen it before but the "conversion therapy's okay as long as it's only for trans people" bit is always wild to me, its a flat out admission that you know it's torture by zealots and you're okay with that as long as it's against a hated other. The CPB being broadly in the gender critical camp, this is very much a case of mostly hinged (in the wrong) vs entirely unhinged.

I've seen it before but the "conversion therapy's okay as long as it's only for trans people" bit is always wild to me, its a flat out admission that you know it's torture and you're okay with that as long as it's against a hated other. The CPB being broadly in the gender critical camp, this is very much a case of mostly hinged vs entirely unhinged.
But don’t forget that JK has always supported trans people. She is their biggest ally and definitely doesn’t spout hate filled bollocks at all.

This is my local Tory effort, make of it what you will.

View attachment 430409View attachment 430410
Ha ha! aren't they stupid!

We got another leaflet a few hours later. Again from the Tories. It's from their actual candidate apparenelty. Completely different, the usual "i fight for local issues stuff". No idea who this double barrel horror is and don't care, but I'm wondering if there are actually a couple of campaigns happening simultaneously since this is a new consitutency comprising an over sized chunk of the west country over the mendips incorporating existing constituencies into ours which includes the existing tory candidate(s) within.

Oh who fucking cares

Green Party often puts up 'paper candidates' in wards/constituencies they know they've no hope of winning, but do so to give the electorate the choice.

They're 'paper candidates' in the sense of being on the ballot paper, but it's likely there will be no canvassing or active campaigning because, as you rightly point out, their efforts will be focussed on target seats, so even the 'paper candidates' will often not do any canvassing or campaigning for themselves, but will go and help a fellow candidate in a target seat.

Mrs Shoes did that for the 2010 election. I think it's partly so they have enough candidates to qualify for a party political broadcast.

She ended up going to hustings and being booed by pensioners for speaking in favour of migration.

This must be deliberate by the Guardian

the road traffic accident that almost killed him when he was hit by a petrol tanker while cycling in the US. Severe damage to his frontal lobe left him delusional, angry, incoherent, amnesiac and uncoordinated.

Fourteen years on, he has made an astonishing recovery and is running for parliament as the Conservative candidate for Colchester.

I know this is from Cole of the Scum, but it does continue to look like the media have a pretty good idea that a senior vermin MP/Cabinet minister has placed a July election bet....

I'm starting to wonder how many of the tories have put bets on a labour win and are trying to throw the election

:p

The Jack Blanchard (Politico) and Sam Coates (Sky) podcast of today was interesting on this - it appears that a) the total number of political bets is absolutely tiny, and b) the gambling industry thinks that they're aren't any more big names or their spouces involved.

Turns out the total number of bets on political stuff in the UK in May and June, where winning the bet would win more than £199.00, is 'a few hundred'.

First 6 minutes or so.

Now the interesting ones.

First off, independent, pal of TH mayor (Lutfur Rahman who is a wrong un and no mistake).

Are Labour planning to deport Bangladeshi's?

IMG_4482.jpeg

IMG_4481.jpeg

By the by, there are 4,515 candidates standing this year, the highest/greatest number ever, up from 3,415 last time. Each has to pay a deposit, totalling £2,257,500. I dare say the greatest amount of lost deposits could be on the way come the counting of the votes.

By the by, there are 4,515 candidates standing this year, the highest/greatest number ever, up from 3,415 last time. Each has to pay a deposit, totalling £2,257,500. I dare say the greatest amount of lost deposits could be on the way come the counting of the votes.

Anyone know what happens to lost deposit money? Does the returning officer get to keep it on behalf of the local authority or does it get paid to Government general funds?

Anyone know what happens to lost deposit money? Does the returning officer get to keep it on behalf of the local authority or does it get paid to Government general funds?
Exactly that. Back into the Consolidated Fund.

In the 2017 General Election there were 1,568 candidates who lost their £500 deposit (47.5% of all candidates). In total £784,000 worth of deposits were forfeited.

Back
Top Bottom