Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

That's what the Sunday Times implied, I am sure they have more names ready to be exposed by the Times over the next few days, other media outlets must be scrambling around trying to find those names, so they out can do the Times.

I don’t think the Times and the Sunday Times collaborate to that extent.

That's what the Sunday Times implied, I am sure they have more names ready to be exposed by the Times over the next few days, other media outlets must be scrambling around trying to find those names, so they out can do the Times.
all power to their elbows

I'd love to know the circumstances that led to them including the copper in their betting scam. 'Look, you police chappie! Here's a tip that will make you hundreds. All you have to do is forget that you saw, you know, that little incident'.

1719166646209.png

Pork & Stilton, from Harry Tuffins in Craven Arms.
c16c7d43370dbf09eec12714112006fc--memes-birthdays.jpg

Green Party often puts up 'paper candidates' in wards/constituencies they know they've no hope of winning, but do so to give the electorate the choice.

They're 'paper candidates' in the sense of being on the ballot paper, but it's likely there will be no canvassing or active campaigning because, as you rightly point out, their efforts will be focussed on target seats, so even the 'paper candidates' will often not do any canvassing or campaigning for themselves, but will go and help a fellow candidate in a target seat.
Well, quite.
...but. in the locals they have all 3 seats in my ward. And 2/3 of neighbouring wards (iirc). So there is a local base. Which in 2017 and 2019 was lent to Labour. But both Labour and Greens ought to be mindful that is/was conditional. There's no party loyalty. There's a sizeable chunk of the electorate up for grabs if a Party is willing to go there.

I was in the south Shropshire constituency yesterday, oot 'naboot, bit of picnic, bit of paddling, bit of cake....

I saw two Tory roadside posters - 10ft sq? - and that was it. One Labour poster in Church Stretton, one in Cleobury Mortimer, and two in Ludlow, and loads of Lib Dem posters in houses and gardens, as well as roadside banners the whole way through. Drove about 60miles, passed through 4 towns and a couple of villages.

Probably 80+ LD posters for every one for Tory.

I also had a pie.
View attachment 430338
The pastry on the lhs of the picture has the same profile as the mp for islington north

Green Party often puts up 'paper candidates' in wards/constituencies they know they've no hope of winning, but do so to give the electorate the choice.

They're 'paper candidates' in the sense of being on the ballot paper, but it's likely there will be no canvassing or active campaigning because, as you rightly point out, their efforts will be focussed on target seats, so even the 'paper candidates' will often not do any canvassing or campaigning for themselves, but will go and help a fellow candidate in a target seat.
That's easily got the making of a BBC1 sitcom.

Is that the best Tuffins now that Church Stoke is shite ?

I'd say so - child #2 got herself an Oggie that must have weighed about 2lb, and we found ourselves owning some excellent strawberries and Welsh cakes.

You can still get wellies, sewing stuff, a backpack, and all the other stuff.

Not been up the Clun Valley in an age, I must find an excuse...

Live in a London Labour stronghold and only poster I've seen for them was in a house where every other window had a big Union Jack in it which I'm guessing belongs to a Labour councillor/the candidate themselves. Customers at work are universally indifferent/disdainful of them too, even the ones who are members. Mad amount of apathy really, never seen the like.

Had a Labour canvasser yesterday, who entirely shared my view of the leadership, Gaza, our last-minute non-local Labour candidate, and sympathised very much with my likely decision to vote Green in this relatively safe Labour seat. Gave me a leaflet with a union jack and smiley candidate with some embarrassment.

Be funny as fuck if one of them wins
Jared O'Mara, 2017 in Sheffield.
wasn't expected to have any chance to win and wasn't a Labour target seat. just there to make up numbers.
didn't work out well in the end.

I'm sure there's been other occasional upsets

Reactions: tim
Jared O'Mara, 2017 in Sheffield.
wasn't expected to have any chance to win and wasn't a Labour target seat. just there to make up numbers.
didn't work out well in the end.

I'm sure there's been other occasional upsets
Well, except everyone in Sheffield knew he had an excellent chance, but yeah. There are going to be some truly awful Labour MPs who were never actually meant to be there.

I'm not particularly convinced that the Tories are campaigning in my constituency - the incumbent has a twenty thousand majority, and the MRP polls suggest it's going to be tighter than a fishes arse.

There's been two(?) single page flyers delivered by the postie, and that's - from what I've seen - it. Tory bloke has retweeted half a dozen fairly generic tweets, but I'm not aware of anything but the most sporadic door knocking. I don't think they've had a stall in any of the three towns - unlike both Labour and the Greens.

Well, quite.
...but. in the locals they have all 3 seats in my ward. And 2/3 of neighbouring wards (iirc). So there is a local base. Which in 2017 and 2019 was lent to Labour. But both Labour and Greens ought to be mindful that is/was conditional. There's no party loyalty. There's a sizeable chunk of the electorate up for grabs if a Party is willing to go there.
About 20 years ago, a Green candidate won a seat on the council in Manchester, very close to the city centre, although they only had it for one term.

A few years ago, a Labour councillor defected to Green, but didn't retain their seat.

More recently the Greens won three seats on the council in a ward in the south of the city.

Despite that, Manchester has pretty much been the city equivalent of a one party state for the past few decades.

For a long time, it's felt like Labour has been taking the electorate for granted. There are some good Labour councillors though, who genuinely care, but I think many more of them are party machine people.

Back
Top Bottom