Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Anyway here in funpacked Islington North - walked through the park on Saturday and bumped into Corbyn giving a speech to around 100 or so young fresh faced supporters apparantly aiming to knock on every door in the borough over the weekend. Quite a lot of posters for him up in local shops around Finsbury Park, and not just the young hipster places you might expect but a couple of off licences, the big hair shop, a Halal butchers, a couple of Turkish barbers and a locksmith's amongst others - which suggests he's cutting across demographics and carrying the traditional Labour support.

Labour themselves invisible so far apart from one leaflet through the door. Still difficult to call imo but he's certainly having a much better and more visible campaign.
I pass through Finsbury Park on the bus most days , lots of Corbyn posters up on shop windows.

The Jack Blanchard (Politico) and Sam Coates (Sky) podcast of today was interesting on this - it appears that a) the total number of political bets is absolutely tiny, and b) the gambling industry thinks that they're aren't any more big names or their spouces involved.

Turns out the total number of bets on political stuff in the UK in May and June, where winning the bet would win more than £199.00, is 'a few hundred'.

First 6 minutes or so.
5 more coppers according to bbc news.

Since I became ill I've found myself very forgiving - it's a rather nice place to be. I look at Sunak and tend to think he's probably a decent chap to talk to at a BBQ, but he's so so shit at politics. The gambling thing why didn't he cut the greedy losers free the moment they were being investigated rather than drag it out?

Last edited:
Since I became ill I've found myself very forgiving - it's a rather nice place to be. I look at Sunak and tend to think he's probably a decent chap to talk to at a BBQ, but he's so so shit at politics. The gambling thing why didn't he cut the greedy losers few the moment they were being investigated rather than drag it out?

It's a thing he's inherited from Johnson - defend, defend, defend - and then ditch. But only after you've sent a procession of ministers out onto TV and radio to defend the indefensible and look like idiots.

As often happens - James Cleverly in this case - was out plugging away at something he clearly doesn't believe in, and Sunak hangs him out to dry by reversing the policy, but not telling him before he went on TV - so he spouts the line, then the journo ambushes him with the new tweet/press release from No 10 while he's on air, and he has to defend two diametrically opposed policies and pretend that this is some carefully thought out plan that involves strong leadership from Sunak...

It's a thing he's inherited from Johnson - defend, defend, defend - and then ditch. But only after you've sent a procession of ministers out onto TV and radio to defend the indefensible and look like idiots.

As often happens - James Cleverly in this case - was out plugging away at something he clearly doesn't believe in, and Sunak hangs him out to dry by reversing the policy, but not telling him before he went on TV - so he spouts the line, then the journo ambushes him with the new tweet/press release from No 10 while he's on air, and he has to defend two diametrically opposed policies and pretend that this is some carefully thought out plan that involves strong leadership from Sunak...
Tbf, it does make the whole thing a lot more entertaining. :thumbs:

Which is bizarre as doing that is what got Boris kicked out of the big chair and Sunak hated Boris

Since I became ill I've found myself very forgiving - it's a rather nice place to be. I look at Sunak and tend to think he's probably a decent chap to talk to at a BBQ, but he's so so shit at politics. The gambling thing why didn't he cut the greedy losers few the moment they were being investigated rather than drag it out?
Decent for an evil multimillionaire Tory cunt. Yes you are very forgiving.

I'd imagine your situation gives you a unique perspective bemused.

I'd struggle to forgive Sunak and the Conservatives for everything they've done but I'd like to think that in your shoes, I might.

My Stepdad became very calm and forgiving when he knew he wasn't going to be around for a great deal longer. It was quite beautiful. I was pleased to see him at peace like that.

He fucking hated the Tories fwiw. :D

I'd imagine your situation gives you a unique perspective bemused.

I'd struggle to forgive Sunak and the Conservatives for everything they've done but I'd like to think that in your shoes, I might.

My Stepdad became very calm and forgiving when he knew he wasn't going to be around for a great deal longer. It was quite beautiful. I was pleased to see him at peace like that.

He fucking hated the Tories fwiw. :D
It has been weird to watch them burn an 80 seat majority. The party members who elected Truss also seem to be rather bonkers.

Imagine the fun stalin would have had if tv and social media had been things in the great helmsman's russia

Back
Top Bottom